HIT Rating is Majorly Broken!

There is something seriously wrong with hit rating / weapon skill in the game.

The way it’s supposed to work, is if you have 5% hit, you are never supposed to miss a yellow attack with your main hand (or two handed) weapon. If you have 9% hit (8% with racial), you are never supposed to miss a white attack with the same.

The first 1% of hit gear you have is ignored unless you have 305 weapon skill. IF you have 305 weapon skill, your first 1% of hit gear counts PLUS the +5 weapon skill counts as 2 hit on its own. So someone with +5 weapon skill goes from needing 9% hit to 6%.

Now, I have human sword racial, so I’m automatically at 305 weapon skill with swords. On top of that, I have 2 pieces of hit gear. So my hit requirement to never miss a yellow attack would look like 8% hit - 2 = 6%. I should only have a 1% chance to miss a yellow attack with a two handed sword and no pieces of hit gear.

I have TWO pieces of hit gear, that should bring my hit rating from 6 to 4, meaning I should never miss a yellow attack.

Now on top of that, I have OEB which has +9 to swords. Every point of weapon specialization above 305 counts as a little over a tenth of a point of hit. So 9 extra points bringing my weapon skill from 305 to 314 should count has roughly 1 extra point of hit gear. So my miss rating should be 3!!

I have -3 hit from 305 weapon skill to bring it from 9% to 6%, -2 from gear to bring it from 6% to 4%, and -1 from OEB to bring it from 4% to 3%.

So tell me, if I am 2 hit points below the threshold from missing any yellow attacks, why I am constantly and consistently missing yellow attack against other lvl 60 players (not even talking about elite mobs) in AV???

I had already posted earlier how OEB the sword is already broken and not giving the strength bonus from it’s stats. is it also not getting the stat bonus from its +9 to swords?

Even without the +9 to swords, with 2 pieces of gear I am below the threshold where I should be missing any yellow attacks.

What is going on here? Is anyone else experiencing something similar with hit rating?

Your numbers are wrong.

The fact that you are unable to explain how I’m supposedly wrong speaks for itself. Numbers are right, big problems with HIT for two hander users!

1 Like

No expert but that’s not taking into account dodge or defence + on people’s gear right? Some talents as well I believe?

2 Likes

I am talking about MISSES not dodges, blocks, parries.

Clear as day to see as it pops up on screen as a miss and is logged in the data logs / damage calcs as that also.

Just saw this post also about hit being bugged. Not sure if this is related or not.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/melee-hit-bug/307035/5

Fairly sure the first response had it right, your numbers are wrong are they not? OEB pretty sure has 8 to swords not 9, and even at 314 2h skill isnt that not enough to bring it down a whole hit percentage, extremely close or something within some decimal places but it rounds down, from what I understand you’d need exactly 315 to bring it down a whole extra hit percentage. I could be wrong here, I dont read a ton into the in-depths of this stuff as much as I should, you could ask in the warrior discord or the fight club discord I’m sure people there could help you more.

I have notices this, too. I’m leveling a human ret paladin. At level 45 with maxed out 2h swords, I found my attacks missing quite a bit while fighting level 40-41 wolves. The wolves were also parrying and dodging quite a bit (parries annoy me to no end… My druid can’t parry while in animal form!)

The wolves also seemed to be landing too many crits on me, too.

I think you may be wrong about the weapon skill.

If I remember correctly it’s .04% hit per point.

So .2% hit for being 305 skill

What weapon skill does in PvE that is powerful is how it interacts with glancing blows.

If I recall it’s 40% of all attacks are glancing regardless of your skill vs a boss level NPC.

Where the weapon skill helps most is how it interacts with the glancing mechanic in negating the reduction in damage of a glancing atrack.

If I remember correctly at 310 skill you still see glancing blows at the same rate, but the damage penalty is eliminated.

Also I remember for melee regardless of race it was 8% hit to have a 100% chance to hit with special abilities.

With a 2hand weapon or a single 1 hand weapon 8% is all you need even for auto attack.

For DW like rogues and fury warriors I think it’s somthibg silly like 26% needed for auto attack to never miss.

I have also seen some funky behavior regarding how things like WoW logs tracks damage.

I suspect something is broken, but given that I am beginning to suspect wow logs as defective it’s hard to tell where the fault is.

You’re numbers are right, I think, for pve. But for PvP I think it’s different. Yea in pvp hit cap is 5% and I think you always have a 1% chance to miss.

Your numbers appear to be a bit funky. From the way you are talking, you seem to be talking about attacking players, not monsters. You also seem to be confusing various aspects of those differences together. My main focus is from a PvE perspective, but I think I can clarify your issues. My source for all this will be https://github.com/magey/classic-warrior/wiki/Attack-table

In general, there is no separate hit for white or yellow attacks. They are effectively the same, unless you are Dual Wielding, in which case your white attacks have a higher miss chance. Against a player with where your Weapon Skill is equal to their Defense, and you are using one weapon, that miss chance is 5%. If you Dual Wield, your white (auto attack) miss chance is 24%, but your yellow (ability) miss chance is still 5%.

You are partially correct about the 1% hit being ignored. I believe this only applies when attacking monsters and not players based on my source. In addition, the ignored hit only applied if difference of their defense and your weapon skill is 11 or higher (so only if you attack a level 63 mob who will have 315 defense when you have 300 Weapon Skill). You are also correct that you effectively get 3% hit in a PvE environment attacking a level 63 mob if you have 305 or higher Weapon Skill. This is due to the miss chance both using a different formula and not having 1% hit ignored.

Against a player of roughly the same Defense level as you, you don’t have any special bonus form the Weapon Skill (other then any hit it may give you). Since you’re attacking a player, there also isn’t any hit% reduction.

To clarify, each point of Weapon Skill gives 0.04% hit chance. With your Weapon Skill of 313 you would have +0.52% hit.

Let’s try you attacking myself as an example. Between your racial ability and OEB you have 313 Weapon Skill (+5 racial, +8 OEB). You also have 2% hit from you gear, as well.

I am a Protection Warrior, and have several pieces of Defense gear. I don’t recall exactly what my defense stat is, but going off a few pieces i remember let’s say i have 339.

The formula used to determine a “miss” on a player is:

MissChance = 5% + (PlayerDefense - AttackerSkill) * 0.04%

So, if you attacked me, your miss chance would be…

5% (base) + (339 (Defense) - 313 (weapon skill)) * 0.04% - 2% (hit from gear) = 4.04% Miss Chance

It could be you are attacking players with decent defense as part of it, but if we use the formula with someone with basic defense…

5% (base) + (300 (Defense) - 313 (weapon skill)) * 0.04% - 2% (hit from gear) = 2.48% Miss Chance

Seems like you need 3% more hit to avoid missing most players, or 2% if you don’t care about the 0.48% miss chance you would then have. Notice how the Weapon Skill gave you an effective 0.52% hit?

I hope this helps to clarify things!

You brought it up, so I thought I would share new info. According to my source, you can’t fully remove the Glancing Blows damage penalty. You can look at the chart in the source, but ideally you get 308 Weapon Skill (making the delta between your weapon skill and the mob’s defense 7), to reduce it to a minimal amount. 305 gets you surprisingly close to the ideal though, as the reduction isn’t linear.

You are correct that 310 was believed to be the ideal before Classic launch.

1 Like

I would suggest hopping in the Warrior Classic Discord and running this by them, as far as I know there is always a 1% chance to miss for both melee and casters - but further then that I do not know enough about melee users to provide valuable input.

However, the people in the Classic Discords definitely do, and would give you accurate information by comparison to your average forum browser.