Holy shield and mastery?

Is holyshields magic block chance effected by mastery? I noticed the tooltip for mastery says it effects melee block chance but after taking holyshield the verbage doesn’t change. Has anyone tested this?

The chance you have to block a spell is the same as the block chance on your character sheet. That is increased by Mastery. So yes, Mastery increases your chance to proc Magic Block if you have Holy Shield.

1 Like

Holy shield works for ALL spells to. So it’s amazing in PvP to block Dots from locks, boomkins, priest. So higher block the more Dots and spells you can block. Always fun blocking Gpyro. However block Dots deals a nice bit of dmg to the attacker.

I blocked a greater pyro the other night, felt like I was hit by a normal pyro.

Was the best feeling!

1 Like

I know right. I had my wall up other night being hit by multiple people and reduced a Gpyro down to 16k dmg.

Which with how much dmg reduction Block value offers on high end shields I think you will mitigate far more damage with higher mastery from Blocking than going with Versa as a go to stat.

Think people forget about that and just look at the flat % Mastery reduces but not how much it effects everything you block and when Block value is reducing dmg 50%+ Then that will be better than Versa. In regards to mitigating damage.

Just my thoughts. Especially as item level goes up on gear.

Spells are blocked at 40% DR same Legion.

The blocking mechanic changed from Legion though. Unless just spells act the same but then why have Block value. Oddly enough my block value gives me about 40% so haven’t been able to see a difference if there was one. Just assumed the blocking mechanic is the same and why higher block value matters you mitigate more dmg.

40% though would still be pretty great to block as much as you can.

Block Value is intended to make your shield upgrades more important. The value on your character sheet only affects physical attacks. Spells are blocked at 40% independent of Block Value. It’s one of the reasons Block Value above and beyond your Shield is bad.

Also Blocking as a mechanic is the same e.g. two roll system. The amount blocked for physical attacks and how that is calculated is the only thing that’s different now.

1 Like

Thanks for the info :wink: Well in a way that is good cause it’s already pretty OP. I been playing a Prot warrior and I had a 370 shield so the block mechanic reduced more but of course they only block melee which sucks. Prot warriors are so squishy and why I shelved him to play Prot pally cause you can block everything and most dmg you take is Dots from spell and ranged Spells. So it’s been amazing to play a real tank.

Just feels good to block almost everything. Feel like a WotlK Prot again. Wish we could get to Hit capped.

So I did take your word for it but ( I do like to test everything to be sure ) and Block value on Shield for spells and my data at least in Dueling and all the test are different than 40%.

I have 37.85% dmg reduction from block value.

Spell dmg took was 2102 (1279 absorbed)
2102 + 1279 = 3381
3381 x .6215(37.85%)= 2101.29

I tested several times it was absorbing my block value not a 40% flat reduction. So guess I need a better shield hopefully soon to retest and see if it exceeds the 40% :thinking:

Thanks for testing this Abomination…I look forward to the results

1 Like

Do you have any logs? Everything I’ve seen in logs is that its 40%.

I was just doing test with my Mage friend before BG’s. Then going through the combat log and going through the numbers. Maybe next test ill Screen shot it? Figure it was a good time to test while in Que. However everything matched up each time to the 37.85% of my shield Block value.

So guess just more test when i get more shields for different block values.

Logs are better because you can see everything including any buffs or external factors at the time of the event. Also PvP and PvE are known to have different rules.

1 Like

Well after a lot of time and having a much better shield while always reading about mechanics somehow google brought me back to this old thread when I was reading up on holy shield threads.

I can confirm that spell damage is blocked for the value of your sheilds block value.

Currently at 58.4% for a 460 shield reduces spell damage by 58.4%. Thankfully that is the case because blocking Things from the beyond or nasty spells like Gpyro/Chaos bolt is really nice.

1 Like

This information (that holy shield is a fixed 40% dr vs magic) was based off a blue post on alpha that we saw no reason to doubt. Turns out on live it follows block value just like physical blocks and we didn’t work that out until quite far into BoD because the relevant damage was bugged and producing values that didn’t suit either model.

1 Like

Thanks appreciate your info and what happened. I am on the PvP front everything I do gearing wise is for PvP. So I am only looking at PvP logs, details and numbers on that front. Took a year off came back for 8.3 to PvP with all the new gear. So a year ago probably why my numbers looked right as PvP gave me decent data oddly.