Heart of Azeroth necklace not account wide?

The grind was MUCH worse in Legion.

You had to grind everything must more. For off specs and alts.

But it was worth it more cooler stuff.

You’re right that it was more rewarding but completely false on how bad it was from Legion to now. It was absolutely atrocious for anyone who wanted to play more than 1 spec in Legion

Considering how much worse the grind was…and we are talking exponentially worse…it better have had cooler stuff.

The Legion grind made me even more anti-alts than I typically am, for a long time.

Simple things, like the hypocritical statement that they agree that it feels bad to have to farm your neck to get abilities you already had back, while also turning off the catch up to make it harder to unlock said abilities.

The fact that alliance can level the neck faster and more efficiently, especially on the oceanic realms.

The fact that the best way to level your neck is through slow and boring world quests.

The fact that if you don’t want to level your neck through world quests you will be drastically behind compared to the time invested.

I could go on, but these were only the complaints about this from this thread.

1 Like

I love this system! But I think we’re earning ap way too quickly, I want to feel like I’m really grinding for it! Suggestion to blizz, can you make the ap drops random?

They responded to this.

…what?

I have barely touched WQs on my main and alt. both are 32+.

They responded to the fact that they don’t LIKE that you have to unlock the traits again, they have not responded to why they make you do it anyways when they could just reduce the requirement.

Warmode on alliance have a 30% buff and horde have a 10% buff to AP gains. Alliance like to sit in raid groups and farm horde and I have yet to see the opposite in any shards I’m in. Oceanic realms however get to have alliance dominated zones while having a worse buff.

32 is not a high level, in fact the difference between 32 (13k AP to Get), and the level Ythisens is at 38 (65k + 50k + 38k +29k + 23k +17k = 222k AP) is quite literally 20x as much. Ythisens has farmed 20x as much as you because he does world quests. This is not debatable, world quests give the most AP for time invested.

The best source of AP is islands. Which warmode status does not effect.

It’s the best source after you run out of world quests. Speed island farming cannot keep up with world quests.

No, your alts will be able to upgrade their necklaces to the highest reputation you’ve unlocked. I think you have to be 120 to do so though.

If you mean the AP, then yes. Just like we had to do with Legion. Least we don’t have offspecs to worry about.

1 Like

This not only comes off as a fairly petty response but kind of echoes the overall issue that our CM’s who are supposed to advocate for us when pain points arise would rather “Flex” on how players need to get woke.

Jokes are fun where there isn’t an issue that needs addressing like “Hey, core aspects of your game/progression feel bad. You are one of the most prestigious game companies in the world to start acting like it and problem solve a better solution.” But instead, we get a mediocre resolution that you know isn’t the best but will work for now and our CM dunking on someone who doesn’t craft feedback for a living.

This is why players who are mad go from 6 to 11 so fast because of this kind crap vs responding to the other well thought out posts throughout this thread that could have resulted in some collaboration to a better solution.

Congrats Ythisens you just pulled the forum equivalent of killing a low-level player in the starting zone and tea bagging them like you accomplished something worth bragging about.

4 Likes

They were responding directly to someone who was chiding them on not doing anything meaningful over the break and turning that into some vague explanation over why the game is in the state it is. And in that context it doesn’t come off as a flex. They are listing what they did that was of consequence over Christmas break.

There are plenty of problems with the game right now, but playing the victim doesn’t get us anywhere in solving them.

2 Likes

I think [Ythisens] response was fine. Stop trying to pick fights were none are to be fought. Dear God.

5 Likes

Honestly, one of the singular beefs I have with the HoA AK system is that it actually has a floor. Regardless of how much time passes, the AP needed per level cannot drop under 1k (except for the first half dozen or so that started under that amount).

I’ve been pretty lazy about leveling my neck, so my next level on this toon (to get to 32) requires 13499 AP. On a brand new 120, it takes 17,500 to get to 22, and that’s never going to go down. 2.5 months after you turn back on AK (end of February, if you turn it back on on the 22nd with BoS release), it’s going to take 27,500 AP just to get to the end of the floored levels. By a year into this expansion, it’d going to take nearly 55k AP just to reach the end of the floored levels, which currently is still roughly 10 levels (~another 72k AP) behind where a raider actually should be. By 18 months into the expansion, it’s going to take more AP to escape the floored levels than it’ll take to complete those following 10 levels to actually catch up. And since the unlock level is based on the itemlevel of the gear, that means that fresh 120’s a year from now will have weeks or more of grinding through those floored levels before they can even unlock the outer ring of the LFR and world event gear that drops at that point.

Artifact weapons didn’t have this issue, because there was no ceiling or floor. If you hit 120 after AK maxed a few months into Antorus, you could fly out and do 1-3 world quests and instantly have every single trait maxed and be half a dozen points into Concordance. It was actually a catchup. This flooring of AP means that the “catchup” portion keeps becoming a larger and larger share of the AP you have to grind out. And that greatly weakens the actual catchup effect.

1 Like

Wtf are you babbling about. The numbers get smaller every week. That’s a catch up mechanic. The grind is reduced by 30% every week(its active).

Yeah, this is an awkward area of the BFA system.

When you flip the Legion system on it’s head (Smaller and smaller levels instead of bigger and bigger tokens) you inevitably hit a point at which things simply can’t shrink anymore. That isn’t to say we can’t shrink the 1k levels even further. But if we had kept reducing them by 30% since the start of the expansion we would probably be dealing with levels so small they make up fractions of 1 whole point.

I think in this regard ( even at the expense of BFA’s visually smaller token numbers) the Legion catchup system worked better. And it simply made more sense in the long view. In Legion players naturally picked up that a bigger token was worth more than a smaller token. But in BFA players around the forums, and in game, were pretty confused as they acclimated to the new flipped upside down version. Many couldn’t easily wrap their heads around tokens not being worth any more than last week but instead the levels themselves getting smaller and smaller. Until that awkward moment they reach 1k and just stop getting smaller… and that other awkward moment in which all levels suddenly stopped getting smaller. Without warning…

I mean, why isn’t the current “Knowledge level” of BFA displayed somewhere in game like it was with Legion? That would be nice information for players( Current, returning, and new) to have ready access to.

If you play alliance I can help you with that 10 motherload :wink:

No it doesn’t feel good to grind an endless ap grind. Literally endless. I need a end or goal in sight.

I also want to be able to do the content I want to enjoy. Not being forced to do ies to try keep up would be awesome. My neck is still nowhere near 36-37 and this is my main. I even did ies at the start, I’d probably hate them less if I could do them for fun cosmetics or catch up 340-350 gear. Having to grind them on my main puts a huge distaste in my mouth.

Get rid of the stupid AP grind.

Not sure if you noticed or not, but the numbers stop getting smaller once a level requires 1k AP. In Legion, the ratio of, say, the daily heroic to early levels became astronomical, to the point where a single daily heroic or world quest could grant dozens of those early levels. When hitting 120 on a new toon late in the expansion (after AK had maxed again during Argus), a single WQ would reward a couple billion AP, which was sufficient to boost you to around level 35 in a single leap. Doing just a few world quests would unlock all of the traits, the new 4th rank in each, and a handful of levels into Concordance (though it still tooks a fair bit of grinding to hit that coveted 75 for the full NLC unlock).

In BfA, that’s not the case. The levels go down in cost, but there’s a floor to that reduction. Aside from the first 8 levels, which started below 1k and haven’t changed since release, not a single level requires less than 1k AP, and they never will. Instead of the daily heroic awarding a few dozen of those early levels, it caps at 15% of a neck level, period. It will never grant more than 15% of a neck level at any point (unless they change the mechanic or reward, of course). It takes 3-4 of even the most lucrative WQs just to get one of those floored levels. It’s, of course, massively quicker than it was when those levels cost, say, 30k AP, but it’s a far cry from the Legion system as well, and the problem is just going to get worse.

As I pointed out above, by 18 months into this expansion, it’s going to take more total AP to reach the end of those capped levels than it is to get the next 10 (and most people currently are 10-15 levels ahead of where the capped levels end, which is currently level 21). The catch-up is no longer a catch up at that point, especially since most people have been relying on AK to boost them through the levels thus far, and the weekly benefit of AK is nil for those floored levels.

For example, let’s say I earn an average of 10k AP per week. That’s generally enough, with weekly AK benefits, to get me a neck level per week at 9 levels ahead of the current end of the flooring (I’d have been at 30 when they turned off AK progression). I’m not going to get ahead of that level, but AK also ensures I won’t fall behind that level, because each week, the next level that used to cost 13.5k now costs 10k.

If I hit 120 on a new alt 18 months into the expansion and start farming at that same rate, it’s going to take me about 7 weeks to even hit the end of the floored levels as they were the day I hit 120, and in that time the floored levels will move forward another 7 levels (7k AP). In total, it’s going to take me around 3 months to get within a level or so of my main, if they are both continuing to farm at that same rate, and the first 2 months of that is just escaping the massive pile of levels at the AP floor.

Compare that to Legion, where I could get the 66 or 69 NLC unlock within a day or three of hitting 120, and the 72 unlock within the first week or so even without farming uncapped AP sources like M+. I could hit the 75 softcap within a few weeks at most.

Let’s look specifically at BoD gear. The LFR Azerite gear in BoD requires 15 for the first ring (this is actually common across all of the BoD difficulties, the first ring always only takes 15), 26-28 for the 2nd, and 30-32 for the 3rd. Just to unlock the first two rings, the spec-specific traits, on a trio of BoD azerite items requires, at current AK levels, a total of just a smidge under 40k AP. You get around 5-8k from leveling, especially if you do the various instance quests (which award 600 each), but that still means it’s going to take 3-4 weeks of farming at 120 (assuming the rate above) just to unlock the bare minimums on the new gear. It’s going to require nearly a week of farming just to unlock just the outermost ring on the new LFR gear. That’s a massive weakening of the catchup mechanism for alts (and new/returning players later in the expansion).