Holy cow, Blizzard solved M+!

The title may sound sarcastic, but I actually mean this sincerely.

I have been thinking about the newest rating system for a bit. And I just realized that Blizzard solved the main problem with people leaving other people’s keys. It’s actually now stupid to leave a key. Sure, you hurt the key holder. But you are actually hurting yourself more when you do it.

A timed out 16 gives as much, or even more, rating as just-in-time timed 15. Since both KSM mount and gear-reward-eligibility depend on the rating, and not on which keys you completed, when you leave a group you lose a chance at upgrade-able gear and you lose a chance at a rating increase. Unless the key is a 20 and you are running it solely to get the lvl 20 achievement, you hurt yourself by leaving.

I get that people still religiously grief others by leaving because griefing is the official religion of WoW. But sooner or later people will realize that they are only putting road blocks in their own progression when they leave other people’s keys.

In my opinion, the best part about this is that Blizzard didn’t even announce that this was their intention. They just slipped this change in and let the emergent behavior emerge over time.

Here’s something you don’t hear often:

NICELY DONE BLIZZARD!

5 Likes

Only once did I not want people to leave when they did in a key, and that’s cause we were at the last boss on plaguefall +16.
I still leave keys if they don’t time. Don’t see anything wrong with it.

3 Likes

You only get +5 rating for each key level increase. Fail timing a key is -10 points so to make up for it you need to do another key +2 higher to cover the 10 point difference. If you overtime I think 10-15 minutes you get no rating.

People aren’t going to leave if they need the points and/or gear. Once you get past the initial grinding phase people will go back to their old habits when they care about rating so they can get invited to higher keys.

2 Likes

I left a +13 ToP because the guild of 4 azralon players refused to interrupt ANY ability on the 1st boss trio or focus fire.

I try not to be server judgy and play with Az / Rag / Quel, but there was no way we were going to succeed with 4 wipes and no one interrupting.

3 Likes

You only get +5 rating for each key level increase.

Only if it’s your 2nd highest key. If this is your highest-level key for this dungeon, you get +15.

Once you get past the initial grinding phase

You mean once we get past the 16 week when people got 252 for 16 weeks in a row out of the vault and got exactly the gear they needed out of it?

people will go back to their old habits

habits don’t work like that and nobody cares how people behave in keys which they do for no reason whatsoever. The issue was always that people would grief people doing progression.

I still leave keys if they don’t time. Don’t see anything wrong with it.

Besides the obvious (people who do it are intolerable jerks with no social graces), the game punishes you for doing it.
You don’t get a free rating increase (which you would for completing it) and you don’t get to roll on a loot table with 1 extra piece of gear on it. A timed-out 16 drops same level gear as timed 15, but there is 1 extra piece.

It’s 7.5 per level and 15 for 4/7/10 and a +2 is 60.

Only at 4/7/10. Every other level is 7.5 and going up on your secondary key is usually around +2 per level. 1/3 of its original value, of 7.5.

I left a +13 ToP because the guild of 4 azralon players refused to interrupt ANY ability on the 1st boss trio or focus fire.

When you say “refuse” I hope you meant that you explained it to them and they didn’t do it anyway. Otherwise, it was you who “refused” to help the group out of pride while the others simply didn’t know the new mechanics.

you get +15

Only at 4/7/10. Every other level is 7.5 and going up on your secondary key is usually around +2 per level. 1/3 of its original value, of 7.5.

I am sorry, but that’s incorrect.

I am 15/14 on Spires (both timed). My Spires rating is 248. According to you, my rating for Spires should be only (2*5 + 15 + 2*5 + 15 + 2*15 + 15 + 2*5) * 1.3 - 2 = 134.5. But it’s not. It’s 248.

I am also 16(timed out)/12(timed) in Halls. The rating is 234. Which is only 1 point away from being 15/12 timed.

And I am at 16(timed out)/8(timed) in NW with a rating of 222. So the difference between 10 and 8 (on the minor) dropped the rating by 10 points, but the timeout on 16 was worse (so I lost another 2 points there).

The simple arithmetic is that being 15/15 on all 8 dungeons has to give you 2000. So being 15/15 on each dungeon should give you 250 for that dungeon.

Your 15 is base 187.5 (plus bonus points if it was super in time) your 14 is worth 180 base. You get 33% of the second one so 60. 187.5 + 60 is 247.5.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/how-blizzards-mythic-rating-works-in-game-mythic-score-explained-in-patch-9-1-323046

Read up. Stop guessing.

Edit to add another key level: 16 is worth 195. Your second 16 of the same dungeon on the other +2 affix will be worth ~65. So the difference between your second best key being a 14 in time and a 16 in time is only 4-5 points depending on how close the timer was.

Just to clear this up for you. 187.5 * 1.33333 is 249.999 so if your not exactly in time, it will be 250 or slightly higher.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/how-blizzards-mythic-rating-works-in-game-mythic-score-explained-in-patch-9-1-323046

Thank you for the reference.

Read up. Stop guessing.

That’s uncalled for given that I was pointing out that your claim

did not correspond to the reality.

It still doesn’t, btw.

There are 14 levels to consider (2-15).
If only 3 of them go up by 15 points, that means the remaining 11 levels have to give 187.5 - 3*15 = 142.5.
142.5/11 = 12.95 ~ 13 points per level.

A more likely scenario is that each level is simply giving 187.5/14 = 13.39 points. And there is no round off. So the .39 accumulates each 3 levels for an additional point. So it’s 13 rating for each level for 2 levels and then 14 points for the 3rd level and so on.

So the OP claim is correct. A slightly overtime X+1 run gives 13.39-10 = 3.39 more rating points than a just-in-time timed X run.

1 Like

If you get to +13, you should know to interrupt by then.

But yes, I said twice after each wipe “please interrupt the casters” but since azralon is a Brazilian server they probably didn’t understand anyway.

1 Like

You’ve missed something. A +2 is worth 60.

187.5 - 60= 127.5 - (3*15) = 82.5 / 11 = 7.5

I covered that on the post you said I was wrong on.

P. S. There’s a whole chart on the article of what each key level is worth.

I’m explaining it a little off, my apologies for that, but this is the break down ripped straight from the article.

" When you complete a keystone, each run is worth a base amount of Mythic+ Rating.

• 37.5 rating for completing a keystone.

• Each keystone level adds an extra 7.5 rating.

• Each affix adds an additional 7.5 rating, with the Seasonal affix adding 15 rating."

You’ve missed something. A +2 is worth 60.
187.5 - 60= 127.5 - (3*15) = 82.5 / 11 = 7.5

That’s closer, but still not true. If +2 gives 60, then there is only 13 levels left to consider (3-15).

187.5-60 =127.5
127.5-45 = 82.5
82.5/10 = 8.25

However, 127.5/13 would mean 9.8 per level.

The alternative is to trust wowhead (which I don’t make a habit of doing); and believe that going from level 9 to level 10 is worth 22.5 (150-127.5) rating points.

I’ll just refer you to the chart. I’ve already made enough errors along this. The 7.5 bonus occurs 4 times total (twice at 10, once at 4 and 7) so 30 points of bonuses at 10. 60 pts for a +2 . It completely makes sense that you’d get bumps at these key levels because new affixes are being added on top of the increased bonus health and damage.

187.5 (+15 exactly in time) - 90 (bonus pts) = 97.5/13 (excluding +2) = 7.5

I agree that it makes sense that there would be bonus rating jumps at the levels where additional affixes are added. BTW, I just got an extra 1 rating point by doing a slightly overtime 12 (which is a minor) even though I already had a very overtimed 16 as a minor.

The secondary key is worth very little per key level so it kind of checks out. If we assume 40% is the threshold to get nothing (I’m not assuming this, but you don’t trust wowhead for some reason) your key could have been worth up to key level - 15.

195-15 =180/3 so 60. Nvm that if you broke the 40% threshold your 16 would be worth 0 and your score was coming from some other key. Depending on the key, you had to be 12-18m out of time for it to count as 0.

I’m not assuming this, but you don’t trust wowhead for some reason

According to their whole theory, a just-in-time timed 15 minor should be worth
250/4 (= 250-187.5) = 62.5

But I get 102.9 points from a timed-out just-in-time 12 minor.

It’s just as likely that the minor has no penalty. And you simply get 125 for a timed 15 run. 60 for +2 and then 5 points for each additional level. Since I am getting 125 for a timed 15 major and 120 for a timed 14 minor. And 60+ 5*13 = 125.

Except me and many people like me were 1500+ at the end of the first week. Doing a similar week in week 2 only awarded 500pts.

1 Like