Here's a Hot Take (Covenants)

Sorry, was estimating time for a raid boss encounter more than you could handle?

3 Likes

A logical fallacy. Pathological, even.

If you REALLY connect with a Covenant’s lore, or aesthetics or even the gameplay of their ability then CHOOSE IT. Who cares if its suboptimal when, in all likelihood, you’re not pushing the content that requires optimization.

Oh no! You have the wrong covenant ability for that Mythic+4! That will… almost assuredly have no appreciable effect on the overall run…

And thats a great POINT, if it was 1%, its closer to 20% on Average some classes (Disc) heading over to 40%+.

If it was 1% no one would care. This is the difference between having the right corruptions, vs worthless ones.

You could make the argument “they will balance it” but history proves otherwise.

4 Likes

Thanks for missing the point of that statement completely, I didn’t post a fallacy, you just posted an idiotic situation that connects at 0% with what I wrote.

No one is forcing you to pick the covenant with worse abilities.

2 Likes

So you want cake or to eat it? These are things a child learns in life. Are you a child? You take the good with the bad and learn to live with it. Or are you going to be the kid in the candy store?

There are 36 specs with 108 different covenant abilities. The super majority of them do not have 20% or 40% swings in healing or damage throughput at current beta testing. There are outliers. Disc’s Unholy Nova has already been nerfed once and likely will again. The Rogue’s Serrated Bonespike is WAY ahead of the other options so it will also get nerfed into the ground.

Ion has made it clear “There is no ripcord” and they will “balance away our concerns”. I don’t know what threshold of overall healing / damage contribution you guys would consider “negligible”, though. 5%? 3%? 1%?

There are definitely not 108 different covenant abilities.

2 Likes

The 40% is after the nerf lol.

The specs that will be played, do have a drastic diffrence.

“They will balance it”

Yet here is Destro, still one shotting people in 8.3 like they did in 8.0. Get with reality dude.

and they will “balance away our concerns”.

Yep, except we have heard that EVERY SINGLE TIME, and Yet every single time, THEY DO NOTHING.

2 Likes

Indeed, but to play the expac I am forced to pick a covenant. The problem is covenants aren’t designed to be fun (you know, the purpose of games in general). I can either pick gameplay I enjoy or aesthetic/rp I enjoy. Sadly, I can’t have both. Not having both is not fun.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble here, but this isn’t life. This is a game. Games are supposed to be fun.

2 Likes

But then they would switch to ‘but muh utility is better with X ability’. These people are never happy.

So the game better adapt to me instead of the other way around because I don’t like putting in effort.

2 Likes

Here’s a hotter take:

Make each covenant have a periodic power spike, like a seasonal buff. The buff shifts every three days. When your covenant is “empowered” you do 5% more damage. When your covenant is waxing or waning you do 0% more damage. Finally, when your covenenant is “out of phase” (fully dis-empowered) you do -5% damage. You can only change your covenant every 13 days. Now, a raid group would be incentivized to have a covenant-diverse roster to “smooth out” their damage over the period of the covenant seasons. A guild could choose to align everyone with one covenant, if they wanted to have a single window of high damage, but they would suffer when that covenant was out of phase.

Bring on the flames.

Maybe I see the drawback. High-end guilds would just have a rotating roster of characters in each covenant. Maybe this game is just done.

Fwiw there’s a lot of nuance to this. Many of the pro-ripcord folks aren’t concerned with pugging at all. Some just want options and feel that enough meaningful choice was had at the character creation screen. I understand that some don’t feel that way as well and that’s why this is an argument, but it’s not just run-sellers and puggers vs real RPG enthusiasts.

1 Like

The only way to reasonably balance them at this point is to nerf the good ones into oblivion so none of them ever see use. A lot of class abilities look like they were designed by people who have never seen the class they are designing them for.

2 Likes

Nope. Locked covenants are inherently player unfriendly. That’s how they were designed, and that will be their downfall.

1 Like

I would say fun is subjective and if you can’t find solace in both aesthetics and gameplay, then that’s a you problem.

And to be honest, I feel like your idea of “fun” is intrinsic to “the most powerful”, which is fine if you feel that way. However, the reality of your situation is that unless you’re running at the top 1% of raiders in the game, how powerful your ability is isn’t going to make a bit of difference. I feel like that’s what the OP is trying to get at here, albeit a little convoluted.

The sooner you drop the meta mentality will be when you start to enjoy the game a bit more, because you will likely never be in the meta where the marginal differences between covenant abilities matters.

3 Likes

Nope, if you look at my talents, they are not all the “most powerful”. I know what I enjoy, and I want to do what I enjoy. The covenant system is made to be player unfriendly. That’s no way to design a game.

This looks like you have done exactly zero research. There are some covenant abilities that are great, and some that will never see use because they would actually negatively affect gameplay compared to any other ability that could be used. The differences between the best and worst are definitely not marginal.

2 Likes

Ohh so

“If everyone would just think like me, even though I am a minority they would be happier”

Good luck with that typical snowflake logic.

3 Likes

Which means what? They’re not convenient enough? They don’t match your acquired tastes? What does this even mean?

Yeah! The Class system is also player unfriendly. I shouldn’t be forced to commit to literally any choices at all. Unless they can make sure every class and spec is within 1% performance than the choice is too restrictive. What if I want to play what I think is fun AND what is good?

That’s how stupid your position sounds.

The majority of differences are OF A MARGIN LESS THAN THAT OF PLAYER INFLUENCE.

That is to say the difference between covenant abilities will not even come close to the difference between player knowledge, execution, preparation and awareness.

Sure you might do 400 more DPS with a certain covenant ability, but you’re still doing 2500 less DPS than a good player.

I don’t see how my argument is confusing people:

IF YOU HAVE GREY OR GREEN PARSES THEN YOUR COVENANT CHOICE IS UTTERLY IRRELEVANT - PLAY WHAT YOU WANT AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT

2 Likes