Guardian/Feral Skins

Why is the Mage Tower skins not obtainable any longer?

I’ve seen people whining about how they ‘had to gear up and work for it’ then turn right around and run low level raids for rare mounts. These are the same thing. I’ve seen others stating its a ‘trophy’ for druid mains and should remain as such, as if the other classes don’t have mage tower skins of their own. lastly, i’ve seen comments about it was specifically for the content that was relevant at the time, but seeing as it is a full change to the aesthetics of your ‘transmogs’ how is it NOT considered relevant?
There is absolutely no reason for the mage tower skins to no longer be relevant. ‘It’s a prize for those that played during that time!’ is a pathetic argument. at the point, is becomes arguable that transmogs from previous content, including rare items and sets.
TL;DR, bring back the god damn mage tower skins

3 Likes

While I would like a chance at obtaining the skin, I get that it is nice to have exclusive things.

6 Likes

There is one of these threads a week, especially after they announced the cross spec application. I’ve been pretty hard line on this because the tank mage tower was a really ball buster. But with passing of time I don’t really care if others are able to acquire it. I remember the enjoyment I got out of acquiring it. I didn’t get a MoP transmog at the time and I do feel bit funny every time I see someone with it. Those are just the arbitrary rules Blizzard set

3 Likes

No. They were thoroughly advertised as timed reward for over a year. The whole point of a timed exclusive is that you either earn it or miss out on it. If you didn’t play WoW then, that’s unlucky. If you didn’t get the skins because you didn’t feel like it or weren’t good enough, that’s your own fault. Deal with it. The same thing goes for past Elite PvP sets, MoP Challenge mode armor and WoD challenge mode weapons transmogs.

8 Likes

I just wish I could do the challenge again because I thought they were fun. I got all 36 skins so I didn’t really miss out on anything, but Kruul especially was a fun fight.

1 Like

I’m sad about not pushing for any Mage Tower skins too, but it’s nice to have some exclusive stuff for those that earned it. It was specifically advertised as a timed reward part of Legion, so if you missed it you missed it. I’m sure there will be cool new forms in the future!

1 Like

Much like retired mounts or MoP challenge mode sets or seasonal rewards, the Mage Tower rewards are meant to be something prestigious for those who worked to earn them when they were relevant content. It’s a pretty core part of an RPG to be able to show your progress or achievements through your appearance. Transmog has to a point stopped that (though only for still obtainable pieces) but the presence of some exclusives allows some players to keep that alive.

It’s like back in BC and Vanilla when you saw somebody with the Twin Blades or Thunderfury and knew they had to have worked pretty hard to earn those. We don’t have that anymore, so why not at least try and recreate it with some exclusivity?

The Mage Tower rewards aren’t an outlier either. There are plenty of exclusive rewards that aren’t available anymore. Yes, it sucks for some, I’d say especially druids since the customization options for forms are incredibly limited, but the answer isn’t to devalue the rewards people worked for.

The answer is more NEW druid customization.

5 Likes

I’m hoping for some covenant themed forms in Shadowlands, hopefully unlocked via Torghast.

It is definitely a shame that if you played a Druid for years and years but decided to not play during Legion, you missed out on some really cool looking forms.

3 Likes

I stopped playing Legion just before ToS came out … started up again a couple months ago… now everyone has all these badass skins. Personally I don’t see how it makes the game better by not allowing others to acquire these skins in any way whatsoever … I understand if we aren’t able to acquire them until the expansions after Shadowlands (just so the people that earned them have had ample time to show them off)- but yeah I think there should be an alternative way of getting every kind of vanity skin at some point (like how the mount currently only available to 6 month subs will eventually be available to buy as a separate store mount).

1 Like

The long and short of it is that the Mage tower forms/mogs are exclusive because Blizzard decided they would be. You can argue about whether they should or shouldn’t be, but to change it now would be going back on their word.

I love when these pop up every few months or so. I get to watch all the rage people get because they can’t get the skins anymore.

THIS. So much this. They gave advanced warning that this would not last. I dont feel sorry for anyone who didnt get the appearances.

They shouldn’t be a thing you can just go in and go roflstomp to get free skin because of it like old mounts, etc. If you want free skins, go do the artifact Balance of Power quest line, go work on getting the other artifact skins. There’s your free skins/new forms.

I missed out of MoP Challenge armor/Phoenix mount, dont see me making posts complaining about it. It is what it is. I didnt raid / do dungeons at that time, so I missed out. Whatever.

1 Like

Yeah the guardian challenge was bonkers, but at this point I say just let people unlock it somehow. It’s been exclusive for years now.

I didn’t play the game at all until BFA sooo…while I feel that there are good arguments against bringing them back, “you should have done it back then” isn’t one of them.

1 Like

It IS a badge of honor. This skin represents the months of farming, gearing, and attempting that fight for many of us. It represents the blood, sweat and (in some cases tears) that many people shed trying to achieve it.

To have someone come whining about how it’s not fair, and they should be allowed to walk in with iLvl 450+ gear and easily one shot it for the skin is insulting to everyone who did it when it was current content.

You want to try the scenario, great, that’s fine. But the skin is a no-go. Or have them re-add it like timewalking, where you get dropped down to a reasonable iLvl and player level, and then we can all laugh at all the threads of people complaining how hard the fight is.

Blizzard said from the beginning that the Mage Tower was a limited time event. You snooze, you lose. You want to have the skin so bad? Go swap images with one of us bears in town.

5 Likes

It’s no ones fault that you weren’t playing back then. If they bring back the Mage Tower skin just on the argument of “I want it because I just started playing” then they need to bring back -every- cosmetic, title, mount, etc that they got rid of due to it being a limited time event/something they just phased out.
Which they wont do because that would make a bunch of people mad. Not only for the forms (Nyan cat, Harambear, etc but the past titles, mounts, etc)
Due to the blood sweat and tears we put into getting those limited time things back when they were all current content.

It is a badge of honor.
It’s an accomplishment and a feat of strength. For a reason. The fight was a pain and it was a just reward.

I dont remember how many attempts it took for Krull to get the skin and the final elation of getting it - having earned it.

If people just waltzed in there and one shot it - it would be a slap in the face to everyone who put effort in to get it and learned the fight.

Like Viloria said - Go swap images to get your discount harambear and there you have it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reading comprehension? I didn’t say “I just started” is a reason to bring them back. I said that “you should have gotten them then” isn’t a good reason against bringing them back.

And not only do I not give a crap about the bear skin I didn’t even hint at the notion that I might want it. You just assume that. So save your smarm for someone else, k thx bai.

1 Like

Then you didnt comprehend my post either - because “you should have gotten them then” Is a good reason and I outlined my reasons in the post.

Unpopular opinion: I agree that they should bring the Mage Tower skins back in one form (no pun intended) or another. They probably wont though.

I too tried very hard and got it after dozens of attempts, and would be fine with Blizzard adding it back in at an equivalent level of difficulty. Let people attempt it and if they can get it, good for them.

The attitude I see displayed by many people who got it is just sad though. I genuinely feel bad for you if this is such an important accomplishment for you that you think nobody else should ever be able to attempt it.

2 Likes