Help with Bartender / ITEM_UPGRADE_MASTER_UPDATE

Ever since 9.1.5 I’ve been getting this lua error pop up every time I log in, and while I can’t seem to find anything with the addon that doesn’t work properly…it freezes up my game for a few seconds and must be using a ton of processing power or something because my PC fans spin up like crazy while it freezes, then go back down to normal levels. Only happens once when I log in and it throws the error, but it’s quite annoying when I switch alts a bunch.

I know it’s a fairly popular addon, so I’m surprised there hasn’t been an update to fix this yet, but in the meantime it’s starting to drive me batty. Can anyone help? =)

Message: ...AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:33: Attempt to register unknown event "ITEM_UPGRADE_MASTER_UPDATE"
Time: Tue Jan 18 09:04:20 2022
Count: 1
Stack: ...AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:33: Attempt to register unknown event "ITEM_UPGRADE_MASTER_UPDATE"
[string "=[C]"]: in function `RegisterEvent'
[string "@Interface\AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua"]:33: in function `OnUsed'
[string "@Interface\AddOns\AllTheThings\lib\CallbackHandler-1.0\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua"]:142: in function `RegisterEvent'
[string "@Interface\AddOns\ItemLevelDisplay\ItemLevelDisplay.lua"]:727: in function `OnInitialized'
[string "@Interface\AddOns\ItemLevelDisplay\libs\LibInit\LibInit.lua"]:996: in function <...ace\AddOns\ItemLevelDisplay\libs\LibInit\LibInit.lua:944>
[string "=[C]"]: ?
[string "@Interface\AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua"]:70: in function <...AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua:65>
[string "@Interface\AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua"]:498: in function `InitializeAddon'
[string "@Interface\AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua"]:623: in function <...AddOns\Bartender4\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua:615>

Locals: <none>

The event was removed in patch 9.1.5. The error maybe comming from BT or another addon registering the event using AceLib and BT is being blamed for being the last latest version of Ace loaded.

Search your AddOns folder for ITEM_UPGRADE_MASTER_UPDATE to find out which addon is trying to register the event (I see AllTheThings and ItemLevelDisplay listed in the trace, my guess would be the latter but…).

I found two instances of it being used in itemleveldisplay.lua, and can check the others momentarily. Do I just…delete those lines? o.O

If there is not a later version of the addon you could try commenting out (put two dashed -- at the beginning of) the line about Registering ITEM_UPGRADE_MASTER_UPDATE

If the event isn’t registered then any code that listens for that event should automatically be skipped (I don’t know the addon so this is “best guess” and by no means the ultimate fix).

Welp, tried that and now instead of one lua error I have nine. Oh well, I’ll keep waiting for the addon writer to fix it I suppose. =( Thanks for the help!

The line:
self:RegisterEvent("ITEM_UPGRADE_MASTER_UPDATE")

Should be:

-- self:RegisterEvent("ITEM_UPGRADE_MASTER_UPDATE")

That should be the only change to stop the error.

1 Like

I guess I broke it by dashing the second instance of it, I tried what you said and changed just that one and sure enough no more lua error. You rock, thanks!