Guild Wars 2 vs SWTOR

Can you be an ugly monster race? That’s something that turned me completely off of FF14.

1 Like

In GW2, yes. Charr. They are big feline monster men.

1 Like

That might make me take a peak at GW2 one day when I’m bored.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have nothing to lose. The game is free.

1 Like

I absolutely adore SWTOR I’ll always go back and at times it’s my main game, that said this current expansion if it can be called that hasn’t been good like at all imho but I would say that would mostly apply to current and or returning players (?) like a brand new player experiencing the whole game has a lot to do and 7.1 should be out by mid summer they said so idk I feel like it’s definitely worth it from a new player pov

1 Like

I never played GW2, but I’ve been playing Old Republic since launch. I enjoy the gameplay style and the storylines, the QoL, the weekly events, strongholds and different classes.

It’s better if you’re subscriber, just FYI.

I’d suggest just try both, see where you land.

GW2.
I gave SWTOR an honest try once and literally everything was locked behind a paywall. Want to match your armor colors? Pay up. Want to hide your helmet? Pay up. Want to transmog an item? Pay up. It was absolutely disgusting and pathetic. But that was a while ago so who knows maybe Bioware finally did something right for once and fixed that mistake?

That being said GW2 isn’t perfect either, the combat will boil down to you just evading stuns and knockbacks…which every single mob has . So have fun with that.

1 Like

gw2 has the worst customer service out of any mmo ill never play gw2 again.

2 Likes

I play both wow and old republic. I like old republic. Its got good story and its fun. Try it out if you want.

I play both empire and republic, mostly empire. Dromund kaas chat is in my opinion the most degenerate chat ive ever witnessed but for me that makes it hilarious.

1 Like

So I decided to go with Guild Wars 2 and keep SWTOR in reserve.

I downloaded it last night and started this morning after WoW shut down, created my first character (human necro) which was a little more involved than I expected, started down the road on my first adventure and killed my first beasties. The in-game artstyle is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank you for all the replies. Without them, I would have done the reverse and I think that would have been a mistake.

Happy adventuring! When and if I come back this way, I will leave an update!

While I still find WoW the most fun to play and most rich with story, I suggest SWTOR over Guild Wars 2. I tried GW2, but found it lacking in the story department (this was many years ago). However, SWTOR is story rich, as close to WoW gameplay as you’re going to get, and the stories vary based on which class you pick, so there’s replayability. The downside of SWTOR is that once you finish all the story, that’s where it starts to fizzle. It’s also been a while since I played SWTOR, so I’m not sure if the end game got better.

Guild War 2 is a boring slog

SWTOR is “free 2 play” unless you need to do anything and u have to sub so…

Unfortunately I only know old SWTOR not the new one… From my understand this last expansion changed a lot of stuff from Crafting to Gear, pretty much a lot of the systems… I haven’t really read any player positives on the gear… The old system allowed you to socket mods (items) into a shell. Sounds like they’ve gone to a more Wow type system and grind.

GW2 is a decent game

It doesn’t hold my attention as well as wow, but it is a game I still regularly pick up again after all these years (literally bought it day 1 release)

I don’t know anything about that star wars game cuz that stuff for dorks

I love SWTOR but it is in a weird spot right now. They came out with a new 7.0 xpac which totally revamped classes and modernized a bunch of the game. However, there is a sever lack of new content and balancing.

1 Like

SWTOR is a good break and seems to cater more toward solo players. The economy is absolutely trashed though due to some dupe bugs that were extensively exploited in the last year or two. Story is great and graphics aren’t… horrible. They have improved the graphics since launch. They also recently added some more class / fighting customization with the last major patch so that you aren’t locked into a certain playstyle depending on your class.

GW2, it has been awhile since I played that, but it was okay. I liked the different spells based on what weapon you were using mechanic and the AH is the best of any game.

FFXIV is good if you want story, community and content. Some people are put off at the anime style though. It isn’t ALL cat girls, they added goat and bunny girls too.

I wish I could find a game like Tera with that style of action combat and dungeons. Sad to see it go. Not a fan of the huge race/gender lock, especially with the most popular classes.

Guild Wars 2 has the best story I’ve ever played through in an MMO.

Gameplay can be a little frustrating later on unless you’ve created full legendary armor (which takes a very long time to craft). I say this because you get really stuck into which builds you can play (effectively) outside the specific armor sets you’ve crafted.

That aside, Guild Wars also has the absolute most amazing outdoor content available. Even if you want to be moderately casual, you are by no means forced to raid or fractal for gear.