Holy Paladins are now going OOM from solo world content

Thanks to the Crazy-high mana cost Blizz put on Crusader Strike - or MAIN offensive spell - we Holy Paladins are now contently going OOM in PVP and solo world content. I get that you needed to reduce the effectiveness of the glimmer build… I don’t agree with it, but I understand it. But THIS? This just hurts the overall quality of life of playing as a Holy Paladin.

Please revert the change, or reduce mana cost by AT LEAST half.

12 Likes

true and depressing

1 Like

You are not playing the full SL Holy Paladin spec.

Hint: Covenant Conduits

Do covenant conduits make CS not cost mana for Holy or at least significantly reduce it’s cost? If not, this isn’t relevant to the topic, they will still be going OOM because it’s still going to be their primary offensive ability.

5 Likes

Agree it’s pretty bad. Questing is painful as Holy now.

1 Like

I can’t speak for max level but I have been doing fine questing, PvPing and in Dungeons (with really bad dps that never interrupt or move out of bad so I waste a lot of mana.) on my now level 34 Holy Pally that I have been leveling. I have never run out of mana in the open world yet.
I do run out of mana in PvP after a while if I never die but that’s how I want all healers to work tbh. I do have the heirloom set bonus so I’m sure that helps when I’m out of combat with mana regen.

Is it because of Avenging Crusader that reduces the cooldown of CS and Judgement by 30% that makes us burn mana, am I wrong to use Holy light > Flash of Light or is the set bonus really that strong?

I have never healed at the max level in real end game content so I’m pretty clueless how things work and just happen to be interested in the topic.

On a side note as we have a few Holy pally’s here. What’s the best thing to do when your whole dungeon team is bad and takes a ton of damage that can be avoided? I just unlocked Light of Dawn but it’s so weak, I don’t see that helping too much. I need to find a way to keep my group up when they are all standing in fire and the like, the bosses attacks, ignoring mechanics, ECT.

When I hit 45 and can get Avenging Crusader that looks like it will help, lvl 50 talents too but idk what to do till then without it being a struggle.

When you have a bad group it’s always a struggle, especially given Holy Paladin without Glimmer azerites weakness is AOE healing. Most of your AOE options come in the final talent tier.

My advice prioritise healing the tank and the highest DPS on the meters first. If someone is standing in fire tell them and if they still do it just don’t heal them and make a point of it.

That said, you are leveling so you need to cut people some slack.

If you took that particular talent at 45 then yes. Cs cost as much as holy shock and a little less than Holy light. While activating that ability takes 10% of your total mana in activation alone.

I haven’t really tested it yet in any max level content, but I already know I’d just go oom from the higher spam rate and being forced to do so as it makes it so your main healing during that window comes from your dps and not your hard casts.

Holy light is usually always ideal over flash as flash costs so much more without infusion and you’ll simply get more healing out of holy light if your target won’t die in that window of hardcasting. Just comes down to it being situational and if you have the time to cast the slower more mana/healing efficient heal over the other.

That shouldn’t happen unless you chain harder ranged open world mobs, which you shouldn’t encounter during low level questing.

Prioritize the ones that will keep you from wiping like tank and a top dps. All aoe damage won’t always be avoidable, but more often than not people will cause you pain with their positioning.

That’s because it got the light’s hammer treatment in our first row. It’s undertuned and wasn’t all that impressive to begin with. Without the azerite armor trait to increase its yardage and later the leggo it will be absolute trash in nearly every situation without getting a buff. The holy power cost to use it is just so steep and the only way it actually becomes a net positive is if you hit max targets with it and each heal crits, otherwise word of glory does more overall.

I watched Ellesmêre run 29-31+ ranged keys all night and I only caught a single glimpse of him using light of dawn in all that time in those ranged of keys where damage is abundant. He could probably count on 1 hand the number of times he actually used it over simply slamming out a word of glory because it’s simply better all around and even in most aoe damage situations which is truly sad.

In most situations it could actually make it worse. Higher mana usage for better aoe healing. But you lose all the main effects of what wings gives you normally to boost only your melee damage output. If you get forced out of melee for any reason at all you will be doing zero bonus healing with that talent as it has zero synergy with Holy shock, flash of light, holy light, light of dawn, word of glory and marty.

2 Likes

All I can say is it is noticeabley better at 60 on beta. It might just be haste but the difference is enough there might be other factors. It’s still not great at 60 but yeah 50 pre-patch is pretty bad, mana-wise, if you are doing shockadin in world content. The dps numbers are good though.

The only thing I can think of Jeff, is that the haste values are very low at 60. As the expansion ramps up it will absolutely become more of a problem at max level.

I’m still paying full subscription price tho :confused:

Maybe make baseline Classes and Specs a complete package, then add borrowed power on top?

5 Likes

This. Borrowed powers shouldn’t be required to patch gaping holes in the classes, and in fact they aren’t for the vast majority of classes/specs, we just seem to have gotten shafted for no reason… There is no reason we should be demanding anything less than what most other classes got, which is to be complete from the baseline.

3 Likes

Good point. But then who would buy expansions?

Blizzard has done this in at least 3 consecutive expansions now.

I have resorted to Light if the Martyr spam and using holy shocks and word of glory on myself. With holy light mixed in till stuff hits the fan. Legit hate the system and didn’t like it much in wod but it was better back than. The Mana cost on our spells is stupid. It takes using 900 Mp to unlock and use a holy power heal. When LoM is 140… and heals the same amount.

2 Likes

Just means they are gonna feel like garbage to play every prepatch then.

So sad…

No one needed borrowed powers to buy expansions in TBC, Wrath, Cata, MoP, or WoD, or to go play Classic, why the hell would we need them now? Borrowed powers are wholly unnecessary.

1 Like

You don’t have to convince me, I agree but we do need those conduits for SL. You can tank as a paladin without them but it is more difficult as I have experienced in the SL beta. The experience of tanking without conduits is similar to BFA with no azerite armor buffs and no azerite amulet buffs or legion with no artifact weapon buffs.

The first buff we get from the Forge of Bonds, Pelegos soulbind is

Kyrian Prot Paladin Conduits (Pelagos)

Let Go of the Past
Using a spell or ability increases your Versatility by 1% for 10 sec. Using another spell or ability increases this amount by 1% when it is not a repeat of the previous spell or ability. Stacking to 5%.

Up to a 5% versatility buff from Divine Toll and 4 other abilities. It does work and it helps a lot.

SL PROT: BRIEF REVIEW AND GUIDE - KYRIAN

And thats the problem, we shouldn’t. The classes should be complete from the baseline, if borrowed powers exist at all (and they shouldn’t) they should be minor bonuses on top, not be used to patch massive holes in the class.

6 Likes

Lol, I have been doing the same thing. Light of the Martyr is insanely efficient per cost. So, like you, I spam it like crazy before I use shocks and lights on myself.

If I want to get super derpy I Divine Shield myself and go nuts on the free spam.