How Can We Redeem/Rebuild The Horde (Actual Horde Edition)

Yes, Christie golden writing her pet characters.

Looking back at the IGN article where internal dev discourse is WoW will be focused on Thrall (next to Lilith etc, but not Kerrigan).

Vaguely worried? Like what will this mean for Thrall, what do they have planned for his character.

2 Likes

He can’t stay retired because they are using him as a life raft.

:pancakes:

13 Likes

Saddest thing of all? They aren´t even using him properly, cause his “Goldielocks” phase made me want to punch him instead of having him appear more in my gameplay, for example…

6 Likes

I should have specified, they are attempting to use him as life raft.

1 Like

Indeed… I´m wary on which new idiotic scenario they will concot to portray their focus on Thrall. Maybe he gets to be the Lying Sheperd this time around (cause you know… their idea of “good writting” seems to be the act of making a parody out of old children´s tales and paraboles?

Can you be more specific about the era you mean? Because as much as I think it would make him more interesting, I can’t see Blizzard having Thrall going around breaking into people’s houses and eating all their porridge.

1 Like

Could you share pls this article?

Disagree. All he was in BfA was a story device.

“Saurfang good / everyone else = evil”.

I’ve read through it now (found it XD), but I almost think these characters were only chosen as examples for future events, but I don’t think they’re the only characters that get a big spotlight.

1 Like

This sword hilt is too small.
This crossbow is too flimsy.
This axe is juuuuuust right.

16 Likes

He was used as a plot device later, but he wasn’t created as a plot device, if you take his appearance in the BfA cinematic as his time of creation.

I do and how was he there not a plot decive? He was one for Saurfang.

I should be more specific: his appearance in the BfA cinematic trailer, where all he does is fling a spell at the Alliance. Not “Old Soldier.”

Hm you have a point. I think it’s hard to separate the two. I would agree if it was for the BfA cinematic on it’s own. Sadly the work of Metzen and others in this case for the BfA trailer seems to have been completely ignored in a narrative sense for BfA.

Backing up a little bit, I want to shift the focus back to the current Horde council. If Blizzard is sticking with it, how best should it be approached?

Here are my suggestions from post #4.

With this in mind there are obviously pros and cons to either of my suggestions, but, if we assume 2-seats per race whom should fill that second seat for each race?

2 Likes

Personally I think the bigger the council the less Blizz will pay attention to the nuances and details, I mean the Alliance has been run by a council for years and it never received significant attention to how it works, at least no deep dive into it.

Since I don’t want that (I would prefer to know how the council works and who is a member of it) but also want to observe the political work, I would bet on a small manageable council, the probability that it will be focused in such a case is simply higher.

1 Like

That’s what I assume will happen either way. a logical step could be the formation of different “parties” and perhaps a shifting of alignments during different times etc.

I don’t thrust Blizzard in the slightest that they will make this something good. Mostly because of how they handled the Alliance and they let Lorthemar call Baine “the heart of the Horde” during BfA. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Well, the ideal is either 7 or 13 seats, no greater. With the Houjin getting some focus as the tiebreaker (and, despite it being weird for his character), Chen himself is of the Wandering Isle and is of the WC3 Horde legacy roster remaining. It might be nice to get him in on the action of their leadership. He’s mellow, even handed, and objective. Its a good voice to have on a Council. As weird as it would be, having him and LiLi be more Houjin staples might be nice (they are definitely of that sort of resolving conflict philosophy).

Since Blizz has gone so far as to give official seating to our ARs however (and it does feel weird to merge certain groups together with a core race), then the ideal would simply be to fill that single vacant seat. Then you just compartmentalize which groups and leaders are involved in certain Horde affairs from them on.

In the end, it will always be the case that certain characters get the spotlight and you can imagine in the background that the whole council is behind the decision, unfortunately.