How Can We Redeem/Rebuild The Horde (Actual Horde Edition)

Also Oculeth: And on that note, what is this disgusting, blood-red weed you seem to be hoarding and serving in every inn from Tranquilien to Silvermoon? Is it meant to be…burned and inhaled?

Occuleth: And you claim to live in a metropolis! Bloodthistle is best when melted down and drizzled over a good mana strudel, of course.

4 Likes

Too central/heavy handed and out of the way (no Alliance major centers nearby), plus added Native American Genocide weight, and a major city.

IMO I think:

• Have Turalyon’s lazer spaceship blow up a minor settlement, such as one of the Goblin ports, or Stonard (the actual Theramore parallel; or a Troll settlement in Stromgarde)
  • Retcon Camp Taurjo to have been much, much worse

Then the Lazer Spaceship tries to move to its next target, but the Forsaken unveil a Necropolis.

Thus officially creating a Cold War.

8 Likes

Why is it so shallow? Let’s blow up the remnants of Silvermoon! Or burn out a huge hole in the center of Orgrimmar!

And about Camp Taurajo. Will Retcon cancel “Bane’s military target”?

conjures fireball

Come anywhere near our city and I’ll burn down your other World Tree.

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

5 Likes

Come on! Forward! Blast Azeroth together!

Or will it be too similar to the Age of Sigmar, whatever it is?

It being native American coded is irrelevant to me. If part of the idea to bring the Horde up and stain the Alliance, a city has to go. I picked Thunder Bluff because it was out of the way. The Horde doesn’t actually have a random city somewhere that could actually be blown up for dramatic effect, ala a Theramore. Small settlements are meaningless as is Stonard, being more of a camp and not an actual city.

Though thinking about it further, Ironforge would also have to be blown up too to keep Faction hub parity. So something has to get blown up, it actually has to be bad and it has to be something that Blizzard can make the Alliance feel bad about.

EDIT: Of course they COULD build Sonard into a full city, and then blow it up. That would suffice. Actually that would do nicely. Especially since it’s south of Stormwind.

3 Likes

Blow up Stormwind, it’s easier to blow it up. Although, in it Nelfs … Damn. On the one hand, I want to get rid of Stormwind, but I don’t want to lose the remnants of the Nelfs.

I guarantee you that no one is going to miss Bilgewater Harbor.

Or we just stop this insane obsession with big, dramatic, Red Wedding-esque massacres right here, right now.

The problem isn’t that we somehow need to “balance the scales” in terms of explosions and genocide (“they blew us up, now we blows them up!”).

It’s the idea that these big, dramatic, explosive events should even be commonplace to begin with.

5 Likes

Hmmm

If they had moved the Forsaken refugees to Ghostlands (as would have made the most sense: cold, damp, undead), then blowing up Tranquilen would’ve made sense.

Alternatively Suramar? It is right next to Valsharah after all.

That was going to be my suggestion, yes.

Hey now

I’m okay with one (1) more Red Wedding if it allows for the start of a proper cold war via revealing a Forsaken Necropolis with goblin death rays

5 Likes

Quick post while I am at work to laugh at the above.

LOL!

The irony.

:pancakes:

18 Likes

Thanks for summarizing this. I had no desire to go through all those posts in the previous thread.

I think there are a lot of good suggestions here. :grinning:

10 Likes

I’m still a fan of my idea from the other thread:

Keep a pool noodle in the writers room and smack the writers with it if they want to villain bat the Horde again. Upgrade it to a 2 by 4 if the pool noodle doesn’t get the job done.

And yes, I’m fully on board with “Stop justifying alliance colonialism and racism” train. Crocodile tears about how the Horde should suffer from the NEPA don’t mean a thing when Genn and Company don’t have to suffer a single consequence for being garbage people.

41 Likes

<covers self in dirt and blood and puts in a nose-ring>
How do you do, fellow Hordies?

Yes, it’s unreasonable that a werewolf man is angry because-- <checks notes> – his kingdom was ruined by toxic Blight, his people slaughtered for no reason other than they were humans (as they were uninvolved with the Alliance at the time), and his son killed by an arrow meant to slay him.
He should get over it, even though the offending parties have done nothing to try and make amends.

Maybe if the Horde tried to mend fences instead of loudly proclaiming that someone else knocked it down so it’s not their job to fix it, they’d have fewer enemies. Then maybe the Alliance would start trying to do some fence-mending of its own.

Categorically speaking, the Horde fits that bill far more strongly than the Alliance. The Horde marches into places they’ve never been, claim it’s theirs, and kill anyone who resembles an enemy regardless of their allegiances.

22 Likes

psst, you ruin their fantasy, i mean, they want to be a victim, don´t you see? This entire Thread is to prove exactly that.

5 Likes

Yes but that’s part of the problem, as illustrated both in the compilation post OP and the various sub-conversations in the other thread over the past month. Like you realize that this is a narrative problem yes?

The solution would be to also slap the problem onto some of the Alliance leaders while also developing Horde characters in an in-faction way.

35 Likes

https://media2.giphy.com/media/0DbVc80DiSJwMeO7vf/giphy.gif

5 Likes

I still don’t buy the, “We have to drag the Alliance down to make the Horde better in comparison” argument.
Suddenly having people turn racist/bigoted when they weren’t before doesn’t make the Horde any better because they’re fighting a righteous fight against close-minded aggressors.

Now, I would say it’s feasible for Alliance troops to have that outlook, much as is the case with orcs and such wanting to gut “pinkskins”. Kul Tirans, especially, could easily be painted with the same brush as Daelin Proudmoore, but people like Jaina and Katherine are not Daelin and that’s kinda the point of their characters.

Likewise, in Before the Storm we go into Genn’s motivations and hate for the Forsaken, and it boils down to hate for Sylvanas once he comes to see the Forsaken as people rather than simply undead monsters.

Turalyon/Alleria might have lingering hatred for the old Horde but they’re 1000 years separated from that, and it was with the help of Horde champions that the Legion was broken. Though I realize that’s a poor argument to make, seeing as how Blizzard can just as easily go, “Nah, that doesn’t matter to them now” as much as Alliance champions helping save all of Suramar. The difference being that Thalyssra didn’t become “racist” to night elves, only that she joined their opposition.

Speaking of which, I’d say Tyrande is the most feasible in regards to, “If it wears red, it’s gonna be dead”, but that’s not racism so much as… faction-ism? Like, she isn’t liable to kill a gaggle of orcs who are part of the Argent Crusade just because they’re orcs.

I’m starting to ramble, but I guess the point is that overt racism shouldn’t be a thing for the leaders of either faction because those aren’t qualities that leaders should have, and not something players can look up to. (Or rather, shouldn’t. I know some would, unfortunately.)

14 Likes

Would Rastakhan be a Death Loa, or something else?

Because that is only half the argument. Having some Alliance be racist extremists allow for in-faction conflict for the Alliance while also giving the Horde moral footing.

Which is what I literally said in the OP lmao

Doubt.

It shouldn’t have been, but here we are, too late.

Having some of the leaders be Objectively Real World Bad is actually good for the narrative and reinforces the notion that sometimes leaders suck.

19 Likes

Can’t be within the Great TBC Wall.

Has to be something people will actually see and notice. So building up Stonard and then blowing up just as quickly would suffice.

2 Likes