Helping a new player — need to buy BFA?

I am helping out a friend of mine who would like to start playing WoW, but he’s having some issues. He’s brand new to the game, never leveled a character before, but he did pay for his first month of a subscription today. He was able to level up to level 10 in the new starting area, but now it seems that there’s nothing for him to do. I did read that new players should automatically be given quests to start leveling in BFA since they can’t use Chromie leveling, but he hasn’t gotten that. Is that because he hasn’t purchased BFA? And if that’s the case, if he buys Shadowlands now, will it unlock the BFA content he needs to continue leveling? Thank you!

BFA was rolled into the main client last week, so your friend doesn’t need to buy BFA at all.

2 Likes

OK, good to know! I’m wondering if he may have just missed something. So I guess my question is then, does he HAVE to level only in BFA until he hits level 50, or is he able to do other content in its place? I’m leveling an alt with another friend via Chromie leveling at the moment in MoP, and we were hoping he could level along with us there, but still a little unclear.

Thanks for the help!

The leveling restrictions may not have fallen off yet. Has his purchase gone all the way through on his account page?

1 Like

I’m also wondering this.

A friend recently picked up WoW again, and we’ve been leveling together. We did Exiles Reach, and are just starting BFA, however they don’t like the way that BFA is completely on rails and as linear as possible of an experience.

He wants to do other stuff - TBC, Wrath, Pandaria etc. He doesn’t have a level 50, as he hasn’t played in ages.

Does he have to suffer through BFA or can he Chromie Time and get to other content that is less linear?

He has to level to 50, thru BFA, at least once. Until he does that, he will not be able to use Chromie time. Once he levels that path thru BFA once, any other toons can then use Chromie time to experience other story arcs.

3 Likes

Once he’s played through BFA at least once and capped a character, he’ll then be able to engage in Chromie Time.

At least, that’s my understanding from all the articles I’ve read about it.

2 Likes
https://www.wowhead.com/guides/shadowlands-leveling-changes-level-squish

New Players:

• 1-10: Exile’s Reach (new newbie zone for all players)

• 10-50: Battle for Azeroth

• 50-60: Shadowlands

Experienced Players:

• 10-50: Any choice of the 8 expansions

• 50-60: Shadowlands

1 Like

I just skimmed this, however be sure to use recruit a friend with him.