Have classes ever been worse then they are now?

In the past other than a few outliers it was my class does not do this good enough or the damage needs fixed, people used to make fun of classes if they seemed too simple, (Barrage mage one button death punch or frost with a steering wheel), been here a long time and a lot of complaints but never so many my class is just not fun to play anymore on this scale.

*hell you know it’s bad when classes that are doing good damage even are saying it’s not fun to play.

1 Like

Although fun for warlocks, when their fear could be chain cast on players endlessly, that was pretty un fun for other players :wink:

Bear tanking in early WoW history was a joke, warrior tanking was hands-down too strong to leave room for it.

Much of early WoW history was with healers unable to solo quest and level up. That sucked!

And on and on, there have been ongoing improvements over the years to many things. and, of course, many steps back. I think the best class design was MoP and they haven’t been able to match that since.

Every spec in the game is viable for 95%+ of the playerbase. That could not be said for expansions past.

2 Likes

I mean I’ve played all 3 warlock specs, all 3 hunter specs, and both DH specs this expansion and none of them feel the same. Weird. Must be doing something wrong I guess.

1 Like

Rogue feels so mundane now -__- Feels like all classes got a casual-diablo-3 shine and buff (or debuff).

Well, whatever it is, the game has lost 75-80% of its subs since Wrath. But there is no doubt player agency, and customization has been stripped down to the frame in the name of balance, and they still can’t balance it.

In an RPG, utility, class flavor, customization shouldn’t be flushed down the drain over theoretical sims and outliers. Everything from fun secondary stats, to enchants, to sockets, stat sticks, talents, idols, glyphs…all things that added depth have been cut as homogenization guts the experience.

4 Likes

What does that even mean? The games motto used to be “Easy to learn, difficult to master “, do you mean that classes are so simple and dumbed down that 95% of the player base can handle it?

I don’t need something so dumbed down that you can’t separate your results through skill level.

The argument constantly pushed around is that the gap between top specs and bottom specs is “too high” in throughput. All specs are within about 10% of each other with a FEW outliers. People fixate too hard on the numbers when I can guarentee GD is full of green parsers that won’t see max results anyway. People complaining about how unplayable guardian druid or how awful enh shaman is when they look at the chart on warcraft logs and see things at the bottom.

There ALWAYS has to be a “bottom” and 95%+ of the playerbase does not play at a level that any actual difference between throughput matters. Guardian Druids have timed runs for like 16s but timmy on the forums says that the spec is unplayable in 7s or whatever. There was a post on Wowhead about “meta classes” like last week. Worth the read. Long story short: play whatever you want. Doesnt matter until you are like 6/9 M or like 15 keys which as I said before, less than 5% of the playerbase probably participates in.

True statement. Was a holy paladin in Vanilla and the beginning of TBC, until I made this character.

Best response I’ve seen on this issue.

I don’t think they’re terrible. Maybe I’m just not much of a gamer anymore, but I find the elegant simplicity that some of the classes have kinda nice actually, especially since they added all those new shiny animations and spell effects.

What I do think is the worst it’s ever been is the storytelling and the characters. We have a parody of a super villain, a parody of a super hero, and if things weren’t Disney enough, there’s even a princess going behind her “stuck in his ways” father to try and save her people.

It’s insulting and we deserve better.

I had a Mage rage I rolled on a helm with spirit as a healer in Naxx. She was the GF of an officer too. I ended up with the helm and left the guild a couple days later become of that useless drama.

1 Like

I lost a couple healer trinkets to mages back then. I don’t miss stuff like that, crappy memories like you described tend to stick with you.

1 Like

I rolled my Druid in 2005 and I am loving both Balance and Resto specs more than ever before. After more than a decade of being a helpless victim to any Rogue who looked in my direction (as a Moonkin), I am finally getting my revenge. In dungeons, Resto feels complete and fun to play.

1 Like

it is possible that i am misremembering vanilla wow… but i could have sworn that Paladins didn’t become a playable class until the launch of BC… am I that old that i can’t remember things correctly (did a google search, but results offered varying answers). I mean i guess i should mention that it was faction specific…but when did alliance get them as a playable class?

It means that if you are good at any spec, you can participate in any content. Not that every spec is easy to learn.

For example. In Classic if you wanted to tank…you were either a prot warrior or prot warrior.

Today, you can participate in 95% of all content using any tank spec. They are all viable.

Its not a comment about skill level. its a comment about spec viability.

Classes feel pretty much the same to me as they have always felt.

What feels different is the lame gear where all you do is look for exactly the same traits on all three azerite items of gear and feel massively disappointed when you gear doesn’t have those traits. None of your other gear has anything but secondary stats, so you just try to get those stats. You have nothing to look forward to but grinding the same content for additional azerite items that have the traits you looking for repeating the process ad infinitum. It’s a pretty bad gear system.

There isn’t any story to the gear. It randomly changes even when it has exactly the same name. I keep wondering what person thought this was a good way to gear. What a rotten idea.

Unless your group was good at the game, and you used fury or feral to tank instead.