Healers should be encouraged to do damage

That is my thoughts but I feel like doing damage is not very fun as a healer. So I would like to see in the future a way for instead of doing direct damage with my healer a way to increase the damage of my allies with support utilities. We kind of see that now with abilities such as

I know once this expansion is over we will lose our covenant abilities however I hope in some way we can find a way to bring this active support role into our healers which I honestly feel like is missing.

17 Likes

No. Healers are not there to carry baddies who cant down content even with a tank and 2 other DPSers.

74 Likes

I’d rather do the damage myself than give someone else more damage. If they nerf our direct output to make us into utility bots to serve others then i’m just permanently abandoning 12 years of healing to reroll pure dps

25 Likes

I would never suggest destroying the capability of you being able to damage a healer and I didn’t intend to infer that, I merely would like the option to go a more support route with my character.

I’ll even give praise where it’s due I’m glad covenants give you the option to play how you want to and the option to play how I want to play.

5 Likes

As long as there’s option for both paths i’d support it

But blizz tends to full send one direction or the other and i could definitely see them remove healer independence. I’m actually afraid every patch to see “all healer damage nerfed by 75%. You are now entirely dependent on dps to kill mobs for you because your role in this game is to make large dps parsers feel better about themselves with your buffs” :sob:

10 Likes

Or there should be so much healing needed they can’t dps :smiley:

8 Likes

Yeah I feel power infusion while not a new ability put a bad taste in people’s mouths.

2 Likes

No thanks, doing damage as a healer is objectively fun.

16 Likes

Doing damage as healer should be baked in to spells so that using those spells help out in some fashion.

Maybe for resto druids, casting wrath increases rejuvenation by .5 secs per cast.

8 Likes

Doing damage as a healer is objectively not fun but I’m glad you enjoy it.

18 Likes

Definitely an interesting take I like that example as well.

3 Likes

Honestly , i want to play a tank/support , very tanky / deal less dps than every other tank but he can buff allies and litteraly soak dmg for the grp , and sacrifice himself

like for 3/5seconde 100% of the dmg are redirected to you ( tank )

1 Like

If you don’t like doing it, just don’t do it. You don’t have to do dps.

So really quick do you have a counter argument or not? Bringing myself or your feelings into it isn’t really an argument chief.

The word you are looking for is subjective. Objectively means there is conclusive and definite criteria. For example, 10 is an objectively bigger number than 2. A subjective statement would be 10 is a better number than 2 or green is a better color than red.

Edit - I would even go so far as to say the healbot style of healing needs to be done away with entirely. Healers should be made and taught how to maximize their output whether that means healing damage or doing damage to assist in a kill and thus prevent the enemy from doing more damage. Healers being pure healbots are inherently inefficient unless content is tuned as such as to require that level of constant healing, in which case it is far too punishing or doesn’t allow for players to better themselves on being self sufficient and thus freeing up healers to juggle doing damage and healing damage.

Tanks long ago changed to be more than threatbots with largely passive defenses to play much more active both in doing damage and utilizing active mitigation and are all the better for it. Tanking is still, by far, the easiest role in the game but would be even more simple and braindead if we went back to Vanilla and BC levels of tank design.

9 Likes

I think you know that answer to that. :wink:

I’ve liked past iterations of fist weaving, but not always. I do wish there was a spec or a class that was more of a “support” class and not a “healer” like something that buffs allies and debuffs enemies and whatnot. But I think that would involve reworking the “holy trinity” idea for roles in video games.

1 Like

Hard disagree there. I’d love to just be a pure healer

18 Likes

I’ve played Holy paladin since 2006 and I also have a geared-ish Holy Priest.

Literally what else would you do as a healer right now? You can absolutely do DPS and still heal at the same time.

2 Likes

If you don’t like the gameplay, choose a non-dps build.

You misunderstand me I have no quarrels with any particular type of gameplay in specific I am only offering a suggestion for the future.