HC limited dungeon runs, help me understand

Most of the hardcore ruleset I understand, but one that crops up occasionally is the idea that dungeons should be limited to one run, one per week, etc.

I can definitely understand limiting dungeons to a level range, but why limit them at all?
Wow is still an MMO, and this removes a large part of the multiplayer aspect from the game.

Further, level appropriate dungeons are the highest risk in the game! DC’s accidental aggro, threat mistakes, and the fact that you have to trust four other people.

I had planned to roll a warrior with the sole purpose of tanking. I would find like minded individuals and tank level appropriate dungeons all while forming bonds with people while leveling. To me, this is much more appealing, thrilling, and rewarding then just killing green mobs and doing green quests all day.

So someone explain it to me if they could. Why limit dungeon runs beyond it being a level appropriate challenge?

2 Likes

And it’s also still a RPG. If I only have one life when I die then VanCleef has one life when I kill him.

8 Likes

on the contrary, it enhances it by forcing more people out into the world
we don’t want WoW to be an instance waiting room. we want it to be a world.

3 Likes

also good point. :expressionless:

1 Like

Oh! I guess that makes more sense. That seems more role play then hardcore, but at least I get it now. I suppose I don’t think about mobs that way because they’re constantly respawning. Hm. I still think that’s too much role play however and doesn’t need to be in hardcore based on that alone.

Sure. But you have to be in the world at several parts regardless. There’s no teleportation to dungeons. You have to gather the quests for dungeons outside of them. And if you can’t go into a dungeon anymore when the last boss is green, then you’re going to have to quest in between dungeons.

Also, there will be PLENTY of people who do not do dungeons. Its just a much higher risk then I’m sure a lot of people will be willing to risk.

I appreciate about hearing the reasons why, despite me not necessarily agreeing with them.

3 Likes

Whatever answers you get to this, it’s ultimately design decisions from the addon authors. From what I understand, the rules have been set up to allow for some randomness and luck to play a part (i.e. you may get really lucky with loot drops on the 1 run you are able to do for a particular dungeon, but you may not! Of course you can be selective about group composition to ensure access to the loot you want if it does drop).

It is also my understanding that the rules are intended to prevent grouping for the purposes of cheesing the system, by say boosting, or other sorts of means. Whether there are side-effects (unintended consequences) of such rulesets, time and many people looking for them tend to show us.

For sure a lot of people would prefer to dungeon spam with a group of people to level, rather than solo-quest. I tend to be one of those people, too.

I do agree with this 100%. Regular classic is ruined right now by higher levels running people through lower level dungeons. You can’t get an actual group together. If the dungeon had a level limit, I think this would solve the problem without the need to limit dungeon runs to one time.

It really depends on what “the problem” is.

Does it matter if someone gets boosted to max level? Does it matter if they get handed gear?

1 Like

The dungeon limit rule is simply there to ensures you also go out and do things in the open world instead of spamming dungeons and ignore open world activities.

Because they want you in the open world…not spamming dungeons over and over…and over. Thats basically it in a nutshell.

I think it does. One of the appeals of hard core is making a warcraft server that is always similar to a fresh server. See the calls for fresh on the forums all the time? That’s because the experience of having to level with people around your level changes the entire game. When you can get bags, weapons, and quests completed with someone running you through them, you’re just getting boosted.

Hardcore isn’t about making things unfun or difficult, “Just because”. Its about creating an environment where its fun to utilize your resources as you get them. To earn every bit of progress you make opposed to relying on others for it. If people want to get boosted, that’s what the base realms are for.

Again, I don’t see dungeons as preventing you from being in the world.

Because people will spam dungeons over and over to level. And have people Power Level them :slight_smile: Dude, we all know this! Unless the dungeons are locked by Blizz only to certain level ranges to enter!

This means no more high level mages doing PL or farming lower level materials etc lol!

dungeon spam is easier than solo leveling out in the world. this is just an objective fact :expressionless:

However group levelling in the world is far easier then both of those and quicker.

How so? You can still group in the open world, and if you’re smart, you just farm greens. How is that harder than relying on four others not to mess up? As a tank, if the healer DC’s or the group over pulls, I have the hardest time getting away. I did a lot of dungeon runs on classic when it was fresh, and I can’t tell you the number of times a DC happened or a DPS pulled an extra patrol. Deadmines alone is a major test for players and I consider getting past that the first big hurdle.

Especially as you get higher like Sunken Temple, there are some mobs that can wreck your entire group if you’re not careful. How is managing a group of elites that have a fear and sleep CC easier than grinding on greens in the open world? You think handling the dark Iron dwarves that lay mine traps in Gnomeregan is easy?

Maybe you’re comparing to retail or thinking you have heirloom gear or higher levels carrying you through. There is nothing harder in classic then doing level appropriate dungeons with people in leveling gear, period.

1 Like

It sure is.

Massively - Large world with many areas to explore
Multiplayer - Many other players will be encountered who may choose to play together
Online - Requires you to be online while playing

How so, you’ll still encounter many other players. You’ll still interact with many players. Even with only one shot at a dungeon. HC is still an MMO, it’s just a different mode.

It does matter if someone is handed gear because they are competing for the same limited resources and mobs as other non boosted, non twinked players. If I am having to carefully plan out an attack so I can reach an herb or mineral node and some IGOTSBOOSTED warrior rolls in and grabs it because they have 3x the health, it matters.

1 Like

Yeah, I suppose this is somewhat subjective in that, if it matters to you, then it matters.

I realize with these types of conversations that I’m likely not really the type of player that HC is aimed towards, as those things don’t really matter to me, but at the same time, I’m not super excited for HC servers or to get a HC Addons using character to 60 before they launch.

Sure, but with dungeon restrictions it removes an aspect of multiplayer within it. Now there can be good reasons to do so. For example, I agree that you shouldn’t be able to trade to lower level players, or party with a player a few levels above you. The restriction has a purpose of keeping the challenge of the game intact without removing the social aspect.

That’s where I don’t see a need to limit the dungeons to one run. As long as there is a level limit on dungeons to keep them challenging, let people run as much as they would like. That’s a very strong multiplayer aspect that’s also the most challenging leveling content of the game. My fondest memories of Classic are the dungeon runs and the people I’ve met along the way. Add in the challenge of one death and you die, and I expect it to be one of the least artificially hardest things you can do in classic.

2 Likes

no way dude, nothing anyone else does can possibly affect you in an MMO. we’re all like, individuals man :roll_eyes:

1 Like