Holy Priest Renew macro help

Having made a bunch of simple and effective mouseover macros for my druid, I figured I’d do the same for my new priest. I’ve done a couple so far with no issue, but Renew is killing me. Here is my standard go-to macro:

#showtooltip (spellname)
/cast [@mouseover] (spellname)

This has worked for everything I’ve used it for with no problem except Renew. In this format it just casts on me every time. I tried a couple other iterations I’ve found on the interwebs, but they either do the same thing OR it lands on the mouseover and simply refreshes when I try to put it on another target. I’ve been pulling my hair out for about thirty hours straight now, so any help would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance WoW family. Prost.

There shouldn’t be any reason that renew works differently than any other heal with the macro. So, I’d make sure you don’t have some other issue.

First, make sure you actually put the macro on the bar. (It sounds simple, but I once spent way too long troubleshooting a macro only to discover I only had the regular spell on the bar.)

Next, check for keybinding conflicts. The easiest way to check this is to move the macro to a different keybind that you know works with another similar macro. (This is more common if you’re dealing with modifiers, so .)

Also, be aware that mouseover macros won’t work right when used on certain mouse buttons. Unit and raid frames “eat” certain mouse clicks. (So, for example, mouse button 3 tends to be affected by this. I’ve seen slightly different results with different mice on which buttons run into a problem beyond that.) You’ll know this is the case if the macro works when mousing over a player’s model out in the world but not when mousing over a unit/raid frame.

Finally, it’s probably not your problem, but it’s a good habit to make sure you’ve got some conditionals when using @mouseover to prevent potential weirdness. For healing spells, you’ll usually use [@mouseover, help, nodead].

Honestly just sounds like you didn’t actually put the macro on your bars.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt,@player] [@mouseover,help,nodead] [help] [@targettarget,help,nodead] [] Renew
1 Like