Hot Take: Arms PvP

Viable and fun.

Now, of course the current situation of PvP vs. leveling gear disparity has still to play out, but from the limited PvP I’ve done since hitting 70, it’s been a blast.

Running Battlord/Sharpened Blades/Bladestorm/Unhinged has had some crazy good synergy. You lose the bleeds, but the upfront damage has been fairly competitive to even geared demon hunters.

Will be interesting to see how the season plays out, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Arms won’t be as bad as I initially believed. The toolkit is fairly strong.

Though our survivability might be lacking a tad…

2 Likes

We need eather the d stance nerf reverted or ignore pain.

5 Likes

I would like to have mortal strike be threatening again

9 Likes

These words go together as well as Fine and Dandy.

Both can’t happen at the same time.

Yea all Warrior specs need this. I haven’t used D stance yet. With that said I don’t think Arms needs ignore pain. I’d like to see second wind come back. Or just better direct damage.

1 Like

Dstance needs to be buffed, MS needs to be buffed, the ramp up time of MS needs to be looked at, slam needs to not hit like a ramen noodle so arms can at least compete with fury throughput. The kits is overall AMAZING, couldn’t ask for a cooler toolkit. I feel like I can find a use for most of the talents and pvp talents as arms.

It’s some kind of awful though, doing absolutely booty dps on a healer, and it takes like 3-4 gcds to set up when havoc or WW can global ppl

I switched to fury last night and I was just evaporating people and it felt fun, but it also felt completely mongo. Why would anyone pick arms atm when fury gets similar tools and is just outright better, AND can have a ramping %-healing debuff?

addendum: it is also absolutely hilarious watching all of warriors movement options be stunnable, fearable etc. but evoker and dh are immune on nearly all of their options. imo, no class should be uncc-able on movement

viable? sure at sub 2k rating. Arms is complete dogshlt sustained dps and burst damage.

Fun? spamming small hits to ramp up your mortal strike damage to crit for 40k or execute to crit for 30k with CD’s popped, is not fun. Other classes crit regularly for 100k+ and up to 250k with cds.

Bro, I was running prot last night for epic bgs and I shield charged some dude with avatar and demo shout up for 95k, and then shield block/shield slammed him for 50. I had 700k HP. Arms needs to be looked at seriously if our tank spec is more threatening

5 Likes

Prot has out classed arms in pvp i was able to get to 1900 in SS during Pre patch and did not see a single arms during the climb

Prot wasn’t even good in Pre patch either so that’s a nice rating. They are infinitely better now with their main talents to make builds.

1 Like

I will have to try it out at 70 in honor gear as leveling bgs are currently cancerous imo

1 Like

upfront burst isn’t something u can shrug off but its insanely easy to disrupt by most classes

no ip/def stance being trash really hurts
id honestly say making dstance 20/20 and seein where we go from there would be a big help
partial reversion on ms’s enormous -31% pvp modifier would help too
i really want to make use of ms reset talents but ms w/o double op stacks and an exe precision (@least 1) feels like it’s healing the enemy sometimes, would also really like to see battlelord resets to act as if it has 2x op modifiers on it
slam/ww talents need baked into the spec and get something more interesting in their place that makes the buttons worth pressing, i have basically taken slam off my bars since w/o crushing force, rend initial hits do more dmg than slam, and refresh rend itself

basically, the core gameplay is really solid but the numbers are lacking

ps
baseline intervene and add safeguard in its place @20%
ty blizzard

3 Likes

It should just be 20/10 for everyone or at least fix it for Prot so they have the correct one lol.

Prot at max level with the last talents is night and day compared to prepatch. Also you get the 40% HP buff at max level. Which really benefits your healing % talents, passive heals pain and gain. Also passive stop Battle scarred which allows you to survive a Go and heal to full.

Also keep in mind when Battle scarred Procs healing is 100% more effective so Impending is 60% heal. Or 3rd wind potion in BG is a full heal. So it’s a cheat death and can full heal during it and reset.

Prot’s main weakness is eating a stun with no defensive or IP up, so Battle Scarred is the talent that could make Prot a lot competitive in Arena.

I think the problem lies with all the modifiers for mortal strike. They have to tune ms super low so that it doesnt one shot when all the modifiers are applied. Which in turn makes it feel super weak when you don’t have every single star aligned properly. In pvp its really noticeable because its hard to get every modifier on every mortal strike. So it ends up feeling like a wet noodle ability. Modifiers really screwing it over.

4 Likes

I wish they would stop doing this. It’s the same for Shield Slam too. It’s only purpose is to generate rage as a filler and put dmg debuffs on the target until it finally ramps up. Then after 5 stacks of brace for impact and 7 stacks of seething red with shield block, avatar and boom.

It honestly isn’t as fun as the old days when you pressed the button and it always hurt. I really hate the modifier CD design. You should just always do damage and have like 1-2 cds.

2 Likes

they could adversely tune the modifiers to be less effective while having a stronger baseline ms
it’ll overall be better with how often we reset ms now, letting us have a harder hitting ms instead of it barely doing more than a battlelord overpower (2~5% difference)

edit: guess blizzard had the same idea lmfao

1 Like

I’ve been running a unique rend + fatality build and it’s been significantly stronger than Juggernaut. My biggest compromise is sacrificing Unhinged but so far so good. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I like the idea of Fatality, but it is nerfed so hard in PvP, makes it difficult to justify. With the new MS changes, I think the Unhinged build with the torment option on Avatar for an additional Bladestorm (works with unhinged), will be a wrecking machine.