How do you get motion sickness?

I don’t get motion sickness from playing WoW, but the /console ActionCam Full on a melee character, Warriors for example, does start hurting my eyes after a bit. It is pretty rad on casters.

I have a co-worker that can’t use mounts that sway (like the mech herb mount) , it makes him queasy. I guess it is possible.

You might have different triggers as to what causes you to experience nausea. (Vertigo as mentioned below, shaking of the view, etc).

I don’t know if it’s because of me also being on a larger monitor but most of the display I’ve seen in WoW is rather steady.

Best I can say is only when I’ve played way too long and I’m really tired.

I must say though, Whimsyshire in D3 HURTS my eyes after about the 10th run. I literally could not take it anymore all jokes aside. It’s like Blizz said…ok…not dark enough eh…let me create this rainbow palette of death.

Could be their eyes aren’t functioning properly. Like me, the best way I can describe what’s wrong with my eyes is lag. So long as I don’t make sudden movements, I’m fine. But If I do a 45 degree turn (or greater) quickly, it takes a couple seconds for my eyes to catch up and sometimes causes me a brief amount of pain in my forehead. Same thing with 3D video games, sudden camera shifts cause the same symptoms.

And I have ADHD and have gone into hyperfocus as well. So I understand what you mean about hyperfocus and then returning to a normal level of focus.

I’m fine if I hyperfocus, but too much sudden camera movement can leave me with a lasting migrane for several hours after playing.

I do have motion sickness; I also have very bad eyesight. Video games don’t often give me bad motion sickness, so I’m lucky like that.

But I can’t use some of the bigger and flailier mounts, like the cloud serpents. Their extreme perpetual motion against everything else really screws with my brain; I can’t explain why. I have to use relatively still mounts, or at least the ones with simpler flapping wings that don’t turn my entire screen into motion.

I also cannot stand the “drunk” look, with the fisheye, lack of coordinated movement, and blurred vision. I could turn most of that off, thankfully, but it’s still pretty bad for me. I can’t let my character get drunk in WoW, and the bosses that will sometimes turn you “totally smashed” will make me get a headache very fast. Sometimes I’ll get dizzy for a while, too.

I know, same with me and ‘swaying’ mounts. It’s why I stick to mounts that are more static. They don’t sway or bounce up and down. The bouncing up and down I can handle, I just don’t LIKE it.

Which is a shame as some of those mounts that bob and sway are otherwise awesome looking mounts.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this feat? Stare straight at a long line of fast moving traffic and look intently at faces.

Same. I even have issues when my character is under water.

Hmm, that might explain a few things, at least for me. I was in a serious auto accident when I was a bit younger - to the extent I had a 3rd degree concussion and had no idea who I was for 3 weeks. Then back in 2014 I had a slight kitchen mishap(stupidity on my part) where I had a mild explosion in my kitchen which sent me flying across the kitchen and hit the oven head first breaking my big toe, 2nd degree concussion, dislocated shoulder and a lot of bumps and bruises. I also cannot ride in a car w/o getting sick and this has been since said kitchen incident. Not sure about driving though as I haven’t driven since 2012 due to not having my own transportation.

Can see where head injuries could possibly be affected by in game things like “motion sickness” (nausea) and such when the screen does certain things.

:sparkles:

1 Like

If that’s what you call a “slight” mishap your life must be a lot more interesting than mine.

That could be why I have “lag” (for lack of better words). Someone shot me with a paint pellet gun. It grazed my head, like half an inch further to the left and I’d be wearing an eyepatch (assuming I didn’t die from the wound).

So its possible that the ‘lag’ was cause by some damage to nerves NEAR the eye. Of course, proving it, a decade plus after the incident … not exactly easy to do.

My wife gets “car sick” if she isn’t the driver and most games make her motion-sick. There’s a lot of games she hasn’t been able to play because it can get so bad. She has to close her eyes if her character in WoW drops from a high place. It makes her stomach hurt to watch. Lol. I haven’t told her about the new settings coming to WoW, but I bet she’ll be stoked.

I love this line, out of context. Applicable to so many different things.

I know my sister and law, and wife both, get motion sickness if they try to focus on an object while their bodies are moving in a different way. Like reading / phone browsing while in a moving car.

Well I mean lol it wasn’t but I didn’t want to make it out to be THAT HUGE of a deal…lol I guess I should have used “slight” in exactly that way. :blush:

I lived through it, so I guess that’s why I said it the way I did. I make light of things that happen to me. :rofl:

Now if I had seen someone I loved go through that, or just a random person, I’d probably have spazzed and made more about it here than I did. lol That’s just how I am.

1 Like

YIKES!!! So glad their aim was off/bad, Verdre!!!

Vision in my right eye is borderline peripheral vision. I can see out of it, but the best way I can describe it is peripheral. Doctor of course knows, so my glasses are skewed to account for it. Doesn’t fix the problem, just makes it less of an issue.

And yes, I count my blessings. Over a decade plus later, the skin is still a bit rough as compared to the other side. If you felt the temple on both sides, you could easily tell the difference.

1 Like

I has to do with vision and how the brain interprets it.

I have massive motion sickness with video games. I can NOT under any circumstance play first person. I must be in 3rd person and zoomed out quite a bit. Then the (don’t know what it’s actually called,) but the yaw must be smooth. No weaving around, no jittering… Otherwise I’m puking my socks off with a massive headache.

There aren’t many games I can play. WoW, Diablo III, ESO and Horse Isle 3 are about it actually. At least that I’ve tried. Final Fantasy makes me sick.

When I’m on WoW and take a flight path I have to look away from the screen, no way can I pay attention or here we go again, grab something to puke in… If I’m in control flying ok, I know what I’m going to do and I can make it smooth and steady.

This also blocks me from watching how to video’s. Puke time… Way too much sharp movement.

I actually do fine on boats, I can feel the movement thus my brain compensates. Video games though… ugh

2 Likes

I had a friend in college who would have epileptic seizures due to photosensitivity. He could still play Starcraft and WC3 though.

I tend to be prone to motion sickness anyway. I absolutely cannot play first-person shooters. WoW has (mostly) always been fine for me — the one exception was during (I believe) the Legion beta, when the maximum camera distance in the game was drastically reduced. At the max distance at that time, I would start getting nauseous after about 10 minutes. Very glad they reversed that ill-conceived decision.

I still get motion sick if my character is indoors in a particularly confined space — especially when there are staircases involved. For instance, buildings like inn/town halls in some of the earlier zones.

I don’t really know why it happens. I think it’s to do with the quick motion of everything at the periphery (possibly with the contrast of there being no motion outside the boundaries of the monitor). I just know that if I’m able to “zoom out” quite a bit, I’m usually fine.

Getting it back on topic, it doesn’t have to be the brain itself that has issues but rather that the brain is getting faulty information from the eyes. Like my right eye probably sends faulty data every so often due to the wound on my temple. It probably also messed up nerves closer to the eye. Thus faulty data and vertigo kicking in when it has to process data quickly.

Obviously, because of how long ago the damage was done, I can’t prove this as a fact, but logically it would make sense that damage to the eye / around the eye could end up messing up how the eye interprets what it sees.

Just food for thought on how someone with ADHD / hyperfocus may be fine and someone else isn’t fine. Garbage In Garbage Out.