Having "missed out" is ruining the game for me

Probably because it is Sunday, DDOS attacks are happening, so people troll the forums for funsies?

1 Like

If my unobtainable items were made available again, I’d probably just quit on the spot lol.

The sunken cost and the memories I’ve made getting those items are largely why I still play.

I don’t chase the current carrots, the old carrots are all I have to show off, really.

“The memories I made getting those items …”

Except if someone logged in and got that item right now … your memory doesn’t change. What you did to get that item then … doesn’t change. NOTHING about your attachment to that item should change.

And if you’re one of those really special snowflakes that really does qualify the value of your life based on doo-dads acquired in a video game, then there’s good news!!! If you ID someone and wonder if they’re “cool like you” or just some scrub who picked up something off the BMAH, etc … the ACHIEVEMENT SYSTEM already tracks that info!!!

If you REALLY want to know if someone “put in the work”, you can see when their Achv is timestamped. That proves if “they were there!”, or they just bought their way into glory.

There is NO REASON to lock things out in this game. Not with the Achv system.

After 5 years, BRING IT ALL BACK.

5 Likes

and yet… your account was clearly quite active during BFA.

sunday thread is sunday thread.

YOU are the one who selects your posting character.

…and if you’ve been away as long as you want to pretend you have, none of your characters would have a posting history.

7 Likes

I just think, if you’re bringing back all the limited-time stuff to claw back some people, it’s gonna push more of the old-school people away that earned those things.

You think they’re gonna wanna stay if everyone else has the same stuff they do? No, lol.

Skins and cosmetics matter, and they drive people to do stuff. Same as in any other game. OW had some time-limited cosmetics, and if they handed those out, it would piss off the old people who got them.

M+ wouldn’t have engagement if people didn’t chase the mounts. Same deal with the Mage Tower back in the day.

Seasonal content/FOMO is ultimately how this game has operated for years. Not saying it’s a good system, but it’s what we’ve had to years.

They started doing this grandfathering system anyway, around Cataclysm, when the game started to dip in population. Everything that was removed when they reworked the world remained unobtainable, until recently.

I just believe handing everything out that was a limited-time reward back in the day, is just gonna harm more than it’s gonna help.

I don’t have a crystal ball so I don’t know this for sure, but I for sure won’t wanna keep playing WoW if all my limited-edition stuff just wasn’t that anymore. Do you think it would bring people back?

I think the lore is largely why people quit, not the items lol.

Besides, ones you get that thing you wanted because it was ONCE a limited-edition thing, it’ll feel hollow. It’s no longer a limited thing, it doesn’t carry the same weight as being valuable as it was when you couldn’t get it. People can, and will, still get it, so it’s not ‘rare’ anymore.

And people ultimately want what is rare so they can flex.

Granted, if this game really is dying, then I guess I don’t really care, take it all.

If it’s alive, I do care and don’t want my items taken away.

3 Likes

This thread inspired me to make a thread Ive been meaning to for awhile,

I hope it conveys the hopes of the people here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok what one is it? You have not been here since the end of Cata or…?

1 Like

This isn’t really true. You can see people’s mounts, mogs, pets, etc. Then look up how to get them and find out that they can’t be gotten anymore.

I do think they are trying to do away with some of that at least though. By giving away previous promotional things.

1 Like

seems like people need to wait for classic to get up to the expansion which has the stuff they want.
what’s the point in making retail go backwards?

account shows a bunch of activity in 2018.
you should be very well aware by now, that people here like to tell porkies :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Stuff like “Faceless One” or Torghast or the MoP challenge mode achieves should get the mage tower treatment. Just scale down to a set item level and keep it the same difficulty forever. Deleting good content is just silly.

4 Likes

Whatever you do, because you have chronic FOMO, never start playing gacha games. Now that would dive you nuts.

What you won’t see the “don’t bring it back” crowd do is refute the fact about the Achv system. Or the other arguments that destroy their claims. They just want to bury their head in the sand, hold onto their toys, and cling to their wrong points of view.

We’ve already seen the return of some EXCEPTIONALLY rare items in the last 6 months (TCG items, the old D3 promo horse, etc) and did people QUIT?

ROFL OF COURSE NOT!!! This is the most absurd claim thrown around in this argument. No one is QUITTING because their xmog is chosen by 3 more people. lol

1> If you REALLY have to prove “you’re special” and/or “you were THERE!”, the Achv system already does that.

2> If you REALLY have to “show off” that you got that thing X number of years ago, that thing that no one else can have anymore … then be definition you’re not using/never going to use anything current. You’re encouraging stagnation in the game. Lack of design. Lack of creativity. Lack of CONTENT. Why make new? You already have the thing you’ll wear forever… because you’re justSOSPECIAL!!!

And as I always say: it’s ok to have goals, reach those goals, and have a time to show off what you did! This is a GOOD thing!

But after 5 years?? Move on. If that 5 year old thing is something that a new player really wants to enjoy, let them. If you can’t find something NEW to chase, to set a NEW goal, and keep striving for better things… then the game has FAILED. You or the Developers are being given a reason to just DO NOTHING. And that’s not good for the game.

After 5 years, bring it all back. Don’t just throw it on the BMAH. But do something to get it back in the game in a meaningful manner.

6 Likes

The concept of not being around, or not putting in the effort if you were, for something seems so foreign to people these days.

Some things are never coming back no matter how hard you kick or scream, demand or feel entitled to them. :dracthyr_shrug:

Philosophically they try to find ways to bring back unavailable cosmetics that cycled out and can’t be obtained anymore. Cosmetic options are cool, and there’s a short-short list of things that were setup to be permanently exclusive accomplishments - original Challenge Mode weapons and armor have deliberately been kept exclusive.

3 Likes

But those two things specifically, had different gear/abilities we no longer have. Scaling Torghast down w/o all the anima powers and our SL legendaries, is not the same experience. It will either be stupid easy or incredibly hard (probably the latter) if Blizzard were to scale it down to try and mimic the gear/abilities of the time.

On second thought, I’m sure anima powers are still there. Assuming SL leggos still work in SL, this could be a thing. But then you have to think about all the players who didn’t play SL and would need legendaries, and how difficult it would be to acquire them and have the crafting done, etc.

Now for HVs – unless they re-enable corruptions and their consequences, you can’t just scale down the instances. A large part of the “difficulty” of soloing 5-mask HVs were the corruption effects you had to deal with. Now that corruptions are disabled, a huge part of the difficulty of that is gone forever, and with it goes the “shiny” of that title.

Figures. I hate when people straight up lie like that.

Lol, this is literally a problem that Blizzard created.

Imagine you get this season’s M+ mount, you’re enjoying it so much, that you make it your permanent mount.

But then, Brocknor comes along, in all his furious orc rage (he even uses caps a lot), tells you that what you’re doing is wrong and is creating stagnation.

No, you MUST engage and USE the bloated amount of NEW mounts continually being produced, forever and ever and ever and ever.

New only!

No old special stuff is allowed, and it must be torn away! How dare you have something special! /tableflip

And by your own admission, having that point is view is WRONG lol.

It’s a game, my man. Let people have their special pixels, it’s something they are proud of and you’re trying to take it away, for reasons? Just so you can have it?

“I don’t want them to be proud” is the takeaway I’m getting here.

6 Likes

Exactly, disabling corruption gear inside BFA instances was a mistake. I don’t see the value in spending all of that time to develop a good solo experience to just delete it the next expansion.

Covenants are enabled in SL and disabled everywhere else.

Tier gear works everywhere but inside Mage Tower instances.

Proof of concept is already in the game.

You don’t think new players would complain it’ll “take them months” to gain all the corruptions and level their cloaks for the benefits, and max out the ability tree for the buffs, to collect coalescing visions + corrupted mementos + echoes of nyalotha and get all their HoA essences and level up their necks etc, before even attempting 5-mask HVs?

Or you just want devs to scale it down to faceroll status and let everyone get the title? I don’t think the title would be as meaningful if this happened, even for those new players who feel they missed out now.

1 Like

That isn’t what I said.

What I said was, you shouldn’t make it so other people can’t have access to the old stuff.

You’re just arguing semantics and being pedantic. Which is all I expect from the “yoU cnat HaVE My toYS!!!111” crowd.

And I notice you didn’t refute the Achv System, either. Which is the real arbiter in this discussion. And it’s why no one every tries to refute it. Because you can’t.

gg

1 Like