[H-RP] <The Kodohorn Tribe>: Sit, Smoke, Share

Part 5

It had taken her the rest of the day to reach the edge of the jungle where a river separated her from the rocky, hilly inclines of the mountains above. As she surveyed the river for places to cross, the rumbling thunder of the storm grew louder. More disconcerting was that she still couldn’t see signs of lightning or even ominous clouds, nor had the air pressure changed. It was the same feeling she got when she knew something terrible was about to happen, but she had no idea what the terrible thing was. It kept her shoulders and body tensed, ready to fight whatever dangers were headed her way.

The sky, too, had grown darker, her river search done under what she’d have thought was an evening haze—the sky still stealing pieces of light from the sun, but the sun no longer present.

Beyond, a brewing storm and mountains; before her, a river that looked easier to cross than she suspected it truly was. The waters above were almost tranquil, though she caught, now and again, the ripples and eddies of currents brought about by rocks and deeper depths. The water was clouded, silt and earth collected from somewhere further up its winding banks. She’d entertained the idea of fishing, but with night setting in (albeit without stars or moons) and the sound of the ever-impending storm, she searched now for somewhere to make camp, certain that if she stayed in the jungle or near the river she’d be flooded out when the rains came.

As the last vestiges of an unseen sun slipped from the sky, she finally found her crossing. Here the river rippled over and around a bar made of smoothed stones. The crossing was a natural bend in the river where rock and other debris likely piled up during the stormy season, hence the easy crossing there now in what reminded her of the last days of summer.

Picking her way across the stones with care, she tested each hoofstep before placing her full weight on it. Even an easy crossing could be hazardous if you were incautious going over, and even seemingly solid ground could prove otherwise within the bounds of a river’s waters. Time and again that caution saved her a thorough dunking as she made her way across, though both her tension and impatience mounted as the storm seemed to be growing closer and the light in the sky was lost.

In darkness her hooves touched the opposite shore, and with little hope of finding a good campsite without some light, she moved inland before setting to work on some of the twigs she’d collected throughout the day eventually getting a branch to catch flame and light her path.

The earlier lack of predators made her singularly incautious in that regard, but she understood in some way that she was not here to battle the forces of nature. Nor would they seek to hinder her in her Proving. And so as she made her way among the hills that guided her steps upward, she looked only for a place to settle in against the storm that had finally decided to show itself.

Flashes of lightning now punctuated a roiling mass of clouds overhead, and the flame at the end of her tree branch guttered as a downdraft pushed the warmer air up in order to let the storm in. Instead of the whisper of leaves, the echo of thunder and the hiss of hillside grasses accompanied her as she sought a crevice or cave in which to shelter. Eventually, on the incline of a hill she found an arch made of stones that offered a way under and into the rock. It was set in such a way that she doubted she’d have to worry about too much flooding, and so into and under the hillside she descended.

Grateful to be out of the wind and the rain that a few stray raindrops had heralded before she’d made it inside, she paused a moment to study her surroundings as the last bits of her branch gave light to the rocks, dirt, and stones that were to be her new dwelling for a while.

She’d had to duck as she made her way inside, but after a few steps the rocky ceilling opened up above her as the ground sloped steeply down. The scent of heat and earth held sway as the flames of her branch-made-torch led her deeper into the cave. Eventually, she conceded that this passage continued far beyond where she’d entered, and as she turned to make her way back closer to the entrance, she felt the rush of cooler air within the cave that portended the rain’s arrival.

It was at that moment that her torch decided to die, the flames fluttering to darkness as the storm’s winds finally caught them and snuffed them out. Far above her she could hear the hiss of rain echoing along the rocks at the cave’s entrance, and soon after came the steady plop of water as it filtered from the upper stones of the entrance to the ground below. There would be a small stream along the center of the cave floor soon enough.

Needing the reassurance of another surface apart from the one on which her hooves now rested, she shifted to the side until her fingers finally found the contours of the cave wall. She’d thought she’d have more time, her torch sheltered from the wind, to transfer the fire to another branch. But eventually, as she listened to the dimmed fury of the storm outside the cave’s entrance, her other senses began to adjust to the lack of fire.

The first thing she noticed was the chill that took up residence along her arms. Then came the scent of water as it met earth and stone and made its way beyond the cave entrance into the cave itself. Old earth and fresh water—the two battling until earth gave up the fight. She caught flashes of lightning far, far back and up the path she’d taken, but there was something else she heard now as she gave herself over to the darkness.

Behind her a soft humming had begun to fill the air—like the ringing in one’s ears when confronted with sudden silence, only this ringing didn’t disappear or get lost in the sounds of the raging storm above. Turning away from the path that led back toward the entrance, her eyes now caught the faintest hints of blue, glowing light. It seemed to grow brighter the longer she waited and watched.

Lichen? Mold? Fungus? She wasn’t certain what lit the way, but she found herself drawn further downward into the cave, anxious to be closer to the light that traced along the upper walls and sides of the cave, though the ceiling remained an unknown. She could tell it was high overhead, however, as the sound of her hooves echoed in the depths above.

Eventually the ringing sound wasn’t only in her ears. It seemed to vibrate the air all around her, and along the base of the walls were shards of blue and gold stone that seemed to gleam with its own inner light, brightening the world around her until she could easily see the stalagmites and stalactites woven within the confines of a large, open cavern.

As she walked further beyond the cavern, she saw whole parts of the walls and floor were alight with the strange glowing material that seemed to make up this hill and presumably these mountains. Eventually she came to a whole wall where the blue-gold stone formed what seemed a bubbling trail that descended into a pool of the same stone on the ground, forming another wide cavern. It was so strange and beautiful that she found her progress arrested as she reached to trace the bubbles—bits of stone themselves, though worn smooth or frozen somehow in what might have once been a true blue-gold flowing river of stonelight.

The power of this place shivered through her, such that she chose to sit down along the shore of regular stones that rimmed the lake of stonelight. She’d heard stories about the blood of Azeroth and seen jewelry and other accoutrements made of the stone, but never in all her years had she seen anything as truly amazing as this. As she marveled in silence at the beauty that surrounded her, a vision began to take shape before her.

“Not now,” she whispered, almost pleading with her power to just let her have this moment in peace. Thinking perhaps the lifeblood of the Earth Mother herself could stop it, she leaned down and pressed her fingers to the striated glow of the lake before her.

Blue-white light blinded her eyes, and she felt herself slipping to the ground, unable to stop her body’s fall. But she never felt the hurt of hitting the hard stone, the Presence pulling her into Itself as a vision took hold.
~~~~~<@ @>~~~~~

1 Like

Part 6

“Where there is darkness, you are my light. When the shadows rise, you stem the tide. Be neither troubled nor tired, nor ever afraid, for in each other you shall always find me. You are stronger together, but you are never alone.”

She had been expecting pain, but instead the words rang through her thoughts, quelling her fear and drawing her spirit to silence. The brightness of a moment before began to settle into a soothing hum, white fading to blue fading to a liminal color between what Ystas would have considered night and day.

There the face of a woman appeared—a strange creature that was neither tauren nor titan, but instead a shifting mélange of features that seemed to encompass every kind of life that existed on Azeroth. Her right eye held the brightness of the sun, and her left eye held the gentle light of the moon. Upon her cheek a tear had fallen—its teal blue a constant against the shifting features and colors of her face. Within the embrace of the Sky Father, the Earth Mother had appeared.

Her body seemed to shift and reshape; hills, mountains, oceans, and every other feature that graced the world of Azeroth gave her form. And when she spoke, her words drifted down over her body shrouding its features in clouds.

“I gave those words to my children when I cast them from me to wander the skies so that I might contain the darkness that sought to take my will. They alone are free from the voids within me, but you share my burden. Like me, the void seeks to take your will—to shatter it into innumerable pieces with which it might continue its conquest. It desires to consume all things so that its power may grow in order that it might devour even more. It has no other reason than this.”

“In An’she dwells my desire to protect and shelter—to give strength and light and life to the world.” As she said this, a hand reached up to pluck the orb from her eye. Within the liminal sky she set it free.

“In Mu’sha rests my hopes and dreams; she is a reflection of her brother’s love, but in her heart lie the powers of empathy, forgiveness, regrowth, and healing.” So saying, she took this second orb and set it into the space around her body and sent it circling about her, as though she couldn’t bear to part with her daughter.

Time passed as she and her daughter danced together while An’she and the Sky Father watched over them. But Ystas could tell that being apart from her children caused the Earth Mother a great deal of pain. The tear upon her cheek grew larger until it fell at last to join her daughter in the dance.

“This is my sorrow that longs for the children of my heart. But it is also my love for them. I leave it with them so that they may always know my heart and the pain I feel at our separation.”

The sightless eyes then turned their gaze toward Ystas. “Although these words are an allegory, there is a truth in them, as well. Although I can no longer see my children, I can feel their pull just as you do. And sometimes, through your eyes, I can find them again.”

“But the void seeks them, too, and so you must help me to protect them—my children and my heart.”

As the Earth Mother, the Sky Father, and her children faded from view, a cascade of images replaced them. Hundreds of thousands of years of history played out across an endless expanse; even when Ystas sought to focus on one moment or a figure within the tapestry of time, they were gone an instant later, replaced by someone and something new. Eventually the images grew closer to the present, and suddenly Ystas was confronted with her own image.

The tauren before her looked different to her eyes than the one she had sometimes glimpsed in mirrors or watery reflections. This Ystas bore the mark of the Earth Mother’s eyes—An’she upon her right eye and Mu’sha upon her left. Between her eyes rested a teal teardrop. This Ystas seemed strong, uniting the world upon which she stood with the sky that spread out above her. Her vision was clear, unblemished by doubt; she stood as a bulwark against the void that sought to consume everyone and everything. And she kept them safe—not solely through her own power, but with the eyes and heart of the Earth Mother to which she was connected by birth.

“Never forget what you have seen here, Daughter of the Snow.”

As the ringing words faded from her thoughts; so, too, did she fade from the world.
~~~~~<@ @>~~~~~

1 Like

“By the light of An’she I shall exact my vengeance upon all those who seek to harm the Earth Mother and the Kodohorn tribe. My wrath is endless, and its reach is vast. Defy the Sun, and it shall burn you. And I am a servant of the Sun–the Will of An’she made manifest!”

OOC: Woo! Hello, Kodohorn Tribe! Let’s get some Sun Walker shenanigans up in here!

1 Like

Part 7

When she sensed herself once more, there was only darkness. It wasn’t the darkness of a cave or the darkness that came from an overgrown forest. It was pure darkness—no light set within it to guide her way.

Left, right, forward or back, even up or down—nothing changed the infinite void around her. It was as if every other thing that had once existed had ceased to do so save for herself and this darkness.

“Hello?” Her query left no echo, and the sound seemed to be swallowed less than a foot away from her, as if she had never spoken.

She waited for a short while before giving up with a resigned sigh.

This was what it must be like to live an eternity in the Void—no one else, only her own voice, her own thoughts. There was no journey, nothing to explore. Nothing to see. Nothing to do apart from existing. If she chose to remain, madness would slowly consume her—or so she suspected. And if she gave up, there would be no more Ystas—no more Seer of the Kodohorn tribe. No more burdens to bear or troubles to worry over. But if she did that, the Void would win—her existence devoured like that of so many others before her.

“YOU ARE WRONG.” The sudden discordant tones oozed through the nothing around her, making her frown and hunch her shoulders at the wrongness of it. She didn’t want this, whatever it was, conversing with her. It was like the words were somehow more than that—penetrating into her very being and seeking to replace her with that discord.

“WE ARE ALL THINGS.”

“EVERY POSSIBILITY. EVERY PATH.”

“WE HAVE/WILL HAVE CONSUUUUMED THEM.”

As if to prove its point, a seemingly infinite number of Ystases appeared before her. There was a Ystas that stood over a destroyed Kodohorn Tribe, blood dripping from a long, curved blade; a Ystas wreathed in dark flames that tore through the universe, burning everything in their path; there was a Ystas that lay dead alongside her parents as Grimtotem warriors streamed past down the mesa path toward Thunder Bluff. There were Ysas with powers, and Ysas with weapons, and even Ysas enslaved. The number and variety of herselves was crushing—more than her mind could bear.

She tried to close her eyes, but that only made the weight of them somehow more pressing. “Take them away! They are not me!”

A discordant sound of discontent echoed all around her, but the infinite realms of Ystas disappeared.

“YOU ARE WRONG.”

“THEY ARE ALL YOU.”

Ystas shuddered, curling in on herself as she slipped to a ground beneath her that she wasn’t even sure was actually there. Still, she believed it would be, and so with her knees curled up against her stomach, she pressed her face down against her knees, shoulders still hunched as her arms encircled her legs. It wasn’t that the voice was wrong; what scared her, and what she was trying to hide and preserve herself from was the truth that, all of those Ystases had, in fact, been her.

“YOU POSSESS ALL OF THESE FUTURES.”

Curling in more tightly upon herself, she mumbled, “I do not want them.”

“IRRELEVANT. THEY ARE ALL YOURS.”

The voice began to change and morph, the discord flowing away to melt under another’s voice. It was a familiar one, and one that almost made her flinch as she detected the subtle nuances of the void’s own tones within it.

“Whether you choose them or not, you have the power to become whatever you desire. And I can help you to embrace those possibilities.”

Molo’ak’s voice held all the same warmth and caring that she remembered, yet somehow those same characteristics that she admired in him were warped. As she lifted up her head, she saw him kneeling before her, his manner and his mien confusing. The tenderness of his caring eyes was tempered with desire, and the closeness of his presence was oppressive rather than warm.

“No. Not him,” she almost growled, her head shaking slightly. “Anyone else, but not him.” The tone of her voice carried the weight of force, enough so that whatever this thing of the void was, it was compelled to obey her wishes.

As Molo’ak melted into the nothing, a series of other visages and forms took shape in the void until they finally settled on one in particular. A large, tawny-furred, sun-maned, female tauren she’d never met before stood before her.

Clad in bright plate armor and bearing the mark of An’she proudly, she exuded a vengeful presence. This was a woman who was self-assured, her power an extension of her will. And at the moment, her will seemed to be twisted with hatred for Ystas.

“Pathetic,” the woman said, her words touched with disdain. “You are offered a wealth of power, but you would rather settle for me.” The last was spoken with a smiling sneer. As the Sun Walker regarded the curled up mess at her feet, the her eyes blazed with disgust.

Ystas was caught by surprise when her plated leg lashed out toward her, her hoof crashing into the side of her face and sending her sprawling against the nothing ground.

“I will obliterate you until you are nothing but a puppet of my desires.”

The Sun Walker advanced toward her as Ystas scrambled to her feet. Something kept nagging at her thoughts as she dodged and sought to block the ceaseless series of attacks that were levied against her. More than a few times she ended up thrown to the ground or knocked back a short distance. She’d considered calling on the power of An’she and Mu’sha, but she remembered that the Earth Mother had told her the Void was seeking them, too. And so she fought as best she could without them, though her strength lay in those things which she was unwilling to use.

“Is that all you can do? Cower and run away? What use are you to anyone, much less the Kodohorn tribe?” The Sun Walker taunted her as their fight continued. “If you refuse to fight me, you are going to lose.”

Still that nagging thought persisted at the back of her mind. What was it? What wasn’t she seeing?

“No. Not him. Anyone else, but not him.”

She remembered the moment that she had forced the Void to change its visage. Again and again she replayed that moment over in her mind, and then it hit her (as did the Sun Walker’s fist). Still, realizing what she had done in that moment, she finally knew what she needed to do.

This time as the other woman approached her, Ystas stood her ground, waiting for the moment when the Sun Walker would attack. Just as she saw her fist drawing back to strike, Ystas spoke with all the force of her will.

“STOP!”

The woman before her seemed frozen though her eyes reflected first frustration, then confusion–and then anger. The Sun Walker was unable to speak or even move.

Ystas marveled at the power she had created with a mere word and her own will. Circling about her immobilized adversary, she considered what she had just done.

“You have no power over me,” she said to that stilled form, and as she spoke those words, the other’s eyes were caught with the first fraying edges of fear. “You are a part of me, but I can control you.”

“-That’s- why you want to destroy me…so you can control my power.”

“My will.”

As the darkness around her faded, she heard an infinite stream of screams—rage, frustration, fear, anger, anguish, pain, despair…. And she found herself standing on the shore of an island, the wind ruffling the fur of her hair and mane. The screams faded as the sounds and smells of the ocean rose to replace them, and Ystas felt a profound sense of accomplishment. Some part of her had learned to recognize the Void within herself. It was part of the Seer’s gift that she had been given, but no longer would she allow it to control her. And while she wasn’t keen on delving into the depths of that power just yet, she knew given enough time she might one day be able to master it.

Exhilarated and exhausted, she made herself a bed behind a sun-warmed sand dune, covering it with bits of sea grass for softness. And as she lay down, she stared up at the many stars overhead, wishing she could hear their songs as she had once before. And watching over her from above, Mu’sha and Lo’sho drew down the ocean tides while the Sky Father sent the Earth Mother’s breath to swell the waves—a welcome lullaby impossible to ignore, as Ystas finally found sleep.
~~~~~<@ @>~~~~~

2 Likes

Part 8

Ystas woke just as the sun was piercing the horizon, its red hues setting a tone of warning for the day ahead. Storms were on the way. She shivered a bit, pulling the blanket she’d been sleeping under closer about her for a moment. But even though An’she gave warning, his warmth and light banished the worries his warning wrought, stirring her from her cocoon as she embraced the new day.

Looking about her, she found that she was on a small island not far from the murky coast of the marsh.

As she had done before, she called upon the children of the Earth Mother to aid her in her crossing of the waters between. While she wouldn’t have minded a morning swim, the salt and brine of the water was not something she wanted to endure until she could manage a real bath. And so, levitating above the waves, she drifted back toward Dustwallow’s shore.

As she travelled, she recalled the dream she’d had the night before. In it, she’d seen the large sword that been plunged deep into the Earth Mother’s side. It seethed with the power of the one who had wielded it—a combination of purpose and destruction. And perhaps there was a hint of hatred, too—anger at that foiled purpose. The vision had then carried her to a strange land, a place where souls seemed to writhe in agony. At the center of this place stood a horned, winged, and hoofed creature, its aura of darkness like a great storm pulling in all the other darknesses unto itself—the pain and agony of those tortured souls, but also something more. This place had belonged to him once, but as she watched, several of his creations (formed much like himself) came and helped him to escape; for, as she now realized, he had been imprisoned in his own home (a foolish decision to imprison someone in their place of power, she thought).

Again the sword appeared in Silithus, but now she was soaring toward it, its monolithic features growing more pronounced. It was large enough to contain several tribes of people, and soon enough, she found herself standing within a chamber within the sword itself.

At its center the Lord of Darkness sat upon a throne. His eyes seemed to find her own then promptly dismissed her. About him his servants worked at various purposes known only to them.

With a flick of his fingers in her direction, the Lord cast her out of his domain. As though he had physically hit her, she went flying out of the room, her momentum carrying her over the edges of the sword’s extremities.

As she fell, she watched the sky darken overhead.

And that was when she’d woken up.

In the past she might have felt the immediacy of this vision—unable to discern a distant warning from a present danger. This, however, had felt …different. It was a warning; she knew that, but that dismissive rebuke that had been given to her by a creature of the…void?..darkness?—was also a message. Whatever was coming, she wasn’t yet strong enough to face it.

There was still time to prepare.

Buoyed by these thoughts, she quickly found herself once more on shore, her hooves sinking into the sand and then the muck. She knew that the tribe had headed to Thunder Bluff to observe the rites of the sharing of knowledge through stories, but she sensed that some of them still remained in the marsh, their business finished there but their preparations to depart not yet complete.

North then her hoofsteps carried her, the noises and scents of life inundating her senses. She’d forgotten how busy the marsh could be, the strange absence of such abundance upon the Isle of Trials giving rise to her present overstimulation.

It was perhaps for this reason that she nearly stumbled over the shu’halo body that lay face down in the grasses, swarms of flies circling it uncertainly.

Startled to a halt, she quickly moved toward the prone form, waving away the flies and insects as she searched for signs of life. The leathers the figure wore were tattered and shredded and several burns covered the creature’s back. Fleeing from dragonkin? she wondered.

The male carried no weapons, though she surmised that was due more to his flight than by choice. His breathing was ragged and shallow, and while she wanted to get a better look at his torso and the front of his body to see if there were any other injuries, she couldn’t move him for fear of infecting the burns.

Normally she’d have sought to administer natural remedies first, but this situation called for a different path. Closing her eyes, she placed a hand upon the man’s head. “An’she…sent your restorative light to nourish and renew this injured soul.” Golden sparks of light seemed to flow from her hand down onto the tauren’s head before drifting down over his whole frame, bathing it in a gentle, sparkling warmth.

His breathing became steadier, and she sensed that he slept peacefully, the pain of his injuries for the moment subdued.

Not wanting to waste the opportunity, she pulled an ointment jar from her herbalist’s pouch. Within it was a paste made from liferoot and kingsblood that should offer both healing and relief to the burned areas of his back. With gentle care she dabbed the mixture onto the burns deciding not to bandage them. Fresh air would be better for them, though likely more painful.

With a huffed sigh of frustrated impatience, she considered how best to tend to the rest of his injuries, for as she’d noted while tending him, there were blood stains in the nearby grass—likely what had drawn the insects in the first place.

Grumbling with a bit of a huffed chuckle, she lay down at his left side and began gently raising and lifting various part of his body to examine them. From the left to the right side she went, laying down once more so as not to disturb his rest. She found the offending culprit on his right arm and shin. But she also noted something else that disturbed her.

This tauren bore the markings of the Grimtotem Tribe.

While she knew that not all of them were cruel and violent, the initial tension of the discovery stopped her survey. Memories fresh from the island’s trials played out in her mind’s eye, and it took her several moments to clear her head.

This man needs my help, she told herself sternly, then shoved the feelings and emotions of those memories into the back of her mind. Whether or not he’d been there that day, it was in the past. He had need of her healing in the present.

So bolstered, she continued her examination which eventually led to the cleaning, dressing with a mixture made from peacebloom and silverleaf, and then bandaging of both wounds.

This done she glanced up at the sky to see that the cloud cover had already begun to move in over land. Eyeing her patient, she knew that they couldn’t remain out here among the elements, and he showed no signs of waking soon.

With a heavy, resigned sigh, Ystas lumbered to her feet and began to search the area for branches long enough to create a travois, as well as some vines to bind them together. It took her the better part of the morning and early afternoon to find and craft her makeshift stretcher, but eventually she managed to get the large tauren atop it.

The hiss of wind through the grasses and trees, and the cooling temperature told her she had little time to spare, and so she began dragging the sleigh behind her, heading for some nearby hills that were overgrown with stunted trees, hoping she might find a cave or some kindly tree roots to shelter them.

Eventually, she settled for a series of tree roots that created a cave-like covering, dragging the still-sleeping tauren beneath them. The rumble of thunder followed her in, and a short time later, every sound in the marsh ceased.

Then the rains fell.

Ysa must have dozed, the rain its own kind of lullaby, but night was near when she opened her eyes once more.

The tauren still hadn’t woken up, and so another prayer, slathering of salve, and changing of bandages was administered. Still, if he didn’t wake soon, Ystas feared he wouldn’t wake at all. For the rest of that night and well into early the next morning, she prayed over the sleeping form while the rains continued their deluge.

The roots weren’t a perfect canopy, but they at least kept out most of the weather. And Ystas had brought more than one blanket thankfully. Still the damp crept in just the same, and she hadn’t had time to collect wood for a fire. In order to keep both of them warm, Ystas draped her wool blanket over them both, curling up beside him, her back to the opening of the root shelter. It wasn’t at all comfortable, but it was necessary.

As she lay there in the ever-increasing light of day (though the clouds still kept most of it at bay), she studied the stranger’s features while her thoughts wandered back to her trials. Eventually, too exhausted to keep her eyes open, she drifted off to sleep once more.

A body shifting beside her pulled her awake. Night had settled over the marsh, and the rains had dissipated to a steady drizzle. Unable to see much, Ystas carefully shifted away from her patient.

“I wasn’t sure you were going to make it,” she offered the stirring form. “Please go slowly; I don’t know how long you were lying there when I found you, but it’s been nearly two days since then.”

The sound that came from the tauren’s mouth was tempered with frustration and disgust. “Maaagh!” A moment later, it demanded in taur-ahe, “Water.”

Ysa retrieved her canteen, then helped him to sit up before offering it to him. “Purified rain water,” she said, continuing in their native tongue.

There was a grunt of acceptance at this, and then she heard him taking several long drinks. It was a heartening sound, and the anxiety that she hadn’t realized she’d been holding on to started to ease, as did the tension she’d been carrying in her shoulders.

His hand shoved the canteen back toward her roughly, and she accepted it from him. For a time the two of them simply sat there in silence, listening to the sounds of the dwindling storm. Eventually, though, he broke the silence with a sullen, “Thank you.”

She nodded her head, though she knew he couldn’t see it. Still he sounded exhausted, and she didn’t want to keep him from getting more rest. After some time, she heard him rumble in what sounded like acceptance, and shorty thereafter, she heard him shifting once more, then the soft, easy breaths of sleep.

Assured that he was going to live, she finally made a foray outside, taking care of her personal needs before gathering a few edible berries she’d seen nearby—one of the few reasons she’d decided on the shelter in the first place.

Ducking back inside, she placed the berries in a cup she had with her, then settled back against the roots and closed her eyes.

The next day, the storm had cleared and sunlight, such as it was, made its way into the marshy murk. Over the next several days, Ystas continued to nurse the male tauren back to health, though he refused to tell her his name or what had happened. She had learned not to press people on these things, and so the two fell into a comfortable silence punctuated with various trips outside their shelter to take care of their personal needs or when Ystas went out ranging for food and dry wood—though there was little enough of that to be found.

She continued her ministrations, and though they had no fire, they managed well enough on herbs, berries, and mushrooms that Ystas knew to be edible. Of course, the mushrooms came with a slight side effect, but hunger made it a necessity.

By the third day after his first awakening, he had grown strong enough to venture out of the shelter on his own, and Ystas sensed their time together was at an end. He waited until evening, however, to tell her.

“I am going,” he said in the simple way with which he made his will known.

She nodded, as she finished a last bit of sewing on his leather breeches while he wore the blanket. She’d insisted on repairing his clothing the day before, and he’d reluctantly agreed. Getting him out of the pants had required some deft handling, but she’d finally managed it earlier that morning by telling him to use the blanket to clothe himself while she went out to forage for their lunch and dinner.

When she didn’t reply, he stared at her until she turned to meet his gaze. Biting off the last bit of thread, she tossed the pants back toward him, which he easily caught.

“Tomorrow morning,” she offered simply forestalling any protest by pointing out the obvious. “It’s getting dark, and you have no way to see.”

Settling the pants across his legs he shook his head, holding up a hand at chest level, palm upturned, fingers slightly curled as though he were holding something. Into his hand he called forth the power of fire—not a flame, but the steady warmth of it which wreathed his hand in a gentle red glow. “I can see just fine.”

So saying, he shifted to his feet and made his way beyond the shelter.

A few minutes later a blanket came flying toward her head as the shadow of the tauren she had nursed back to health returned. Navigating her way free of the blanket, she found him already walking away from her into the marsh, the red glow of his hand guiding his path.

She tried to think of something more to say, something that might stop him or keep him from going, though there was no longer any reason for him not to depart.

“You’re welcome!” she finally called out to his departing form.

And as evening gave way to night, she saw a faint bowing of his head in acknowledgement of her words. But he didn’t look back.

As she sat for some time in the darkness of the sheltering roots, she wondered if any of this had been real or if it had merely been another test. The seer within her knew, however, that this would not be the last time she saw the Grimtotem shaman; he had been no illusion. And this was no test.

Tomorrow then.

She would finally make her way back home.
~~~~~<@ fin @>~~~~~

1 Like

<3 Ystas, ty for sharing your stories, and welcome back from your vacation!

The guild ran a lot of dungeons this week, and we had three mounts drop! Grats everyone! Here’s hoping to more in the future.

I’m doing more updating on the guild ad, replacing some blocks of RP info with a more structured look at what happens when someone first joins and some of the more recent activity, and an FAQ section we have on our discord.

2 Likes