Has the skill factor been absent?

Ive done PVP a long darn time, first on this, then on my DK, starting it back on this, I feel its been missing a good bit since later WOD days, I dunno about prior to that as I went missing from between 2011-2016 with very sporadic returns.

Dont kill the messenger, but it seems skill is missing when most classes are bent on doing the same rotations and limited skill sets compared to 10 years ago. Its become alot more about gear now instead of both skill and gear. It seems ranged classes are more powerful than ever in PVP as well, so many classes now have so much healing abilities without healers or escape abilities its not even funny.

thoughts?

Yes and no. Good players are still around and they will absolutely annihilate you. However, with just the way the game has been designed regarding roles and classes, skill factor is also absent at times.

This is most noticeable in BGs where healers don’t die, and ranged just get to turret. And there are many aspects of “bad play” as well as just game design allowing lack of skill. Bad play comes into the picture where healers don’t get jumped on by everyone at once and when said healers don’t get peels. However, there is also the aspect of game design where healers are designed to not die, so in basically double roleing as a tank and a healer, healers allow for ranged to get away with more than they ought to. And more often than not said ranged can’t hold their own in a fight head to head even though they have really strong tools. Hell, I have an easier and faster time solo killing tanks than I do healers (Ripping bears in half is my favorite. Gotta show them that best bear is panda).

It also doesn’t help that the game is more or less designed to allow ranged to cast. After all it’s why ints have a CD, and there is no bonus to kicking properly, and why multiple spell schools exist. Which isn’t to say I want ints to have no CD. If anything I’d rather a good interrupt be rewarded with say “X seconds off the CD of your next kick.” Honestly, the above change would be real nice for people that can consistently land kicks. It would go a long way to separating the chaff from the real heroes of ranged/casters, the casters that went to juke school.

Yes, but a lot of it is made worse by corruptions.

Yea… it’s messed up how classes with no heal specs can outheal hybrids. /eyes Locks, DHs, DKs, and Fury Wars

1 Like

The game is just not in a health state man, if blizz would take the time to put back in weaknesses into the classes it would be better. The game right now has a lots of problem spots with not a lot of easy fixes for blizz to put in. All we can do is that hope that blizz changes how they think about classes and gearing.

people act like “back in the good old days” you had to press 45 different buttons and have super amazing reaction times and 5 million IQ just to be good.

lmfao.

its always been a straight forward game.

get over it dude.

prove to me that this game ever in its lifetime required a lot of buttons, and big brain rotation altercations just do maximize dps/heals?

1 Like

I miss warriors having stance dancing being an important part of their gameplay to do well in pvp, but besides that some stuff is just straight up broken, alot of it stemming from corruptions.

1 Like

One of my friends switched from rshaman to hpali this patch.

He can’t believe how much easier the game is.

1 Like

It did by the time we got to WOTLK.

Blizzard to going the direction of making WOW PC-Mobile-Console hybrid. They are gradually reducing the amount of buttons required for each class, to be like ret paladins and DHs.

That said, skill requirements are definitely going to be taking a nose dive…

If they bought it console they could get alot more subs.

big part of the sub drop off aside from the blizz/activision merger was altering the game too much, and no one cared enough for a PC build past 2014 or 2015 with the builds they had at that time was already 7-8 years old.

Revenue streams are everything.

With a mobile and console hybrid system, they can basically become 5 games instead of 2.

1. Wow
  2. Wow Classic
  3. Wow - quick 5 man mobile mode
  4. Wow - console retail
  5. Wow - Pet battles mobile game

Because back in those days there was a lot more to watch out for and more buttons to press.

Look at ret
We went from a support/dps
to mainly an immobile dps that happens to throw out a blessing every 30/couple mins.
A lot of our old cc has been moved to talents and our healing abilities have been pruned.

Yeah even fellow paladins in any BG I see has been basically another body just there, reminds me of back when we had healer priest and they were an easy target, thats Paladins today.

yep … a lot of complaints about Fire Mages and their Gpys, yet easily forget about how broken Frost Mages were back in MoP with Ice Lance into Deep Freeze (stun)

Every class pretty much had a 2-3 button rotation and burst

except they opened pandora’s box by removing the weaknesses. now if they try to back peddle they will get complaints from the large general player base for “Nerfs”. There is simply not enough incentive for blizzard to care.

…

I would actually play it.

That’s what hurts me most.

I’m up to about 1100ish unique pets.

1 Like