Hope The Maw Gets Better

Look I get it’s Hell, so it’s not supposed to be a joyride. But I really find the place to be aggressively dull.

The enemy variety is practically non existent. I’ve expressed before how boring it can be when the villains are just interchangeable dudes in armor but this time they didn’t even bring the dudes - it’s just armor. And some fire elementals who I guess are somehow more mean spirited.

And it’s a shame because the other zones are just a feast for the eyes full of interesting characters and fantastic and fearsome creatures. Then you go to the Maw and it’s a gray and darker gray color pallete with boring enemies. It almost feels insulting that the Jailor wants to thwart me because trust me bud I don’t want to be here any longer than I have to either.

20 Likes

I’ve actually been postponing my covenant campaign because I’m at the point where I have to do a fairly long-looking questline in the Maw. I’d rather just do daily quests in the four other zones, that’s how much I don’t like going there. I find it dull and not fun.

3 Likes

No mounts! Cause hell doesn’t respect your time.

6 Likes

I gotta admit having to slowly levitate around the place really doesn’t endear it to me.

I mean I’ll give it credit for definitely being somewhere I would not like to be stuck in. But I guess I don’t understand why they couldn’t be more creative. Why not go full on Hieronymous Bosch? Just have it be a nightmarish bad acid trip of a zone. Instead it’s gray black rocks and gray black buildings far as the eye can see.

10 Likes

I am so far ok with it. Its kinda fun sometimes. Wish the maw intro was skippable though.

2 Likes

It’s hell its not suppose to be pretty

1 Like

That is sort of the entire design point of the zone. It is the scorched, shattered, and dessicated remains of another realm of the shadowlands that fell into the Maw. Zovval threw out chains and drug the floating ruins into orbit around his tower and then stitched it together.

The rank-and-file Mawsworn are basically an endless army of mass produced automatons animated by Shades which were produced from souls tortured to the point they lack any sense of self or will of their own.

I like Torghast despite it having similar problems. But the buffs, traps, puzzles and souls to rescue keep the pace fresh for me.

But the Maw itself doesn’t have that, and it becomes pretty clear to me just how boring faceless black armor really is to fight. I think it’d be better if the Jailor had more of an Azshara esque presence, openly mocking and challenging you the whole way through.

Or hell maybe just have Slyvanas do that. Say what you will of her the Banshee can roast people pretty well.

3 Likes

You can be interesting without being pretty.

The Maw is neither.

8 Likes

If you think so I think it’s interesting enough

I am personally OK with it, but that may have to do with the fact my travel form still works, and I can stealth around mobs I do not want to deal with…

The Maw is just extraordinarily annoying in that it totally craps on classes with low mobility and less control.

The next Druid who remarks on how convenient travel form is in General Chat I am going to find and spam nasty emotes at them.

8 Likes

This is my main and my primary alt is a Death Knight. At this point I’ve a macro to target those mounted dudes so I can steal their rides.

Love how my mounts, who have been with me through thick and thin, who are literally covered in fire, ice, or other magical power, won’t go into the maw with me.

But whenever I call my faithful little Kyrian Steward I met a week ago, they come running right quick, even into hell itself.

10 Likes

What I want to know is how people’s choppers suddenly became sentient.

2 Likes

The vibrant orange skybox is pretty while also being bleak. It’s just a shame our cameras are ever focused on the literally featureless black ground. They need to lean into the Awful Orange color palette more.

I can’t imagine nothing more boring than potential nothing.

Nothing to bewilder yourself with. No unique sights to draw your attention… just nothing…

The Maw achieves this boring bland feature… and really needs some touchups.

2 Likes

When I first heard about the zone I thought it was going to be Argus on crack. Just this realm of pure chaos where everything desperately wants you dead and you’ve to carefully plan and prepare to get in and out before the Jailor notices you.

I just did not picture myself hitting auto run down a long road, where I’m hoping an enemy attacks me so I can steal his ride, while I alt tab out to find another podcast because this is that low impact.

2 Likes

At first, I just found the Maw boring. Now with Perdition Hold unlocked, I find it tedious as well. The extremely long leashes, the irritating CC abilities that hit you even if you’re not in combat with them, the long walks back when some jerk dumps his adds on me.

If I were the Jailer, I’d be peeved too if this was all I had to do for the past millennia.

3 Likes

Hearing about it from beta testers I thought I would hate it more than I do. I probably definitely would if I didn’t have Ghost Wolf, so slower classes definitely have my sympathies.

That said, to me Blizzard has actually managed to do the impossible: they actually made one of their villains threatening for once. I have never before, ever, felt like I was in danger when fighting baddies in this game but I do with the Maw. The Eye of the Jailer threat system works really well (should have used it on Argus grumble grumble).

I actually wish it had been more blue than orange. The Torghast architecture is evocative of ICC, so the zone should be more evocative of Icecrown. At least IMO.

3 Likes