High Elves and Eye Glow: Blue is Out, No?

Fact: High elves and blood elves DON’T get to choose their own eye glow. In other words, we’ve no examples in the franchise’s established and canon lore of members of either group changing the glow that emanates from their eyes at will. The colour of their eye glow is a natural and automatic process that’s a result of reaction; specifically reaction to a prevalent type of magic. Sure, sometimes it will change temporarily: during the use of a certain form of magic; we have visual examples of that (the WoW Comic series, for reference). But it will always return to the default: the most prevalent magic involved in either group’s life.

Another fact: blood elves and high elves are sustained passively by the Sunwell, and it is typically the Sunwell’s magic that’s most prevalent and consistent in the lives of the average elf of each group. By the way, we know that the new Sunwell’s magic changes the glow of a blood elf’s eyes to gold (it appears to still stay Fel green if Fel magic is still used heavily by a blood elf, but otherwise the default glow now appears to be golden; it hasn’t gone back to blue).

So, knowing these facts, why do people who want playable high elves also advocate for them to have the old, blue eye glow option available during character creation? By my logic, that’s a thing of the past—a relic of a Sunwell now gone. Wouldn’t the average high elf now possess golden eyes, as they—like the blood elves—now feed passively on the new Sunwell’s magic?

My thought is yes.

1 Like

I would say depends if they passively sustain off the well or depend on siphoning off arcane magic still. With what still shown in game looks like arcane is still the go to for them blizzard saving them for a rainy day still.

Do any non-Paladin belfs have golden eyes?

Reason why Night Elf eyes glow with moon shine. Get it? Moonshine. hahahaha

In WC: 3, one of the things that was interesting about the blood elves was that Kael didn’t know why he was feeling how he was feeling—low energy, almost sickly, thirst for magic—after he destroyed the Sunwell. He was told why by… I think it was either the first prominent Night Elf he met or Lady Vashj (I cant remember. Probably the latter). This shows that they get their basic magical needs from the Sunwell passively. In other words, it’s as unnoticeable as breathing. Couple that with the fact that Blizzard have confirmed that the blood elves and high elves are connected to the Sunwell no matter where they are in REALITY, and choice is out of the equation. They can choose to take in more magic from the Sunwell for an extra boost, but the bare minimum is given without choice, it seems.

2 Likes

Blizzard probably won’t want to put any effort with that cause they still want high elves for something down the line. They want to keep high elves and blood elves separated by eye colors to keep it simple.

Are void elves slowly corrupting the sun well or did they get cut off at some point.

High Elves had Green, Purple, Brown, White, and Blue eyes before Arthas invaded Quelthalas and corrupted the Sunwell. While Blue eyes would be distinctive and it is the most bandied about physical difference, High Elves are not just “blue eyed”. They could have various eye colors before, and presumably still could.

Nothing seems to have happened to the remaining High Elves to change their eyes. As opposed to the Blood Elves. So I am not sure what your point even is.

9 Likes

^ This pretty much,

3 Likes

The big words are could have but blizzard has only shown high elves in game with blue eyes really for the most part. Only color I can think of beside blue is maybe purple not sure why its important to show high elves with gold eyes. Unless your just trying to convince yourself you play a high elf for rp reasons or trying to petition for blood elves to get blue eyes. Does it really matter high elves really don’t exist anymore they are a faction going extinct for the most part. I rather blizzard focus on making a better story than doing little cosmetic changes to npcs.

1 Like

Whilst you’re right on your point about some high elves having different coloured eyes (the first and most referenced mention of this in lore was via Varessa in Day of the Dragon’s first (or second?) chapter(s), if memory serves; Although, I’m unsure if that was a reference to her iris’ or eye glow), I dare say you’re wrong on your point regarding nothing happening to the high elves for their eyes to change glow.

Again, the Sunwell’s rebirth as a well of both Light and Arcane magic has effected many blood elves, and this effect has manifested by turning many of their eyes from Fel green to Light golden. This would effect the high elves, too, as they’re basically the same race, and thus subject to the same change.

If you need a justification, blood elf eyes are turning gold because the fel is being purified out of them. High elves already have magic that is a part of the Sunwell, so using it (which not all of them do) wouldn’t purify the existing magic.

Plus, even amongst blood elves, golden eyes are currently rare. We only see them on select paladin and priest NPCs, they are available to all classes for the sake of increased player options. They likely come from the amount you are drawing on the Sunwell. Most blood elves and high elves just use it to feed their addiction, while blood elf light users draw on it for their magic.

High elf paladins and priests could probably also get these eyes, but neither blood elves nor high elves as an entire group are going to all change to golden eyes, because the former needs the player option to exist, and the latter needs the distinction from blood elves.

You can dare say all you would like… however, nothing has happened to their eyes. Vareesa and the others are all about, and they still have blue eyes. You only have your supposition based largely on your head canon.

What evidence is there that High Elves have been able to retain their eye color? The fact that they have.

What evidence is there to back your supposition? None.

Lorthemar is not particularly Fel infused, and his eye remains green. He is also hanging out with the Sunwell. It is not his Fel use that keeps his eyes from being Golden. Yet, Liadrin has Golden Eyes.

Whether it is a choice, or a sign of the Sunwell’s reaction to an individual Elf, I can not say. But there is no reason to suggest that it would effect High Elves who remained in the Alliance - without their consent or choice.

There are Blue Eyed High Elves in BfA content. So… you seem to be arguing that your head canon is somehow more true to the lore than what is actually happening.

Some Blood Elves have had their eyes change color from Green to Gold. Not all. Does that mean all High Elves lose the ability to have Blue Eyes? You are making a vast leap.

1 Like

How many High Elves still exist? Let’s focus on story beats relating to Void and Blood Elves. The playable ones.

3 Likes

Have the eyes of any NPCs in the game changed, or just PCs? Maybe Liadrin…but she’s been active in the last expansion. I doubt they would bother to change the eyes of any non-active characters.

I started thinking about it and realized how many different races have glowing eyes.
So what we know:
You get green eyes from Fel
Yellow eyes from Light.
Blue eyes seem to be arcane. But maybe not exclusively.
Draenie have blue eyes, which we know glow.
Void elves have light blue eyes.
Dk’s get blue eyes but the recent change seems to make it look more like a fog on top of their eyes.

Forsaken and Night Elves both have yellow eyes. Night Elves were either arcane, or nature magic as their history progressed. So what’s the deal with their yellow eyes, which typically meant Light?

Enough for whatever story Blizzard wants.

1 Like

The Stormrage Novel says Golden Eyes in Night Elves is Nature Magic while Silver Eyes is normal and Amber Eyes(which the Night Elf is born with unlike Gold Eyes) is a sign of being destined for great things(by either the Light in the case of Illidan or the Void in the case of Azshara).

C’Thraxxi have been seen with the exact same Amber Eyes as Azshara and N’Zoth’s mouth glows with Amber color so it is no surprise that Azshara was marked by the Old Gods from birth. Of course like Illidan she rebels against the source of her great destiny and has said source killed.

So in the case of the undead, why do they have amber/yellow eyes? I’m sure the answer is just “The artists thought it would look cool” but I’m curious if there’s a lore reason.

Incorrect. The High Elves learned to do without the Sunwell between the period it was detonated by Kael’thas folloowing it’s corruption by Arthas and the restart that occured during Burning Crusade.

The High Elves and Blood Elves on Outland got their needs fulfilled directly from the Twisting Nether. The Blood Elves fed off demon energy in the interim. When the Sunwell was restored by the sacrifice of a Naaru and Valen’s actions some of the Blood Elves were cleansed by it. That is shown by the change in eye color. Others continue to feed off of demon blood and their eyes remain green.