Hot topic, *DRUIDS* what is your thoughts?

Since the servers are down and so many people are checking in, How do you all feel about the feral druid energy tick issue?

Do you know what the problem is?

Are you happy/upset about it?

Would this be a fair change to a class that’s been dumped on for so long?
I don’t want to hear any warriors/rogues(me)/locks/mages that it’s fine because we are already on the top of the food chain, why keep the druid, that isn’t resto, down?

3 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/please-revert-todays-feral-energy-hotfix-or-use-20-energy

Join us, friend

long story short, before patch the energy tick timer was not reset while powershifting, so when you were about to powershift and had let’s say 0 energy left for the example, you would powershift and it would put you at 60 energy naturally with talent + wolf helm then if you timed it right the tick would happen let’s say 0.2 sec after so that almost instantly puts you at 80.

now when ever you powershift it puts you at 60 energy and the 2 sec timer tick restart from the moment you entered the form, so now you have to wait 2 sec to get to 80 energy.

2 Likes

I’m actually on the unpopular side of this … I don’t like the current mechanics with Wolfhead Helm. This is probably what motivated Blizzard to ruin the Furor talent … in Cataclysm (which was also a bad change). It’s the optimal way to play kittydeeps, but I still don’t care for it. I dont like this ‘change’, intentional or not, however.

But I’ll be tanking on my cowbear, so it doesn’t affect me so much.

5 Likes

I understand how it works, but I’m shocked by how many people are happy with it!

I for one was looking forward to new comps coming out in arena’s that were beyond what we all thought was the best back in the day.

Feral druid was about to be a prime example of shaking things up.

Change em back blizz give me a challenge!

1 Like

Its a pretty big nerf. Our rotation was complicated enough with the 80 energy ticks, now it feels like we don’t even have a rotation. One shred and you either gotta shift again, or wait for another tick. One will OOM you in 20 seconds, the other is a drastic reduction in DPS. It just feels incredibly bad to play.

Some suggestions is to make Furor give 60 energy instead of 40 (this would be a big buff for cats in PvP also), or remove the energy cost of Tigers Fury and instead make it give energy (like it does in WOTLK).

Could also make druid tier helmets give the same bonus the WHH gives, or an enchant or something that does the same effect.

2 Likes

Blizzard changed Furor in WotLK, not Cata. And powershifting wasn’t removed, it was replaced. They added King of the Jungle, which made Tiger’s Fury instantly generate 60 energy, JUST like powershifting. They also added Enrage, improved mangle, and other skills that improved energy efficiency.

3 Likes

I have no intention of ever playing feral, but I think it’s a bad change. The spec already sucks, let the tryhards have fun with their meme spec

4 Likes

it’s a complete and utter mess right now. you would think tbc would be a straight upgrade from classic considering our main ability (shred) now costs 6 fewer energy to use. yet we are spending more time (40-50% more time) to be able to use it.

we know what the problem is

Any effect which triggers a change in your rate of power regeneration (Mana, Rage, Energy, Focus) will now cause an immediate reward of some power at the old rate of increase, and then begin new “ticks” of power at the new rate approximately 2 seconds later.

1st; where is our immediate reward of some power at the old rate? we’re getting only the “and then begin new ticks 2 seconds later” portion of this change. we’re not getting the first half. 2nd; changing in or out of cat form does not change the rate of energy regeneration. it does not increase it or decrease it. an example of something that changes the rate of energy regen is adrenaline rush.

if blizzard wanted to fix it, they could. see here: https ://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/663552296252080129/847490889643196426/unknown.png

solutions:

There are two tweaks that could be made to the system currently implemented in the pre-patch that would preserve the intent of 2.2 regen consistently:

1. Simply do not treat shapeshifting as a change in any regeneration rates (because none of them actually change), and therefore don’t reset any ticks. This would lead to original 2.0-2.1 powershifting.
  2. Alternatively, if the ticks need to be reset upon a shapeshift, then provide the instant Energy refund to the druid immediately after the shapeshift. Currently the “refund” that is given upon a shapeshift is 0, which is unlike how any other class gets their resources refunded. This implementation would lead to a cycle similar to the “Troll’s Blood rotation” but without the need for such ridiculous consumable usage.

the dev in that image made the first change. either change is sensible and true to tbc.

1 Like

Because druids can MT as well as a warrior or Pally and do better damage in tank gear when no tanking.

Powershifting was always a gimmicky mechanic and never brought cat up to top tier dps anyways so who cares? Wrath is when kitty dps shines. TBC Feral is all about tanking.

From what I can tell, the energy system that’s in the current client (2.2, after Black Temple) was only used in WoW for about a year before being completely overhauled in WotLK. It clearly has a ton of issues with it and I think blizz should play it safe and either go with the system that was present from vanilla through Black Temple, or try to change TBC classic energy to mimic the old system. There is very little documentation on 2.2 energy so we really have hardly the faintest idea as to what blizzard actually intended with this system. There’s nothing anywhere about ticks resetting on shapeshift, only resetting on a change in regen rate, which shapeshifting doesn’t cause.

1 Like

I think it kind of does. When in caster form you have no energy, meaning you aren’t regenerating any. When you shift into cat, you then obtain an energy bar, which is why its setting the tick to zero. I’m not sure why its works this way NOW though, because in classic it was a global energy tick, now it seems like its a personal tick.

as I understand it it is roughly a 14% DPS nerf, which takes us from mid pack DPS to bottom tier DPS.

I think it is a bad change since Druids most certainly weren’t overpowered before and the raid utility we bring doesn’t encourage bringing a feral druid over a higher DPS class, effectively killing the spec in serious raiding guilds. Not talking about feral tanks here, going to bring one of those along, but specifically a kitty druid.

Technically it does, your energy regen rate drops to zero when you aren’t in cat.

As a rogue, I completely understand that.

But why limit the druids who want to try that hard to get to that level to shake things up a bit?

Its definitely gimmicky, but also awesome. Maybe this is apples to oranges, but isn’t seal twisting gimmicky? That became acceptable now because more people knew about it sooner.

I’m just saying I would love to see a BC arena where we can all come back and play our classes as they were to the best of our ability.

As a rogue, I have no complaints.

But maybe I’m alone in thinking it would be cool to see if the traditional and expected comps for 2’s and 3’s end up changing.

This just seems like a perfect example of something not to mess with and see what the ferals can do, ya know?

1 Like

You still regen energy while in caster form and mana while in cat form/bear form. Energy and mana don’t care about what form you’re in. The bar is hidden, but not disabled. There are addons that let you view them regardless of what form you’re in.

Are you sure?

Remember that the intention of the new regen system was to reset ticks whenever there is a change in the rate of regeneration of any player resource. This would imply that shapeshifting induces a change in regen rate, but it turns out this is not true! On the current pre-patch client, if you shapeshift out into caster form, there is still an Energy bar ticking behind the scenes that you can’t see. If you query the game for your Energy values while still in caster form, you will see that the Energy is still ticking at the same rate of 10 Energy per second while in caster form. The same is of course true for Mana in the opposite direction: shifting from caster form into an animal form keeps your Mana regeneration rate the same. Yet, in both directions, the Mana/Energy tick is completely reset upon shifting. So which is it, does shifting change the regen rate or not?

Idgaf just play the game, stop whining for buffs to your favorite class.

You’ll see me there regardless of the state of things.

Except it doesn’t. Mana and energy continue to regen regardless of form, you just can’t see the bars, and Energy is manually set to 0 when you enter cat form. This is why you can shift out of cat form and have full mana even if you only had half when you entered. It’s always regenerating aside from the 5 second rule.

druid isn’t my class =)