Have classes ever been worse then they are now?

They have never been worse imo all feel incredibly dull and boring. A gigantic class overhaul is needed.

33 Likes

For about 5 minutes in Wrath they decided mages and warlocks needed spirit on their gear for bigger spell damage.

This meant for 5 minutes discipline priests had competition for +spirit gear. It was anarchy.

Spirit doesn’t even exist anymore.

6 Likes

Classic wow

23 Likes

Paladins used to be all around horrible except for their holy spec.

6 Likes

Another vote for vanilla.

I remember trying to level a paladin in BC x_x No crusader strike, no templars verdict or divine storm, having to reseal after every judgement

7 Likes

Nope, not even close

5 Likes

Unpopular opinion: classic was the worst.

Half the spells were literally useless or so niche they had no point outside of flavor. Some specs and setups were so unviable you couldn’t even grind mobs very well.

Classic was fun for its imperfect beauty and its world. However gameplay wise?

Here is an example of frost mage raiding.

1. Do you need to decurse or buff? If no proceed to step 2.
  2. Frosbolt until threat to high then proceed to step 3.
    3)AFK until threat is lower to repeat step 2 or step 1 if needed.

Much excite, very engage.

21 Likes

It was painful. On the flipside of that shaman were amazing in vanilla. Nowadays they pretty much aren’t.

3 Likes

We pretty much state it’s the worst it’s ever been every expansion.

I think we’d be better off focusing on what’s working, what isn’t, and what we’d like to see changed.

8 Likes

Since they reverted most of the gcd changes I like most of the classes that I play.

Except outlaw rogue. They need to revert it back to pre-Legion.

1 Like

Not quite true. It is certainly fair to say people complain every expac about classes. However, I’ve never seen so many people actually give up on the game over it. And usually it has been just one or two classes mostly out of whack. This time the problems are much broader.

10 Likes

All around this is their low point. There’s always some classes that are overpowered but the difference between even legion is drastic. All they needed to do was tone down aoe a bit and KEEP artifact abilties but they managed to screw up a lot of classes.

7 Likes

I just wish classes had more flavor spells. Dampen magic, paladin auras and seals, etc. The toolkits are all extremely small. It’s an mmo not a dungeon crawler.

7 Likes

I remember spirit now that you mention it but completely forget what it does lol

I played in Vanilla and remember the utter joke Survival Hunter was

Their talents do something at the moment and aren’t a terrible melee DoT that is out damaged by Serpent Sting. As long as we don’t get back to vanilla Survival, I’m fine.

1 Like

I don’t think this is true anymore. All engaging behavior was shifted to encounters (which ultimately allows for more creativity). There are still varied difficulties for classes, but the tougher specs often underperform. So we have people playing easy mode top dps specs and complaining that the game is dumbed down.

Either way, I think the above quote was once correct, but is no longer.

1 Like

my pally liked to wear cloth piece for the extra spirit stats! it was quite needed it for the mana/5 if i were planning on spamming that flash of light!

2 Likes

That can also mean that it is going down hill because it is possible that each expansion is worse than the one before it.

I personally think that it has been going down hill since Wrath. Maybe MoP was okay but definitely since then.

3 Likes

You play a Demon Hunter

What evidence that isn’t anecdotal at best, leads you to believe that class design is the main reason people are leaving? You cannot use these forums, which are simply filled with people who complain, as evidence… only a small percentage of all players visit and post in the forums and only a small percentage of all players have youtube channels where they can complain.

I think however it is fair to say that lots of people have left the game since launch of BfA… but the reasons are as varied as they are valid for each person. I’ve had a few friends quit because they didn’t want to deal with another long, drawn out, grind to get flying unlocked… others because they feel leveling professions is much more complicated than it has to be (leveling gated behind dungeon runs)…

I think every expansion people say the same three tired things…

1. The game is dying.
  2. Class design is the worst its ever been.
  3. Things were so much better in (insert previous expansion name here)
2 Likes