How good is Warriors at Tanking?

How Good are Warriors are in terms of Tanking in terms of the Protection Spec? Like Raids, Pvp, and Dungeons wise?

Warrior has a tank spec, yes.

10 Likes

I don’t do it often and I don’t push content with it, but I like to tank. I just macro’d Demo Shout to Ignore pain to reduce buttons to push. I also love Condemn as a tank.

1 Like

Dealing with caster mobs is kinda weird since you don’t have a way to pull them in the pack, but other than that it’s pretty good, specially on mitigating physical damage.

If you’re not pushing for those 20+ dungeons any tank is fine and dandy really.

I haven’t done it since towards the end of 9.0 and start of 9.1, but from what I remember prot warrior is hands down one of the best at dealing with physical damage. I could do massive pulls as long as dps kicked the magical spells, but the only problem is that if you pug and don’t have people kick spells then you are going to suffer massively.

For dungeons I would say they aren’t terrible, but there isn’t any reason at all to bring them over other tanks. The damage on it is kinda meh compared to the burst of other tanks, war is kind of a burst every 40 sec to a minute or so.

Raids they are great with physical.

PvP they used to be able to 1 shot at the start of 9.2.5 with their 4 set, idk if they got nerfed or not.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I haven’t played it since 9.1 :smiley:

EDIT: I just healed a prot warrior in a 15 plaguefall, it was definitely spikey damage profile. There were points where I could just leave him alone and he would be fine, and the other times I had to keep constant hots up on him, I would rank prot towards the lower end to heal tbh. Most other tanks I don’t have to heal them that much, seems prot needs a consistent stream of healing into them.

We’re trying to describe the meta across multiple different contexts. You can get a feel for that here:

M+: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/25/#class=Tanks

Raid: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/29/#class=Tanks

The meta is constantly shifting, so don’t blindly trust it. Tanks are built fairly well and designed overall for parity. Knowing your kit and maximizing synergy is what it boils down to.

This one doesn’t really fit because tanks aren’t designed to fit into the PvP game…

PvP: DK for Grip in large fights, Druid and DH for flag running, and Paladin for arena. Other tanks filling in these areas are only because the group couldn’t find the right spec and are trying to role fill (or you happen to be a good player in one of the other classes and have earned trust, which is incredibly hard to do unless you have a consistent team or guild elsewhere).

In short…

how do damage parses give a feel for how good warrior is at tanking

1 Like

Those aren’t damage parses, those are performance scores. For M+, they are based on key level and completion time (an aggregate of performance which discounts all speculation).

2 Likes

I have all tanks at 60 and always come back to my prot warrior . Even though the perception is we are the worst , the play style just works for me and what I do . I think it’s the best tank to learn on besides guardian but guardian is a 2 button spec lol

3 Likes

that is a clever idea I might have to give it a whirl thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

honestly, most warriors ive done mythic plus with are better than the dks and brewmasters, because the dks and brewmasters are usually fotm and the warriors are passionate lol

6 Likes

There is a talent or something that makes demo shout give you rage when you cast it, so if u macro /cast demo shout then /cast feel no pain, it should always give you enough rage to FNP when you do the shout. I find this very useful

i thought demo shout was for more revenge action, whilst dying faster. :rofl:

Booming voice: demo shout grants 40 rage and all enemys affected take increased dmg.

This is a good talent if you need some more survivability and also encourages one to demo shout on cd.

If you are looking for pure damage output then best served cold is the better talent.

I wish prot warriors had an ability like “Shield Brace: Brace behind your shield, line of sighting all attacking enemies and forcing them to come to you. Lasts 10 seconds, 30 second cooldown.”

3 Likes

We suffer in a few dungeons, but overall I think the whole meta thing is a bit exaggerated. Every key I’ve completed I’ve been more than capable of getting it done. Necrolord prot is nigh unkillable. Every time group wide damage goes out in keys my health bar barely moves. I pump out so much rage I never run out of ignore pain spam. They are a very fun spec to play

This would be amazing

I have all 20s to 21s timed as protection. Anger management, booming voice, and ravager are my choice talents. With AM talented, I’ll always have that lined up with ravager and demo shout for insane damage, rage generation, and defense. I’m typically NF but I do swap to venthyr because condemn is fun. My latest timed run was HoA 21 as venthyr. Sadly venthyr’s been bad almost all expansion. It makes me really sad. :frowning:

Wtf is feel no pain? Lmao

You even gave it an acronym which tells me you either think this is a real spell or you’re just having fun with the actual spell name

1 Like