Help with a trinket macro

I’ve Macro’d my PvP on-use badge, Avenging Wrath and Holy Avenger together perfectly fine and Holy Avenger is on the GCD.

What trinket are you trying to Macro?

Grim Codex

It drops from the final boss of Theater of Pain i believe, it an aoe dmg one.

According to wowhead, Grim Codex is off the GCD. And most trinkets are off the gcd.

Here’s the trinket base info
https://www.wowhead.com/item=178811/grim-codex?bonus=6805:1472
And if you click on the link of the on use effect you go to the actual spell info:
https://www.wowhead.com/spell=345739/spectral-scythe

The GCD is 0 and the GCD category is N/A, this means that the ability is off the GCD.

Blizz had made changes in bfa to prevent stacking off GCD trinkets in the same macro and now only 1 on use trinket will work, so if there is more to the macro that… Also the trinket has a 1.5 min cd and won’t fire as frequently as you can use the Black Powder ability.

I have one on my shaman, I won’t be able to do it now, but I’ll check back later and see if I can get it to work. Can’t say I’ve had issues with it firing tho

What’s your other trinket? Is it also on-use?

Ah yeah i know, i only have it on that ability cause its mostly an Aoe trinket, but im sure the CD hasn’t trigger at all and its still not working

Yes but i hardly ever use it

Maybe that’s what’s causing the issue?

You’ve got your other trinket bound to something, and it’s putting your Codex on a shared CD.

#showtooltip abilityname
/use trinketname
/cast abilityname

3 Likes

Nah i dont, i was serious with the “hardly ever use it” sometimes i even forget it even exists

That quoted section of my post should have read “for that skill or trinket to not be on the GCD”, which I will fix above. I know that the badge is not, but I had mistakenly believed the Codex to be.

Upon further testing and reevaluation of my macros, it appears I was confusing some fringe behavior of the Writhing Segment of Drestagath from last expansion for GCD of Grim Codex.

For macro issues, read this sticky first:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/macros-essential-information/21139

Generally speaking, for trinkets you are unfamiliar with and having issues in a macro, confirm that they are on or off GCD manually before trying to macro them. Use the trinket manually by clicking on the character pane, and check if the GCD is triggered on your regular abilities. Most trinkets should be off-GCD, with few exceptions.

You also typically want to use trinkets, class cooldowns, etc before the active ability - mostly because you want the trinket to buff the ability rather than triggering immediately after and burning a GCD of the trinket’s buff duration before it affects anything.

Ok guys now i feel like a freaking idiot… i realized why i doesnt work

So remember im a Sub rogue right?

And we enter Stealth when using Shadow Dance which changes our Spell Bar to the stealth version? well my freaking smooth brain forgot to keybind the macro version into the Stealth Spell Bar, i only had it into the normal Spell Bar…

2 Likes

It happens. I’m glad you were able to figure out the issue.

I had the same problem with going into Cat Form for the longest time. Glad you found it.

if its just a ‘use’ thing, can you just drag it from your character panel right down to your keybinds?

i already solved the issue, anyway its better to have trinkets macro’d

1 Like

I wouldn’t say i’m an ‘expert’ but I know quite a bit about macros and the problem i’m seeing here is you need to bind anything OFF the GCD FIRST… secondly, from reading the trinket, it very likely has an animation to it which is why it’s only working half the time… It’s either one of those factors or both, I don’t think you can ever get this to work 100% if it does indeed have an animation that isn’t instant.

Nah the issue was me being stupid:

For reference this is all I do for this

#showtooltip
/cast [spell name]
/use 13
/use 14

I have the Darkvein trinket which is a 2 minute CD so I have it macro’d to Trueshot and it works just fine. Having both 13 and 14 in line means that in case you mindlessly move trinkets back and forth you don’t have to worry about that either.

Leaving #showtooltip by itself forces it to use the first ability or use in the macro it finds so it shows up as trueshot on my action bar and no one is the wiser. You can add anything after it if you want to, but I never do.

And as far as people talking about trinkets being on the GCD I’ve never seen that, but I guess I never got the DMC card this expac.

1 Like