Healer's remorse

I’ve mained resto druid this xpac. I did well enough to get KSM last season. Our class seems extremely neglected. The entire healing profession just seems very lackluster and underwhelming. I often pair with DK and Paladin tanks that not only have exponentially more survivability than me but they always do more damage than me and give me a run for my money in healing done…

This seems crazy. I specialize in healing and tanks routinely outheal me. The one class tuning adjustment paladins got pole vaulted them over the constant nerfs druid seemed to get. Guardian is still a dumpster fire. Now, I do as much healing as the tank if I’m lucky.

Is there ANY reason to play healer anymore?

This just doesn’t feel right to me.

8 Likes

Sounds like your not happy healing so would recommend reroll/respec.

Yes… tanks have the most survivability. Thats why they are the tanks. At least you can go bear if targeted!

Healers are capable of way more healing output than tanks. Key word is capable.

Sounds like you just run an efficent group, or the content is not that challenging for your group.

If its a mid key or a patchwerk boss, group damage will be low. Good players will avoid stepping in fire. DK will obviously be able to rune dump death strikes before your HoTs tick or you can get a cast off. AND THATS FINE!

You should not try and snipe the tank on heals.

In those times you can and should start dealing damage! A healer with high DPS output is highly desirable in keys.

Resto Druid is a very proactive healer, you ideally want to get HoTs out before damage goes out. Then when damage comes out you can start pumping regrowths, throw tranq, swarm - really take advantage of your mastery.

I recommend to focus on doing more DPS while resto, and try harder content. I find it very rewarding to be pulling 30k-40k DPS as a resto shaman on some packs.

Why I main healer? Well few reasons. I like the feeling of control over the group. I think there is high pressure to perform well, as you are the only healer it is obvious if you mess up and cause a wipe. Poor DPS can skate by, other DPS can make up for slack in damage, and healers can paper over your mistakes if you mess up mechanics. Not so with healers. You really shine if you do well, and you are shamed if you do poorly. High risk, high reward. You might see someone say 'nice heals / good job healer' other players will take note and remember that you are reliable. The gameplay is a bit slower, you are sheparding the other players through the dungeon. You do not have to have a crazy high APM like DPS facerolling, the gameplay feels more tactical for me.

There is a very rewarding feeling if you can save a run with a clutch move.

The only meters that matter for healing are the health bars.

2 Likes

I’m actually doing OK. I cleared 750 MR and I’ve been doing 45-60k HPS healing on serious mythic encounters. I just gotta stick with what i’m good at and not worry about the meta.

1 Like

A well geared paladin does around 30k hps overall, healer does ~60k (these numbers are subjective based on my experience)
BDK’s hps is just a number for show, they move mitigated dmg into healing number. There is no healer can beat BDK’s hps in m+

1 Like

There’s lots of reasons to play healer right now, just not resto druid. We have been nerfed into the ground and as the logs come out for the new raid… we are on the bottom.

They will eventually fix resto druid, but it’s going to take a long time.

2 Likes

i dont compete with tanks for hps. as long as theyre staying alive and not giving me a hard time in the process their hps could be 5k or 300k for all i care

1 Like

Its not too late to reroll if your unhappy !

The heroic dunegons will drop Adventurer gear you can upgrade to 411. You will get a champion piece from the weekly quest.

Thats kind of what seasons are all about. A reset for everyone.

You should outheal the tank, unless you’re doing trivial content.

Also, fun is a pretty good reason to play something. If you aren’t enjoying it, try something else.

While tanks do alot of healing, it is generally only to themselves. The dps are going to need the healer, especially in higher key levels.

This. The better the group ad a whole, the lower your HPS will be.

Granted I’m only tanking 14s right now (still below 410 ilvl), but good groups I out heal the healer by 10-20 million. But it’s mostly healing to myself. And I come in 2nd as most healed by the healer (usually himself or THAT one DPS) who takes more heals than me.

Good group will give you lower numbers :slight_smile:

Can you imagine the cring from the DPS specs if the healers were out DPSing them… But yet, Healers are supposed to be ok with being crap at their job.

5 Likes

I have healed full time up to Legion and Tanked full time since BFA. Although the game is very different I will give you one piece of advise from a Healer POV that remains universal. It is not all on you. You cannot and will not save a run if your Tank isn’t using CD’s and properly positioning mobs and your DPS stands in frontal’s and ground effects. If no one dies and the Raid/M+ boss goes down, mission accomplished.

During CD’s I absolutely blow the healing (and sometimes dps) meter away for about 30 secs. I was just in a failed run this weekend with an obvious new healer and they kept talking about the hps he had to constantly put out each pull and how the dps need to group up more etc. I checked his healing and 48% of his healing was on himself and when I checked damaged received he was #1 on the list from standing in frontal’s, cleaves and ground effects. I spent 3 battle rez’s on him during the 2nd boss of VP before the group dissolved. I politely gave him a few tips without coming across as scolding him and I hope that he learned from it, if not, he eventually will or he will stop healing.

Don’t get too caught up in healing/damage meters ranks. They are there to review spell usage and performance. No extra gear, io score or achievement will come from a meter log.

1 Like

Honestly, a Prot Pally is an excellent pairing for a resto druid. We’re built around HoTs ticking up with cycling waves of intensity, but having someone else to drop large heals really compliments us well. Still, when things get real, my raw healing is much higher than the tank… but I appreciate them filling in the gaps.

In raids I find myself ranging from borderline useless when damage is low, since our Holy Paladin and Mistweaver Monk tend to heal people up before my HoTs get any meaningful value… but when damage is heavy and I’m not doing like 70% overhealing then I’m much more effective.

If you don’t have a lot to do, you might need some harder content. You shouldn’t really have to worry about the tank too much outside of specific scenarios. Most of the damage you will heal is unavoidable non-tank damage that applies to your group.

This is a very good point. I never thought about it this way but it makes sense.

Blood DKs self healing is insane, generally because of their design, you’ll think they about to die the BAM they heal themselves to full, they the true definition of a yo-yo tank, Prot Pallies aswell.

But like people posted above, Healers healing generally in lower keys is higher generally because player mistakes, once in higher keys those mistakes happen less your more so there to just go through bosses Healing checks, 90% of the bosses especially in Keys will do unavoidable damage, that’s your time to shine.

Generally in Trash Packs, you just dps as normal, chuck a few off heals and just be aware incase someone steps in something or gets hit by something, usually due to missing a interrupt or cc.

Also depending how good your Tank is sometimes you rarely heal them at all directly, they more so get cleaved heal by your AoE or throw an external on them for some mechanics I think Resto Druids is Iron Bark, your more so their to baby sit the DPS.

Guardian druid isn’t the best, but you’d be surprised how much group healing and DPS a good one does. They’re perfectly capable this patch and just a small buff away from OP in my opinion.

bro the second place on raider io its a druid we are not nerfed to the ground…

Resto druid main here, it sounds like you’re playing in rather easy content at first blush.

Though while my tanks are certainly beefier than the past in terms of healing, the damage incoming is higher on the other four slots, which has definitely made healing feel more engaging for me. At least up to the 17/18 key range

Idk man there are several pulls and fights in m+ I’m pulling 115k hps just to keep everyone alive. Healing to me especially as resto druid has been a ton of fun. In dungeons and in raid I have consistently broke the 100k marker. I’m a averaging more heals than I did in s1. It seems to me like you probably just don’t enjoy the role. KSM is a good goal but I can tell you 18-20 ATM is where all the damage where healers are NEEDED is at. I promise you that you need a healer in these dungeons.

I agree. I swapped from Resto/Boom to bear/cat and I’m having the time of my life :rofl: bear is pretty solid, even for someone just picking it up, not OP, but definitely nothing to snuff at.