Holy Paladin Advice

The last time I played a Holy Paladin was during WotLK. I see that the play style is quite different from what I was once use to. I thought that I would try out Holy again but I keep failing at it. I watched some YouTube videos and this is what I am doing:

• Judgement on cd
  • Crusader Strike on cd
  • Holy Shock to heal on cd
  • Word of Glory to heal on cd

Outside of that, I just left a 5 man dungeon because the Monk tank died… twice. Once because the tank pulled too many mobs and second because… idk… reasons? Frustrated I left the group. The Monk tank HP dropped fast!

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

To clarify: I am using this character that I am posting on.

I would suggest switching to the casting spec while leveling, the holy shock build really “shines” when you gain access to glimmer in the final talent row and without it the build just feels weaker.
It also could’ve been the tank as well, they might be learning the ropes and haven’t figured out how best to handle it.

2 Likes

Yeah you would only take crusaders might if you have glimmer. I would switch to bestow faith with holy light spam with wog thrown in. If the tank is pulling too much, don’t be afraid to speak up. We are very cooldown dependent so keep that in mind.

1 Like

It gets better when your beacons become meaningful and start generating HP. You don’t get wings until like 37 which feels really bad as well. 50+ hpal is a way different thing than levelling hpal so i wouldn’t worry about it right now

Hpal as a whole is clunky, but borrowed powers really help it out

2 Likes

To be fair, you also have to realize that there’s a LOT of Monk tanks out there that have no idea how to work their stagger and purify it. You can always tell who’s new to Monk tanking (or just sucks at it) because their HP will get chunked and their stagger will almost always be in the red.

2 Likes

Unfortunately. Crusader’s Might is also dependent on you having two charges of Crusader strike so you can fully reset your Holy Shock. I definitely would recommend running Bestow Faith when you are leveling. Even when you play perfectly with the way leveling dungeons work its inevitable that you get a tank that is either new and doesn’t understand how to play, or simply lacks the tools that help them tank due to being a low level

1 Like

Or you get someone like me. I have a lot of trouble staying alive because I have no idea when to use Purifying Brew. Basically this:

yellow stagger
Hmmm…I should purify my Stagger.
gets chunked and stagger is red
Well, I’m just gonna Expel Harm, Celestial Brew, and hope the healer isn’t too mad at me
healer dying inside

I’ve been playing Holy Pally with my main since Wrath and I’ve healed nearly every raid and every 5 man since then. At this point I’m about to just give up with mine because I truly despise the new healing playstyle so much. It drives me insane that I need to dps in order to get holy power to actually heal anyone. If I wanted to play like that I would play a Disc priest.

I’m so sick and tired of being number 6 or 7 on the healing meters when there’s only 5 healers in the group. It drives me insane when the tanks are out healing me. Yes, when I look at over-healing numbers things are much different. I’m by far the lowest with overhealing numbers. But let’s face it, who looks at those besides those players that are playing the class that they enjoy and are the bottom of the barrel at what they are doing.

3 Likes

I am maining my holy priest now for the same reason. Holy paladin feels awful now with no sign of improvement on the horizon. The Flash Concenration legendary allows for chunky single target heals which feels somewhat similar to what I used to love doing on my paladin.

I had a chance to look at your logs really quick and I noticed that you’re missing out on quite a few holy shock casts! With how strong glimmer and especially with running the legendary you’re running you can get a lot more maximization by just casting holy shock on cd! Even if everyone in the raid is at 100% (which I mean I guess could happen) or at the minimum one of the tanks who doesn’t have glimmer. Doing this alone will give you a lot more holy power and make the class feel a lot stronger.

1 Like

Are you popping your CDs often? holy paladins have to use thier cds more liberally to heal more effectively.

Monk tanks are very squishy in leveling dungeons and you don’t have your full toolkit yet. Don’t despair! I also played holy in wrath and the spec plays so differently, but you’ll get the hang of it

1 Like

As a monk player, I can tell you that I wouldn’t tank at all before level 40-45. The level squish feels weird for Brewmaster because some of their important talent and abilities were pushed back to higher levels. Plus some of the lower level dungeons seems a bit overturned

1 Like

Thank you so very much for the helpful info! I was successful with switching to bestow faith and holy light spam mixed with holy shock and word of glory thrown in. However, after trying several levels I wound up sharing the same sentiments as Evelialia stated and decided to switch to Retribution.

I truly do appreciate the help!

1 Like