Having a hard time deciding between druid/shaman

I really like the idea of a hybrid class, being able to do damage and heal as well. That being said, I don’t want to be full resto. I’d probably like to offtank if I go druid, unsure about shaman (probably whichever spec has a better chance in wpvp).
Which class will get me into raids faster? Actually, for those of you that already picked druid or shaman, what made you pick that class? I think that’s a better question to ask, it’s always nice to read what people like about their class.

1 Like

Every class will get into raids. Don’t base it off that alone. To answer your question at the end though, I’m choosing Druid as my first alt because I love the uniqueness and challenge of building a feral tank at end game.

1 Like

Don’t waste your time with other classes, be a Hunter, We’re the bestest!

Your best bet to get into raids is as a healer and shamans are considered superior healers. So the simple answer is shaman.

But if you work at your gear and find a sympathetic guild, you could find a druid spot as a bear/resto hybrid which will allow you to off-tank or heal based on a gear swap.

If do you find a guild that lets you raid full-time as moonkin, elemental or enhancement, you will most likely be stuck in MC and Ony for a long time.

I mean druid has stealth and speed, two of the most important things in wPvP.

Shaman has a better aoe heal, which is also great in grouped wPvP.

Shaman is also the best offensive healer, especially when paired with melee. WW + purge + warrior buddy = win.

Personally still torn between the two. Shaman has the better 1v2 potential as well.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard Elemental/Enhancement and kitty/moonkin are memespecs at 60 raiding. Well other than Feral which I’ve heard can do ok if you farm the manual crowd pummeler.

There will be a need for more Shamans per raid. However, there will also be more players choosing Shaman than Druid.

If you are confident you can be the Druid in your raid, Druid is the better choice. If you are happy being one of many Shamans in your raid, Shaman is better.

Going Alliance. No Shamans for me, so that decision doesn’t have to cross my mind.

On the Alliance side, though, I’m going to be leveling and gearing one of each healer. My main will be Druid because I enjoy its playstyle outside of raids the most.

1 Like

Druid is probably more fun solo, Shamans are melee’s wet dreams.

Feral is ok without MCP, it is top 3ish with it.

The problem is you can play rouge and only have to put in 1/10th of the effort and be better.

I feel like this would be a fun time to go shaman, especially if you’re down to really get in there and learn a class that’s always been iconic but has also changed a lot.

There’s going to be a lot of melee (especially fury warriors), and you can really help the group in variety of ways, from buffs and debuffs (various totems), to heals, resurrection; things that are really appealing to groups/raids.

I think if you’re a good/decently-good shaman that has a good mind for group/supportive play, you’ll find that most players will be pretty jazzed to group with you ("oh yes here’s that shaman, I’ll get that totem buff I really like")

Druids had that some with Innervate and some other things, but it seemed like they had a lesser reputation for wide group affinity or attractiveness than shamans. They had that “all jack, no master” stigma, so really good druids seemed to embrace that challenge of proving their worth, that they’re not just a poor-man’s priest/warrior/rogue/mage.

1 Like

Druid all the way

Here’s why I liked shaman back in Vanilla (and BC). And more specifically elemental shaman. They were a true hybrid support spec. This means you will do primarily damage and you will be able to heal, but you will not be the best at both in terms of min/max. There were many who did not understand the usefulness of shaman because they thought too much in terms of min/max, saw that the DPS of an elemental shaman was less than say a mage, and so thought they weren’t as great.

But they had a flexibility that other classes did not. They supported the rest of the group and made them look better with their totems and added damage and heals. To be a great shaman, you needed to be able to switch to what was needed whether it be changing/dropping the right totems as needed in fights, DPSing more, pulling a mob to save another player, healing when there was trouble in that department. Even occasionally turning to melee for just a second. And be good at kiting. You had to be clever with the placement of your totems, especially the fire ones, so they didn’t break CC.

I loved it. And the people I played with loved it. And that’s why I’m happy to play classic. Because shaman lost that swiss army knife flexibility over the course of time and why I could never finish an expac after Cataclysm. I found being nothing but a lavaburst/lightning bolt generator boring and missed all my totem choices.

IF things follow as they did back in Vanilla, elementals may be more in demand than enhancement in raids because they’re already spellcast oriented and might be asked turn to healing on certain fights. But it was nice to have at least one each of enhancement and elemental in the mix to be able to drop totems both in melee and in range. Rest of the shaman (in our case 3) were resto. Raided into MC, BWL, ONY, ZG, AQ as elemental and we did fine. As for PvP, enhancement is usually the better choice, but it doesn’t mean elemental can’t do a decent job.

Can’t really say much about druid, sadly. I never really got into them.

1 Like

um, lol?

Resto Shaman have 7-8 spots guaranteed in a raid,
Resto Druids have 1 spot guaranteed

Any other spec or split spec of those 2 classes has 0 spots guaranteed

lol harsh probably.

Just go Resto though. You can pvp with both as long as you drop points into Resto.

Ele/Resto - Shaman
Heavy Resto with some Feral - Druid

This is all true, but feral doesn’t need much in the way of raid drops

From class population polls, it seems as though shamans could be as popular as warriors. They’re going to be commonplace, far more so than druids.

Yep, which is what I said.

We have reached consensus.

Shaman.

Thank me later.

I’ve mained shaman before and I plan to do it again. By far my favorite class, both in terms of fantasy and play style. Shaman burst is just so much fun, especially while leveling. I don’t care how mana inefficient it is, I will Earth Shock everything in sight!

1 Like