How do I get back into newcomer chat

So I haven’t played Wow since a long time ago. I stopped around burning crusade, picked up legion but just finished the demon hunter intro quest, and that was it. So I’d say I’m still very new to the game. Wow got me back because I saw you can play as a dragon like figure. However, I ended up doing this long quest to unlock the void elves/light forged draenai. I completed it, but I found out that because I have a 60 level character in my evoker and all of the hours I put to unlock the void elf, it somehow kicked me out of newcomer chat.

Now I know Wow’s fanbase isn’t anywhere near as friendly as say FFXIV, so I appreciated the fact that I could ask newb questions in a forum and not get chastised (like I’m still having trouble buying skills for the pets I trained like my warp stalker) So is there anyway I can get back to that chat section?

1 Like

Pet family special skill are automatically given to you at level 20.
Mentor chat and the program disappears once you hit a certain level, which I think might be level 20 or 30.

Pets automatically learn their skills. The pet family skill is earned at level 20. There are no skill ranks anymore and the pet trainers are superfluous.

There are vendor items for teaching your pet to play dead and fetch loot. Both are useful. I usually get mine from a vendor at the Nessingwary camp in Sholazzar but if you search wowhead for “Fetch”, you should find a list of other vendors who sell the items.

1 Like

Oh? Is that the command pet ability? That one I received, but there’s supposed to be some abilities I’m supposed to get for the warp stalker. (Bite and Warp Time.) I purchased the character level to get to level 60, and any new pet I tame seems to come with all of their skills. But the Warp Stalker seems to still be missing their abilities that comes from leveling up.

If you hit P to look at your spell book, there will be a tab along the bottom for your pet spells. You should also have a pet bar available for holding most of those spells.

The command pet ability is a fly-out containing pet maintenance commands. Mend pet and resurrect will toggle between each other depending upon if the pet is dead or not.

Call pet is also a fly-out. As you level you will earn more pet slots up to 5. Those are pets you have “in your pocket” as opposed to pets in your stable.

If you take the Animal Companion talent, you will use whatever pet you chose from call pet along with the pet in your first stable slot.
The pet from the stable slot is technically a “guardian” and not a pet. It can do some dps but doesn’t use any pet abilities. Many people train two of a pet so they can run with a matched pair.

Timewalking is the special pet family skill that you should get at level 20.

Left-clicking on a spell, such as bite or growl will put it on auto cast. Autocast will turn on a moving border on the spell icon.

Growl is normally on autocast to generate threat but will now automagically Turn off when entering an instance so your pet threat doesn’t compete with the tanks threat.

Fell free to ask any questions here. Trolls are generally dealt with quickly but as a low volume forum, it may take a day to get a question answered. There are also some extremely knowledgeable people here as regulars.

1 Like

Ah! That’s why I couldn’t find it, I was looking on side where it has beast mastery and hunter tab. This was driving me nuts for days LOL, thank you so much for the help. Though I do not see a timewalking special ability in the spell books section for the pet or myself. I have a passive pathfinding, bite, dash, warp time, and my cunning ability says Master’s Call.

1 Like

My mistake, time walking should have been warp time. Been spending too much time in the caverns of time lately doing prepatch event stuff.

Pet families fall into three. Categories. Cunning, ferocity, and taking, Each category has a unique spell as well as each pet family.

Cunning pets are typically used for PvP. Ferocity for DPS, and tanking for…

You’ll usually want a ferocity pet with a haste buff special ability for most group dungeons and rails, but the best pet family can depend upon what buffs other players bring so most hunters carry a mix of family abilities in their call pet fly out.

For the past couple of expansions, ferocity pets made better tanks than tanking pets because of their category buff - Leach. The jury is still out as to if that is still true with DragonFlight.
Best ferocity pets have been clefthoof/rhino followed closely by core hounds.

For low level hunters, pet family matters other than using cunning pets for PvP.

1 Like

Oh no worries, thanks again for the help. That was so frustrating going to a pet family location and they just talk about pet specialization. I was like “What pet specialization” LOL.

1 Like

WoW-petopia.com is the go to site for all things pet related.

1 Like

Once you reach 70, talk to Celest Periwinkel at 51.8, 17.6 in Stormwind to become a Guide. Yes! Guides can ask questions too! (It had been 60 prior to DF launch).

1 Like