Healium vs mouse over

I enjoy playing healers, especially leveling through older dungeons. I started using healium because even though i enjoy playing healers i was doing terrible.

Tab, picking spell, click I was just to slow. My reaction time was slow. A friend told me to try healium and it has been a healer’s blessing! I really don’t have anything bad or negative to say about. Now I havent tried raiding with it because all I do is dungeons.

Now i have been reading about mouseover for healing, which everyone says that its the best. I havent tried it but i have read a few posts about it and I really don’t understand how its easier.

Can someone who has used both help me understand the difference. I would like to learn abit more about before trying.

I plan on sticking with M+ mostly and maybe a little bit of raiding.

Thanks for listening to me!!

I downloaded Elvui and started mouseover healing and it was life changing. I healed without it for a year and mythic+ could be super hectic unless everyone was over geared.

I don’t know what healium is but I can’t recommend mouse over healing enough. I also bought an mmo mouse and once you force yourself into using the buttons for a week it really changes the game. Maybe that’s something you don’t understand about mouseover healing, it only works if you are keybinding. Rather than clicking a player and scrolling your mouse down to a spell and clicking a spell, you just place the mouse over the player you want to heal and then click your key for healing. It works great with an mmo mouse and saves a ton of time

Edit: I just googled helium, I healed that way in Everquest 2 so that would have been tempting if I had heard of it at the time.
If you really like helium, I’m not sure mouse over healing would give you much of an edge honestly.

Thanks for the response! i also have an mmo mouse and man has that been a huge change as well. I think I now understand mouseover healing. It sounds like it would be better to use in raids than healium.

The nice thing about mouse over macro’s in my opinion is that they just always work, its not tied to a addon, plus its pretty easy to get into. Addon’s can change every patch, or blizzard could change the api and so on. Your always at risk of your addon’s being bugged or outdated and having to wait for an update. Where as macro’s they rarely change. Plus its just simpler imo.

Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

One way that is kinda between the two is vuhdo/healbot. You bind a certain heal to your mouse action (left, right, side buttons) and you can also use modifiers (shift, ctrl, alt). That way you basically treat certain mouse clicks as keybinds+mouse over.

This way I can use my main keyboard keybinds for utility/dps spells.

The reason why I like mouseovers is that it lets me choose wether to heal through the raid frames or through the healthbars of players, meaning I can have a bit of time to look at what’s going on and player placements rather than tunneling on the raid frames (a me problem, sure, but if it’s a you problem too, try it out)

I would strongly advise mouseover macros. I think I used healium years ago, and while it helped bridge the gap for me, once I learned how to make basic macros my whole game changed.

Then once you’re used to it, you can create even larger macros with damage spells in them. For example, one of mine is Rejuvenation/Sunfire/Swipe all rolled into one.

And here I am using zero addons to heal. I just click portraits and use hotkeys =/

Not sure about Healium but once i started playing healing classes i went to mouseover macros. I tried Healbot and Clique which were okay. But i love being able to just hover my mouse over a party frame and then hit whichever keybind i need to particularly now that i have an MMO mouse. Just feels easier, faster and lets me focus on other things

You just need to make two decisions when it comes to a good healing UI. First, find a healthbar setup you like. You can try Blizzard’s default UI (not recommended) or use an add-on. Next, make some mouseover macros or use the Clique add-on. I prefer Clique for it’s simplicity and to keep my action bars clean. If you haven’t already, try using Clique with your current Healium setup.

I only do Mythic+ so I use Healium with Clique. I like the UI and it has a built-in HoT tracker so I can monitor my Riptide cooldown and duration.