Help with a Demon Hunter RP char

So I find Demon hunters to be fun but I never tried to RP with them. I know that if someone were to RP as a Demon hunter their back story may have something about the legion invading and stuff but I find it hard to RP as a Demon hunter without being “Extra” with my backstory and stuff. Can you guys help me?

I think it might do to elaborate on what exactly you’re looking for. Are you seeking lore details, suggestions, some combination of the two, something I didn’t think of…?

1 Like

By “extra” do you mean you write too much into your backstory? I’m a little confused by this part of your post. Could you clarify for me?

Back story will definitely have something about the Legion invading, probably at the time of WCIII but bonus points if you want to be old enough to remember the WotA. (unlikely if you’re going Horde on this character, which would add a part about following Kael’thas to Outland before taking up demon hunting). Beyond that, the questions above my post are helpful. Are you trying to sort out what your family is or was, where on Azeroth you might have lived, what type of demon you first killed?

WoWpedia’s article on demon hunters had all kinds of juicy details about the rituals you will have undergone and their effects.

disclaimer: not on an rp server myself, just very interested in the lore.

My demon hunter is spared a lot of angst because he kind of back into it as a path accidentally.

He was one of Kael’s followers on the mission to Outland. Before Kael fell out with Illidan, he was already working with the Illidari, learning the new sources of power Illidan had promised, manufacturing the first demonsoul crystal arrays sent back with Rommath to power Quel’thalas.

The demon he’d bond with was there already, as well - one of the Satyrs, once Highborne, who had made common cause with Illidan. The two became close. When the Satyr was fatally wounded, rather than wait for him to be able to reform from the Nether, my character offered to host him.

It was a mutual arrangement. The demonsoul was Illidari-aligned already. The hard part was learning to be a combatant, but he managed. Not having an ongoing conflict of wills helped (though the demonsoul can be haughty (Highborne) or savage (Satyr) when it is ascendant.

He’s actually turned out to be a lot of fun in RP, trying to “get back to normal” in Thalassian society with his inner roommate not sure if it meets his standards or not.

Roleplay, for me, is all about character interaction. Yes, background is important because it helps -me- gauge who my character is on the outset. However, I’ve learned not to be bound by my background. People evolve. Characters change. That’s the idea behind a character’s arch, to show them moving from one state of being into another. This move doesn’t have to be large or instantaneous. More often than not, the RP characters that I’ve encountered (that I’ve enjoyed the most) have slowly evolved and changed fairly organically over the course of my interacting with them. Usually my characters aren’t tied into those character changes, but rather are there to note them. Comment on them In Character, and generally help provide some sort of background for the other player characters.

This, to me, is the essence of Roleplay. To not only tell the story of my character, but to interact with and enjoy the storytelling of other player characters.

To this end, it was very beneficial to me when I figured out Vesthi’s core character. Once I had that figured out, I found it very easy for me to slip into RP with other player characters; and our interactions were often fairly organic. So this would be my advise to you. Focus on who they are -now-. The how and why will come. It will largely flesh itself out. There’s so much preloaded into being a Demon Hunter that you really don’t have to put a ton of work into it. It’s kind of nice to be honest. Certainly know your lore, but don’t feel like you have to be constrained by it.

To my knowledge and my own experiences/opinions:
A DH is as edgy as you make them out to be. They don’t have to be super edge.
A DH is either part of the Illidari, or they are labeled as dangerous rouges and far more often than not will have a bounty on their head. The Illidari and Ebon Blade both do this, because if the DH/DK doesn’t report in every once in a while, who is keeping them accountable and “in check”?
Have fun with it. I personally find moderation to be good for which demon your DH is bound to, but ultimately, it is your character. If youre having fun, great!

1 Like

I created my character in the present. Background came in much much later.

Dude stop with the complaining over how I chose to explain it. Gesus. So annoying.

Dude, stop with the complaining about the complaining.

Management would also like to advise that those repsonsible have been sacked.