How is Mac Performance right now?

It’s been a little over a year since I last logged in to World of Warcraft. Performance for Battle for Azeroth was notably worse for my 2014 iMac 5K than Legion and it only seemed to get worse with the release of new game updates and OS updates.

If I wanted readable text and even a stable 40 FPS I had to reduce most every setting and still allow my GPU to just go bonkers. My fans would go from quiet to absolutely blazing in a matter of minutes and my GPU temperatures would spike well beyond what the game used to demand. At first I thought my GPU was just going bad… going so far as to take it in to have a proper hardware test done.

But everything was fine. It wasn’t even very dusty. It seems to have just been WoW, or maybe Metal. In either case it made raiding next to impossible and even minor gameplay like solo questing became dicey as the GPU continued to be overtaxed.

So have there been any notable Mac performance improvements? My last experience would have been right around the initial release of Patch 8.1 (Tides of Vengeance initial release)

Sounds like you stopped playing just before the multithreaded improvements.

With your machine, performance should be virtually the same as windows. You’re in for a nice surprise.

on imac, it’s great

you can get a laptop but it will always have howling fan noise and the battery will cook itself to death