Horde and Alliance: Balance of Power

I assume any ending will be unsatisfying for a lot of people. Just saying, the hardline stance isn’t conductive. But again, as an Alliance player, I didn’t take issue with how Mists ended.

False. The Alliance has always been depicted as the stronger of the two factions. We’ve always had a stronger economy, established lands, more powerful soldiers. Compare this to the Horde which were always depicted as struggling to survive.

This is true. No arguments here since the strongest the Horde can throw is a reddit OC named Nathanos. Blizzard has to comparatively nerf our heroes so the Horde don’t feel too bad.

I don’t know if the old lore still applied, but humanity has always been the most populous of the wow races. Wasn’t Stormwind once described as having a higher population than the entire Horde at one point?

To be fair, the recent cinematic also said they’re so low on soldiers that they’ll be conscripting farmers soon. Though, I don’t remember that comment before.

It was in the wow rpg.

I feel like this quote is often misused or misunderstood. Does it not imply that, at the current rate (e.g. in light of the casualties at Lordaeron) that the conscription of farmers will become necessary, in that it is not yet necessary?

I ask because shortly after this the Alliance goes on a winning streak and never does need to conscript; in the past, such as when going to Borean Tundra, they have made this process explicit. It has not been shown or mentioned again in game. Therefore, it was Genn commenting on the loss, and not actually a policy that had to be implemented. Ergo, we can assume that Stormwind has been fighting with its professional standing army.

Moreover, I’m generally skeptical of any qualitative descriptions of army strength or population, as Blizz just writes whatever is cool and dramatic one moment and whatever is necessary the next.

Iirc this is not canon.

1 Like

Sure, I think that was fair based on my use of ‘soon’.
Genn Greymane: That’s the last of the soldiers. They’ll be calling up farmers next.

I’m not saying they are using farmers now. But the fact it is the next step would imply they are below their prior numbers.

I mean, yes and no. Do the numbers actually matter? No, since there is always enough. Blood Elves lost 90% in the Third War, more with the Kael’thas thing, and have still contributed to every major conflict in the last decade without one new generation. But we can still assess what the nation’s strength is suppose to be based on what they tell us.

I never said that, moron. I said any fool that thinks Sylvanas is even remotely redeemable isn’t worth having a discussion with.

What a sassy boy.

7 Likes

It regards to the Alliance being a weaker nation, that statement is relative to the post-Legion Alliance that saw most of their armies and fleets destroyed.

The thing is alot of important characters have been written out to make way for Sylvanas. Case and point Thrall, you would think when something as big as the legion invasion or faction war happens. That thrall, the most respect and well known character int eh horde would have a story. Like blizzard told us. It just doesn’t make any sence for him to be missing.

Blizzard, instead of using horde heros. Like Sumo, Raegar, Drak’Thar they instead are raising dead alliance chacters or using character that make no sence like Garona.

Why use Garona, she isn’t even horde. Couldn’t they use someone from the shattered hand and give the horde Shaw counter part? or someone from the death stalkers?

And Rokhan i can’t believe he was defeated by the image of light bound blade master… Speaking of which where are the orc blade masters? where is Sumo? It feels like blizzard doesn’t care to use horde assists. I mean he blade masters were the mage counter hero counter part to the horde. Yet in wow they haven’t had a significant role.

3 Likes

Ya I agree with most of what you said, but allaince doesn’t have stronger troops. The horde does, but allaince has the numbers.

Well, Thrall’s absence is a special case since Metzen retired and then was out of commission for a while because of his spinal surgery. I remember hearing that he was meant to have a bigger role earlier in BfA but they had to push it back due to his long recovery.

2 Likes

I love these special cases, funny how they work out. But in alll honestly he been fine for a while, they could of added thrall in 8.1 or 8.15

Man after reading the op why does this feel like a classic story of good vs evil, where the villain is few in numbers regarding strong leaders but they lead a monstrous horde that outnumber and overpower its enemies out to take over the world.

While the good side is looking for a solution to end this violence and possibly a outcome for peace. This side has a variety of heroes but the army is lacking and in trouble to the point of needing to recruit the everyday common persons to survive this war.

Luckily for the good side a high ranking leader on the villain side doesn’t agree with their leader and has shown clear disdain for her and the actions she makes everyone do, this may be the opening they need to win this war.

2 Likes

The story direction points to the opposite. The Alliance soldiers are elite while the horde rely on numbers. Blizzard even said the nelfs were outnumbered 6 to 1 and held the horde off Ashenvale until the war of thorns.

Because blizzblazz is creatively bakrupt.

1 Like

1: TBH I’m actually not sure at this point which side has the numerical superiority.
Remember that one world quest back during the Darkshore pre-patch? It was up north of Lor’Danel around the Shatterspear Troll area. All the Tauren NPC’s up there were labeled “Horde Conscript” (interestingly enough, all the Orcs were "Horde Grunt or some such).

Now our definitions of conscription in real life may differ from WoW, but if the idea of compulsory military service is the same, then just going off that world quest it seems like the Horde was in need of soldiers even at that point. In the fighting since it’s likely the are in even more need now (along with the Alliance, for that matter).

So, not relevant.

We now the two factions are evenly matched, because this is emphasized by both sides in the recent novellas.

1 Like

lore wise it shows orc races as the strongest. Reason NE could hold them off was not due to their strength as individual soldiers but their efficiency as a army. And the terrain and the fact that NE were lead by malfurion and are a lot stronger in the jungles. They wouldn’t stand a chance in the open like barrens.

At the rate that Blizzard kills them, its a surprise we have any.

In any case, we are the villains now so anyone who isn’t evil either just has to no appear or has be Saurfang doing what the Alliance wants him to do.

What did the all-powerful Vindicar do on Argus. Win one quest? Make a hole in a wall? I don’t get why people think it is a big deal.

1 Like

OK, why would we think that Alliance had more casualties there?