Help! Weird text for some reason?

I just recently got a new computer, ever since I installed WoW on it the text has looked like this:

h ttps://i.imgur.com/FhYCKYv.jpg

I separated the https because it won’t let me add a link. Look at both the people further away above their head (totally unreadable) and even the character menu is hard to read. I have no addons and this is a fresh install on a new computer. My old one never had this problem.

Anyone know what could be going on? I’m about to give up I feel like I’ve tried everything. I have an RTX2070Super, Windows 10.

1 Like

It’s aliasing caused by the way the names are being rendered. There’s a few ways to combat it.

You could enable the Multisample Alpha-Test in the Advanced settings in-game. This may cause some other graphic elements to disappear, however (the infested statue in the Vale invasion, some tent edges in Zangarmarsh, etc) but YMMV on that one. Note that this will require Multisample Antialiasing (MSAA) to work.

You should also be able to adjust it by setting your Render Scale above 100%. This super-samples the non-UI parts of the game, which in turn reduces the amount of aliasing until the element gets further away, by which point they may have stopped displaying at all.

Lastly you could try the Antialiasing - Transparency setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel. Setting it to, well, anything should affect the rendering of the name tags.

Your previous system either had one or a combination of these already done. It’s possible also that Radeon GPUs are different but I haven’t used one since the days of WotLK so I’m honestly not sure.

1 Like