Help me justify rogues in Dragonflight?

I have always wanted to main a rogue but for some reason they never feel like they ‘fit’ in the fantasy of what we do in WoW (except for legion class hall). I went to Dragon Isles and thought “this would make so much more sense on a warrior, druid, mage, hunter, etc” because of the fantasy of exploration, challenging beasts, and gaining knowledge.

I usually just main another class and then spam dungeons & pvp on my rogue.

Do any lore nerds play rogue? How do you ‘justify’ it?

I’d advise you look at the situation from another perspective. Many if not most of this expansion’s primary themes could work with any class because they do not specifically appeal to any, with an arguable exception for Shaman with the elemental stuff. If going from archetypes, Outlaw’s might be seeking new opportunities for business or plunder, Assassins could benefit from testing themselves against and familiarizing themselves with the local fauna.

Overall, I feel it would be better to consider how your character would personally be motivated to engage. Don’t worry about the class, but the character; the latter is ideally more than the former.

1 Like

Rogues in my guild are doing scouting for the further missions we’re planning.

2 Likes

Gotta know what the primalists are up to, and be able to assassinate leaders as necessary.

The Blacktalon.

How I fight doesn’t dictate why I travel, or where I go. The Primalists are a threat. The vacation was nice… actually got in a few years of peace. But the break’s over.

There’s a new battle now, and I’m here to fight it.

1 Like

Every conflict has its unknown heroes who fight the battles nobody ever hears about.

2 Likes

I can’t really think of any fantasy setting that isn’t full of assassins, brigands, spies, pirates, and various other shadowy scoundrels.

1 Like

Theft of goods, recovery of items in dangerous locations, recon of foes, theft of intelligence documents from the rival faction, theft of research materials, industrial sabotage of foes, spying on rival faction targets, the list goes on. Rogues have countless options to play into in Dragonflight.

Class and occupation are different things. Rogue quests hint at rogues primarily being intelligence agents. A thief is a person that steals but can be of any class even if the rogues are better optimised for that.
Playing Dragon Age I noticed that the in-game priests are rogues by class and lacked spellcasting abilities. That game defines priests as religious leaders as they should. You want a healer in your party? Get a healing specked mage.

You seriously can’t see the classic place of rogues in fantasy?

You seriously need to read up on your Fritz Leiber (Fafrhd and the Grey Mouser), your Rober E. Howard (Conan was as much rogue as gladiator), even your Gary Gygax (Gord the Rougue) Or your Michael Moorcock, after all who was Elric’s only friend and the sidekick who did his best to anchor him. Moonglum the rogue.

The main characters in the Schwarzenegger movies are at least all part rogue as their main occupation was burglar.

Rogues have probably the second most prevalent presence after warriors in your typical sword and sorcery adventure. As heroes, they are far more common than spellcasters who are more typically villains or outright monsters.

The rogue is typically the street smart adventurer of skill in a fantasy urban millieu. He’s typically the partner of the not particularly intelligent sword swinging hero, or even when that hero is intelligent, like Elric, he’s the practical street smart figure who does the talking that keeps his partner out of the gibbet or at least bails him out of the pokey.

And since we’re talking Dragons how can we not mention Tolkien’s own Bilbo?

1 Like

If you’re Alliance there are two easy solution s.

Ravenholdt and SI:7

Wherever there are competing interests, there is always room for individuals with a rogue’s skills. On the surface level there is plenty of room for lockpickers, tomb-raiders, and smugglers in the expedition for the benefit of the expedition or to line their own pockets, or to funnel goods to others.

On a political level the Djaradin and the Sundered Flame require constant monitoring. Whether by observation, moles, or other methods depends on the individual spy. SI:7 has been tasked with finding ways to combat potential espionage via the Dragonflights or others using their Visage forms, where else would such information come from other than the Dragon Isles?

Wrathion, while not a member of the Uncrowned, is certainly a contender on the world stage with his own organization that he has conveniently brought together in the Dragon Isles as part of his bid to rebuild the Black Dragonflight. If you wanted to infiltrate the Blacktalon (or are a member yourself), now is the time!

During the battles against the Twilight Cult in the Twilight Highlands, SI:7 performed a critical task of seeking out and assassinating the leadership of the cult and dismantling their operations - similar activities may need to occur to keep the Primalists in check, and their reliance on similar tools means those that participated in the Highlands clandestine operations may have insight on the best ways to counter the elemental threats.

Lots of Rogue RP opportunities in Dragonflight

One thing that I would like to point out. Not sure if it’s been said or not because there is alot of beef in all these posts so I haven’t read them all down to the smallest nuance. In RP you can do alot. If you want to RP your rogue in Dragonflight you can easily mold it to your character. The skies the limits and that’s the great thing about RP. You only have to be concerned with the lore in game. What you play in accordance of that is totally you! :slight_smile:

1 Like