How do we explain spirits and ghosts on Azeroth?

Were they not allowed to enter the Shadowlands by foul magics, refusal to go (if thats possible), or ?

Doesn’t seem to be their time yet. Kyrian Watchers judge souls and decide when they’re ready. I’m sure there are other reasons as well, such as magical interference.

4 Likes

I would agree with this. A soul with unfinished business or one that is bound to a certain place or object likely wouldn’t be able to rest freely and move on into the shadowlands.

4 Likes

Case in point Vol’jin’s connection with Azeroth prevented Mueh’zala from throwing his soul into The Maw like he wanted too after he stole it.

1 Like

I think it is their refusal to move on. They’re spirits that force themselves to stay on the material plane rather than go to the Shadowlands.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some other ‘tear’ within the veil between the world and Shadowlands where some souls/soul magic slips through.

I still want to know how the Legion had so much influence over soul magic and how they got the Helm of Domination/Frostmourne from the Maw.

1 Like

The only ghosts i saw explained why they’re ghosts came from Nazjatar and Azsuna.

The Azsuna ghosts were cursed by Azshara when she shattered the tidestone and caused a flood that killed everyone and she made some magic stuff to keep them in ghost forms.

Azshara also did curse the Night Elves that refused to become Naga in nazjatar it seems.

Wait a minute… How Azshara knows about death to the point of being able to curse people to not go to the shadowlands?

1 Like

The fact of the matter is this expansion is a complete retcon of what we’ve always known of the Shadowlands. Stuff like that doesn’t make sense because nu-Blizz wanted to tell their supr speshul story, existing content be damned.

5 Likes

While Blizz does retcon left and right, “curse you so you can’t move on” is kind of a basic “evil witch” spell that i don’t think needs that much explanation. This is also pivotal to any necromancy that actually uses the soul as part of the basis for the undead creature, after all

7 Likes

Orc spirits used to hang out in Oshu’gun for funsies. Tauren had spirit-walkers before they had shaman. We’ve straight up had conversations with Uthers ghost at his tomb. It’s still a retcon.

7 Likes

Oh, sure, and the central conceit for the expansion is dumb even if i think the execution is reasonably good. But Azshara having “you can’t move on” powers isn’t one of the issues brought in by the new Canon.

2 Likes

I wonder what happened with uuna? Is she just going to casually go in and out of shadowlands with us? Kinda doubt that’s what “the purpose” intended that way.

To be clear, that was because of the fallen Naaru causing them to stay.

3 Likes

As others pointed out, we have plenty of pre-existing explanations for why ghosts stick around. Unfinished business, curses, etc. In Darkshore alone, we have a ghost forced to stay behind because he was trapped in his tower by another mage, whose warding was so strong even as a ghost he couldn’t leave. We have a bunch of elves whose ghosts stuck around because they died so horribly they refused to pass on or because of the wild magics involved in the Well of Eternity blowing up, they couldn’t pass on. And then we had Yalda who apparently just chose to stick around so she could keep an eye on things.

4 Likes

More or less all the things were already mentioned. I only have 1 minor addition when it comes to necromancy.

Soul Coffer (archaeology)
When a soul is called from the afterlife, it is free to roam the material realm if it is not restrained within moments of its arrival. The Drust created prisons for these souls for later use in their dark rituals, during which time the soul would suffer within Thros, and become a twisted version of what it once had been.

gl hf

2 Likes

Random ghosts maybe, for whatever reason, the Kyrians chose not to take even though stuff like Vespers would theoretically soothe any of them.

Wisps, Lunar Festival, Kul Tiran and Shamanistic spirits? No idea, doesn’t seem like it was at all considered in the writing of this xpac.

1 Like

A lot apparently?

In the boss fight with N’zoth when he shows a vision she tells Sylvanas that she knows the darkness that she seeks to unleash upon Azeroth.

So, she may know a whole lot more than she was even willing to tell us. She didn’t even bother telling us or Wrathion what she knew before slithering off. We had to find this stuff out from N’zoth, but even then it was vague, but she still clearly knew what was about to happen soon.

So uh…how do wisps work with the new lore?

I would argue that we had so little knowledge of the Shadowlands that there wasn’t really much to retcon. The only thing that was retconned afaik (in regards to the Shadowlands and it’s nature) was Realm of Shadows became Shadowlands and Spirit Healers became Kyrian.

I’m not sure if we actually know because Wisps are due to the influence of Elune who is, as always, a big unknown. We’re getting some pretty crazy knowledge about Elune this expansion though, such as the fact that Elune is worshipped on other mortal worlds and these worlds also have Night Warriors (who are all bound to Ardenweald after death).

Remember that there are infinite realms in the Shadowlands and the ancestral plane is almost certainly one of them. Shaman have always had a connection to the spirit world so I don’t really see any issue there. We haven’t had any explanation, sure, but we didn’t have one before Shadowlands either.

Because the shadowlands is a retcon of previous lore of how ghosts, undead and spirits work.