How do you get past the mechagon detecto-bots?

I stand in the steam and then what? I can’t find anything on Google. Maybe I should just delete all my toons and my account.

4 Likes

Standing in the steam prevents bots from detecting you if you are within their dashed circle reticule. However the steam vents are spaced apart so they don’t overlap. If you go from one vent to the other and hit a circle in between you will be detected.

Just hide in each steam vent and wait until an opening appears between robot circles to reach the next vent.

Most people screw up at the last vent on the left wall, right in the path of a bot that follows that wall. Be patient and make sure that bot is fully away (towards the entrance of the puzzle) from you before you leave that final steam vent and go upstairs.

A few class abilities can almost completely cheese this puzzle such as heroic leap for warriors.

In general of course any movement speed enhancing things (eg. druid dash) will make it easier to reach the next vent without hitting a circle in between.

8 Likes

OMG This is funny

1 Like

HAHAH I would delete all your toons

1 Like

While crossbless gave you good advice you should take mine instead. Before you quit the game mail me all your valuables lol. No but seriously quit crossbless said was right.

1 Like

IME, this doesn’t seem to be true. You can’t Heroic Leap or Life Grip through a detection circle without getting stunned and teleported when you land, even if you land safe and clear.

The only way these abilities may help is if your entire flight path is through clear space, and that only helps in situations where walking wouldn’t be fast enough. And patiently waiting for the path to open again always works.

Yesterday I did it again on my prot warrior leaping from the first gas vent to just past the last one, and I’m sure there was at least partially one circle within my path. I was not detected.

The bot puzzle seems to function the same as the lightning orb puzzle in TOS. If you try to gate through with a lock that’s treated as a speed boost on the ground and you are knocked back. However if you leap through you will not get hit unless there is a lightning orb very close to your starting or finishing position. Similar results are observed using infernal strike on a VDH.

I’m the one who offered the advice so if he quits I believe I’m entitled to his/her valuables :grinning:

The game really struggles with z axis stuff like being able to meta over the spit gold. I wonder if you can heroic leap and not get spit gold too. That could be worth a try.

I challenge you to a dance off for his stuff. I warn you I have the old tree form glyph for just such occasions so I don’t like your chances!

Can confirm that life grip does not work but I have seen meta and heroic leap both work.

Life grip is treated as a really fast ground-based speed boost similar to lock gateway, so it will be detected as well both here and the orb puzzle in TOS.

Yep, just asking my experience to the explanation that “speed boosts” don’t work where as “teleports” do

Warlocks are going to be very popular, since Summon does work.

In the time it takes to set up and perform a warlock summon with rando pugs you could have finished the puzzle like 5 times.

Well, in the case of at least one run, I was the one having trouble, and the lock did get the summon set up fast enough. Saved a lot of time, although they could have saved the same time by just kicking me. :rofl:

This really needs some kind of skip. Make it earnable, even, but something like “A character pulls a hidden switch and the entire path floods with steam, giving the same effect as the steam clouds but the full distance and area.”

You could also make it an attackable steam pipe (not easily targetable, so people don’t luck into it tab-targeting). There are lots of lore-friendly ways to implement a skip. This is gnomish engineering, after all. It’s all about unanticipated failure modes.

7 Likes

Oh. My. Lord.

3 Likes

I don’t like using my brain. Can blizzard put in a skip for that issue ?

Your not having a brain solves that neatly for you.

1 Like

I suspect the circles are hemispheres. It wouldn’t surprise me if jumping abilities can work but I wouldn’t trust them to do so.

6 groups. not a single one every told me to stand in the steam. thank you.

1 Like

Yes that’s the trick. You will know you are in the steam because a debuff will appear in your debuff area (depending on your UI).