Holy Paladin RBGS

So with the recent changes I noticed im doing like 4k hPS in rbgs. I used to do from 5-8k. I dont see anything in patch notes that would effect my healing. Am I missing osmething? Im Kyrian.

Season 1 HoTA HPally here.

I haven’t seriously been playing this season (just logged on the other day and wanted to yolo cuz bored) but I feel you most likely are having a difficult time with efficiency which is what is leading to your presumed low HPS.

Switch to Beacon of Faith if you are trying Virtue in PvP.

Nearly all inc damage you will have to worry about is coming from bursty single target calling. HPal is a bursty reactive healer instead of a premeditative healer where other healers will be better suited for healing the rest of your group due to rot / cleave. Tbh I believe HPal in rbgs can be one of the weakest options and it wasn’t necessarily the best in season 1 either. Beacon of Faith is better in all situations compared to Beacon of Virtue in my opinion as it’s common to see two friendlies taking the majority of the damage. You should only need spread AOE healing which is what Virtue provides on Silvershard Mines, however, you would run melee wings in that case but still with Beacon of Faith instead and it’s still stronger than Virtue.

The 100% uptime is well worth of Faith and your beacons should be some of your top healing. Especially with good timing on Divine Favor, Word of Glory, or Toll as just about any of those will basically LOH both of your beacons even outside of wrath. You still have the option of Beacon on 1, Beacon on 2, healing a 3rd target and you’re getting 3 targets healed with Faith. Most of the time you will only need to be healing one of your 2 beacons, but sometimes it’s better to emergency heal a 3rd than to switch a beacon over and waste the GCD while your new target is at risk of dying.

There is a lot of rot / group damage that you have no way to counter and therefore you’ll be missing out on overall healing charts if you are not extremely efficient in the team fights. Literally ever other healer has a better sustaining hot, we don’t have that at all. HPal is very punishing but it’s much more about the efficiency in those bursty team fights that matter and that’s where we shine ha and out-preform other healers. When I mean efficiency, I mean with your GCDs, CDs and NOT overhealing.

No other healer can really replace as large chunks of missing health in a team fight compared to HPally thanks to the instant cast crits. If there were another option, HPally probably wouldn’t be taken at all and I don’t personally think it’s the most meta pick right now anyways… There is way more to HPally than HPS and your RBG leader should know that.

Very rarely should you be unable to keep up a target that is being focused in a burst window. If you are still having trouble after going Beacon of Faith, there is something seriously wrong about how you’re playing HPally.

This macro is ESSENTIAL to me:

#showtooltip HelpSpell
/cast [@mouseover,help] [help,nodead] [@targettarget,help,nodead] [@player] HelpSpell

Description: Cast a helpful spell at a friendly when you are mousing over a friendly, or if you are not mousing over anyone, you will cast a help spell at your currently targeted friendly player.

Application: This should replace all of your @ target macros and all of your @ mouseover versions of those macros. Long story short, you do not need 2 separate macros for the same spell, one being @ target and another being @ mouseover, you can just use this one instead to do both. This macro overrules the current target which is important because since mousing over a target is quicker, it gives priority to the mouseover target. If you want to cast at your current target, simply don’t mouseover anyone (as you wouldn’t do anyways) and the macro will be treated as a normal @ target spell.

*HelpSpell can be anything you want to cast on a friendly target such as renew, regrowth, bubble, dispell, slowfall, life grip, blessings, and most importantly, normal heals. You can use absolutely anything you would cast at a friendly player. I use separate @player macros for my main spells.

A few tips from me:

• Take Light of Dawn off your bar completely.
  • RARELY ever should you Martyr. On the move it’s only a last resort in rare situations.
  • ALWAYS have both of your beacons up and be smart about your targets with them.
  • DON’T FoL Spam.
  • Aura Mastery is MAINLY for your group, not really for you Mr Instant Cast.
  • MOUSEOVER MACRO EVERYTHING SEE ABOVE MACRO
  • If you’re taking damage, your team is not peeling or you are not LoSing / ranging.
  • Holy Light is your bread and butter filler in between shock / wog when pressure is low.
  • Dispel only what is crucial (hard CCs, mindgames, maledict etc)
  • Fill during low pressure with executes / judgments etc, you’ll help your team a lot
  • The bulk of your healing is Holy Shock / WoG Crits so trust them
  • Divine Favor like almost literally on CD
  • Ultimate Sacrifice is sketchy but can save your team if used right
  • You can sac (if you won’t need it) and you are about to get polyd

HPally is not in a great RBG spot tbh. I play MW and RDruid as well and they both are less pressure / easier / more mobility / hots. That being said, I will always be HPal at heart and had mained it for over 10 years despite all of the changes. If you insist on sticking with HPal, I worked my way to Hero without an actual group / without being one of the “cool kids” but it was extremely difficult and I did get lucky with getting some good invites from some multi heroes.

Hope some of this helps mate. If you love the class, stick with it but really pushing super high rating will be an immense challenge no matter who you are unless you somehow have an in with one of the few hero main teams for their alt groups. Most HPallies have switched to other healers since it’s just so unforgiving. By all means if there is anything specific I may be able to speak to I’m happy to help.

Best of luck to you and any other interested HPallies,
Mocha

2 Likes

Sorry for stealing the thread, but question - I often times feel that I can’t afford to cast Holy Light because it’s slow and focus target dies too fast and I just end up spamming flashes and running oom. Is it just the case of the target being too undergeared / not using defensives / lack of coordination? What’s would you say is an approximate ratio of FoL vs HL usage in a typical game?

Do still think that BoV is useful in more chaotic low MMR / random BGs where there’s no target calling? I feel like I really run out of gcds trying to juggle beacons when everyone is taking damage.

Hey mate. I just looked at some of my details from recent Yolo PUGs and out of 1.4mil I casted FoL 8 only times and I believe all of them were casted while in Aura Mastery throughout the game and only when I really needed them (shock on CD, Bestow Active, not at 3 HP for WoG, no Divine Toll and no Divine Favor)

Bestow of Faith grants 1 HP, Shock Grants 1 HP, and people forget that Holy Light while under Infusion of Light proc grants 1 HP and Word of Glory costs 0 mana and heals more than FoL.

Honestly Holy Light you should cast nearly every time Divine Favor is off CD as long as you won’t need the immunity to interrupt. It’s basically a free Lay on Hands.

My Holy Light pretty much always ends up accounting for more healing done than FoL.

In low MMR if your team is dropping together, that’s just not your fault and that’s area where your other healers should be picking up.

I figured out the problem. I had the wrong 1-hander on lol

1 Like