Horde whispering to Alliance?

If this is the wrong forum, apologies, please move or delete as required. I have looked in the forums but can’t find an answer.

Earlier today an Orc rogue whispered to me on my Human paladin and I could read it perfectly. It took me a bit to figure out who had whispered me.

There was nothing rude said, and I’m not complaining about that.

My question is; How?

I always thought that cross faction communication was not supposed to be possible unless you used the “elixir of tongues”, which I do not.

Is there an add-on, or an in-game setting that allows cross faction communication?

2 Likes

One thing to watch out for is a toy that changes one to appear as the opposite faction.

1 Like

Thank you for responding. Does the toy allow you to actually be the other faction and attack?

To expand a little bit on the subject.

I had WM on and was being ganked by a rogue and a druid. I was in que for a dungeon and while they were killing me, I accepted, and was ported away.

The rogue whispered me and asked where I had gone.

That doesn’t seem right. Were there gaps in the lettering or was it proper sentence structure?

Does WM have a mercenary-type system?

Agreed.

The toy doesn’t allow attacking, it’s only an appearance change.

Back when the elixir came out, there were reports of it not working like Bliz had announced. (Drinking it allowing others to understand you, rather than you understanding others.)

I never heard if that was resolved, or if remnants of that issue still remain.

No, no gaps or other anomalies. I thought at first it was an alliance character that thought I had abandoned them.

I looked the rogue up, and he/she is definitely a horde player.

Strange indeed.

You can drop a note in the Bug Report forum with the character and approximate time so that QA can at least look at it to see if something was amiss.

1 Like

Silly question perhaps, but did it give a location for that player when they whispered you? (I don’t play currently, but I know the latest raid has a sequence in which you “convert” to the opposite faction.)

Again, thank you. I will do that.

A quick question. How do you know that the character was an Orc Rogue? Did you see them? Did you look them up on the Armory?

I ask because the character I see sending you two whispers is a level one Human Rogue.

5 Likes

I looked them up a web site that ends in io. According to that it was a level 120 Orc Rogue (ilvl 393). It was the only character from that realm with that name.

You may have mistype the name and/or server because a toy wouldn’t allow one faction to talk to another. If such an item did allowed that, Blizz would’ve fixed that ASAP it were noticed because folks’d abuse that to no end.

I know. I found the whole thing to be exceptionally odd, hence my post.

It’s possible I made a mistake I suppose.

It also seems odd that I would receive a whisper from a level 1 human rogue asking where I went, just seconds after I ported to a dungeon escaping a horde rogue who was ganking me.

As I said, anything is possible and me making a mistake is certainly up there.

Maybe they rolled a human rogue to poke you when you left?

5 Likes

They appear to have used an “î” in their name, if you looked up the name without that character you likely found someone else. Since the character they used is only level 1, it wouldn’t show up on the Armory or through the in-game search option.

5 Likes

Now I’m curious! Unless you were in a starter area, I’m not sure why a level 1 anything would be asking where you went…since they wouldn’t see you in the first place. Sounds plausible that the horde rogue could have rolled an Alliance to ask - seems like a lot of effort though

I was wondering the same thing. One occurrence I had was in the Gilneas battleground. I was killing this void elf hunter, and she kept telling me to go away, and that no one should be this powerful, etc. That was solved when I saw she switched her language to Thalassian (or however you spell it). I did not realize belfs and velfs could communicate. So, that was figured out.

Later, I was in Ashran, and this rogue got upset that figured out his location and knocked him off the bridge by our base. He whispered me some obscenities, and I figured it was a horde member trying to give me orders. In any case, I did not like what he was saying, so I blocked him, then realized that it was a human rogue that whispered me during the bg. He was hostile, and I was able to attack him, so not sure how he can speak with me plainly. No spaced out speech, just normal chat. Just weird to me.

If someone figures it out, let me know. I find it interesting.

Maybe they made a character on another account that was Alliance to whisper you? Whispers can’t be sent cross-faction, so people usually roll up on an alt to whisper bad things.

Belves and Velves both use Thalassian, though. The only other way you’d see normal speech from someone on the other faction is if you’re using an Elixir of Tongues.

2 Likes

It was the same character in the bg that whispered me. I wish I had screen shotted it, because I chased him down before he vanished again. Maybe they were using the elixir however.

Elixir still won’t let you whisper cross-faction. It’s most likely they made a rogue of the same name on a different realm and Horde to whisper you.

1 Like