Hearthstone Taking on More

As someone who plays more Hearthstone than WoW, I would like more canon story developed in Hearthstone.

It appears they are making their adventures more canonically possible. In particular the Faelin adventure in Voyage to the Sunken City seems very plausible.

Are there many lore enthusiasts who play Hearthstone? Would you be into more canon stories in Hearthstone?

1 Like

If Hearthstone stories are canon, it’s kind of … backwards canon? The idea (as I’m sure you know) is that Hearthstone is a game played in-universe and reflects the viewpoint of characters in Azeroth. So if an event appears first in Hearthstone, what we see isn’t the bare facts of how it happened, but the interpretation that it’s given, like a premade filter. I wouldn’t want them to stop doing that.

I agree. I wouldn’t want the way Hearthstone shares stories to change.

It would be nice to experience many new stories in Hearthstone and generally expect them to be canon.

As someone who never plays Hearthstone, I would not like that. I like how things are now - Hearthstone is a separate thing with its own canon that seldom crosses over to actual Warcraft lore.

It seems some Hearthstone players want Hearthstone more involved with Warcraft canon, for some reason. I guess they want to feel those stories have some lore impact? However, I like that Hearthstone can exist as a more silly and far out repurposing of Warcraft units and themes, without touching the actual lore.

These days I primarily identify as a Hearthstone player. I do still play WoW, but not nearly as often as I used to. I have many other responsibilities that don’t allow me to play as much.

With Hearthstone it is much easier to pick up and put down when I have a few free moments. At my core I really enjoy the Warcraft universe primarily for the lore and story. Having the Hearthstone stories become more canon lets me feel like I am still in the Warcraft universe without as much time commitment.

Isn’t Hearthstone basically just fanfiction using the likeness of real people on Azeroth? That’s what I figured it was. I guess there’s no laws against it.