Holy Priest as a DPS option

Blizzard could do this in week.

Ah, the Holy Priest. Overall my favorite spec. “Why?” you ask? Well it’s simple, I love Holy Fire. Whether I’m fighting a world boss or searing foes with Light, I believe I am a DPS… that has too heal or he will get yelled at. That has not happened yet because Holy Words are strong (except Chastise), Circle of Healing, free Flash Heals from Surge of Light procs AND the three big cooldowns help keep my friends alive at the expense of my damage.

If Blizzard were to remove the “Renewed Faith” or “Afterlife” talents, either one because nobody uses them, we could have a new talent that removes many healing abilities and changes your role to DPS instead. (Most likely “Afterlife” as “Renewed Faith” pairs with “Benediction” and paired talents are good game design. The level thirty talent row is a better place because “Cosmic Ripple” and “Guardian Spirit” are there and it would be a dead row for this playstyle.)

Abilities removed: Holy Word: Serenity, Renew, Heal, Guardian Spirit, Prayer of Healing, Mass Resurrection, Circle of Healing, Holy Word: Sanctify, Divine Hymn, Symbol of Hope, and Shadow Word: Pain.

Abilities gained: Sacred Flame, Holy Word: Cremation, and Silence.

Luminosity Priest

Mastery: Serendipity- Smite has a X% chance to reset the cooldown of Holy Fire. (This is based on an old spell function between the two.)

Holy Word: Cremation- 120 second cooldown, 40 yard range. Causes up to 5 enemies to suffer, dealing X Holy damage over 14 seconds at the target location within 10 yds. (Holy Words: When you cast Holy Fire, the remaining cooldown on Holy Word: Cremation is reduced by 10 sec.)

Sacred Flame- Deals X Holy damage and X Holy damage over 16 seconds. (Literal re-skin of Shadow Word: Pain that deals Holy damage.)

Silence- Brought over to further reflect the nature of a DPS.

Maybe Abilities: Heavenly Tempest, Solar Flare

Heavenly Tempest- 2 second cast time (lowered by haste), 20 second cooldown, 40 yard range. Storm of Light and flame that deals X Holy damage over 8 sec to up to 6 targets in the targeted area within 10 yards. (The main AOE should come from the mastery allowing for more frequent uses of Holy Word: Cremation thanks to Holy Fire resets.)

Solar Flare: 45 second cooldown, 20 yard range. Blind up to 5 targets in front of you, causing their attacks and spells to miss. Last for 3 seconds. (Having unique utility is good, as opposed to classes sharing everything.)

“What about talents? PvP Talents?” Golly gosh, ain’t that a pickle. The talents really don’t need to change even if that is something I would want. Either some talents will be dead or you would have one option. Holy Word: Salvation would need to be unpickable to due how huge it is, even though it has a twelve minute cooldown. PvP talents are diverse enough with some being dead but I have my own opinion on PvP even being in WoW in that it should be its own game for it and PvE’s health.

6 Likes

Bring the holy nuker back!

1 Like

tbh I would add a 4th spec for this instead of trying to balance a dps spec into a healer spec.
Would be nice to have a dps light caster.

9 Likes

As mentioned in some other threads there is an even simpler/faster options for the dev to add it; do something similar to the greenfire quest for destrolock.
No need to balance anything, and it is probably not that hard to figure out some light-based spells names/effects for current shadow spells/talents.

I don’t see Holy or Disc being given the option to turn into true or viable DPS options in the future because of tuning issues. Also, the DPS rotation of the two healing specs aren’t very involved- simply due to the fact that the specs where built with healing mechanics as the primary focus.

HOWEVER: They definitely could add something to allow Shadow Priests to ‘Renounce Darkness’ like the Hearthstone card, and turn all their spells into Holy spells. That said, it would involve a lot more work than say, Warlock’s green fire questline. Unlike a simple recolor, most of the spells would have to be completely remade to fit a Holy theme, even if their shadow counterparts had the exact same function. If this ever did happen, it would most likely be part of an expansion feature, like Covenants, Artifacts and Heart of Azeroth.

I think Holy Word: Destruction or Holy Word: Chaos would be better. Or even Holy Word: Fry Chicken, lol.

I’d really love this. I know the term “class fantasy” gets thrown around a lot, but my preferred fantasy character is holy/fire cleric and I’d be so happy to play that here in WoW.

The only option currently for “holy” dps is Retribution Paladin, but it doesn’t quite scratch the itch I feel. I don’t think reskinning shadow or making cosmetic changes would be the best route though. Instead, I’d like to see it as an option as a 4th spec for priest.

I can’t claim to know the best way to implement it or anything, so please don’t take my enthusiasm for the idea as me claiming to have all the answers, I’d just really be thrilled to have something like this in the game. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the idea of a priest DPS spec that isn’t shadow based. Something that would have theme synergy with Lightforged, that isn’t a paladin. A combination of fire and light themed attacks.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will happen.

I don’t think it’ll happen either which is a shame. I think the holy damage caster archetype is really underrepresented in a lot of games, but I still want to believe that someday they’ll just play a wild card and announce that 4th spec for priest where I can be the light slingin’ dps priest I’ve always wanted to be haha.

This thread died a week ago, but my want for a holy dps spec that isn’t Ret is still alive and well.

#ZealotPriestWhen

2 Likes