How does the Arbiter judge morally ambiguous characters?

As others have said, I don’t think the Arbiter really factors in Morality. It is more to do with where they fit in the ‘machine’. Souls that would be considered evil but would serve their function in one of the realms like Maldraxxis are moved on. Souls with the potential to be useful but are potentially disruptive are sent to Ravendreth to be made more accommodating before being moved on to other realms. Souls which are potentially hazardous to the machine are thrown in the Maw.

I would put Sylvanas ending up in the Maw down to one of two things. One, the taint of her undeath brought by the power of the Lich King, who uses the power of the Maw, marked her as tainted and she was sent there or, her means of dying in Icecrown, where the veil between the Maw and Azeroth is thin lead her there. I don’t think anything she did as the Banshee Queen sent her there.

1 Like

Well, there was the development of the Blight, gassing farmers in a room in Hillsbrad as a blatant parallel to certain real world political entities rough 80 years ago or so, etc… Sylvanas did some pretty bad things. One of her earliest acts when she had free will was to ally with a Dreadlord and then make a bargain with Garithos, only to betray him later. The fact Garithos deserved his death (and worse) is immaterial to the fact that Sylvanas blatantly betrayed someone who had been her ally.

All that having been said, I agree, a straight shot to the Maw doesn’t make sense for Sylvanas as of the time she died atop Icecrown. Her actions paled in comparison to some of the stuff we’ve seen on Venthyr sinstones.

I think some death entity dragged her there on purpose, bypassing the Arbiter completely. I’d find it interesting if it were Helya.

The problem with that line of thought is we know Garrosh is in Revendreth and I really have a hard time seeing how he could be a threat to the Shadowlands. Without Y’Shaarj he’s just a normal warrior (strong, but normal, no dangerous magic stuff).

Moral ambiguity is a mortal construct to justify their actions.

An action is either right or wrong. Period. And a perfect deity can perfectly decide whether any given action is right or wrong regardless of any extenuating circumstances that might make it hard for an imperfect mortal to judge.

The Arbiter doesn’t judge morally ambiguous characters because to them there is no situation that is morally ambiguous.

This is the reason the concept of Penitence exists. In a Just system, the Punishment fits the crime and when someone doesn’t pay Penitence in life, they pay it in death.

In this scenario, you have to ask if the Liege’s laws are Just for the punishment due for the crime. Stealing it bad but is the Punishment for the crime Just? And is Following an unjust law itself a sin?

The Trolley problem itself is not a morally ambiguous problem as it’s made out to be, particularly because it lacks enough details to solve. It implies only 2 choices when, in fact it’s not a dichotomy.

1 Like

That’s a classic rehash of the character generation process in Ultima IV: Avatar. How you answered those questions determined your alignment.

1 Like

Spoilers, but the impression I get is that since Denathrius is working with the Jailer, those loyal to him are circumventing the process and due diligence and just yeeting souls to the Maw when they’ve extracted all the anima they want out of it. “Hm… Nah, this souls irredeemable. Off it goes to the Maw.”

Again, It is less about morality and more about the potential threat she poses to the Shadowlands. Hell, it could just be that she died on an saronite spike in Icecrown, in a place full of magic from the Maw where the barrier between the mortal realm and the Maw was thin.

Again, people need to stop assuming morality is a factor in this. Everything seems to indicated the Arbitor decides on who fits, not who is righteous. You think Lady Vashj would end up in Maldraxxis, the same place as Draka, so quickly if morality was a factor? She wasn’t a nice lady.

Well, when Revendreth is literally called the place for the, ‘most evil and prideful beings,’ I think morality does have something to do with it.

https://youtu.be/SM90NNF3oMw?t=78

If the character is an ambiguous case, then Revendreth seems to be the appropriate place for them to end up.

Pretty much. Or some tangential scaled-down equivalent that isn’t as directly integral to the workings of the Shadowlands, where souls with minor infractions go for a ten-day crash-course on why they shouldn’t have littered before getting reassigned to a realm more specific to their basic natures.

Okay, I have a new theory: the Arbiter worked out a deal with the Jailor to meteor herself so she wouldn’t have to sit through an eternity of looking at people’s internet histories. Imagine the horrors she’s seen.

2 Likes