Guardian getting 2 shot melted in pvp

Recently switched from Feral to Guardian figuring that perhaps I could live long enough to get a couple shots in. Right ok.

Holding the flag (in bear o/c) and a pally comes along dbl hits me with judgement for 15400, auto attack 1680, then Templars Verdict crits for 19,241. Total dmg 36,062. My hp 37062 = dead.

It happened so fast I didn’t have a chance to get any defensives off. Yes I have lvl 158 gear and I can only assume he is fully conquest geared, but imho that is just rediculous!!! Pally’s seem to be the worst but other classes crush me as well, it just takes a bit longer.

I’m really getting frustrated with this. Maybe I’m not understanding something here. Suggestions? Re-roll??

1 Like

Have you considered getting better gear?

8 Likes

Better gear would be the go to. 158 is pretty much fresh 60, since SL has been out long enough most people are 184+ with a lot more being 200+ in the pvp scene.
If youre just in it for PvP try and get as much versatility gear as you can. Which is also good for PvE so there is that.

I’m only at 209 or 210 in bear but sitting at almost 60k hp with near 20% verse. It makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Your issue is very gear related. Max standard PVP gear is 184, so you’re already at a disadvantage Then you folks in the 200+ as well. Not saying Ret Paladin or other class burst can’t be a challenge, it certainly can be.

The low vers and stats on your gear are going to make you quite a bit more squishy.

Conduits are important as well. Well-Honed instincts is nice to have.

Tanks take 50% more damage in pvp, that’s why.

So your mitigation will still help you be relatively tanky vs physical damage.

But you’ll get wrecked in a stun with no defensives, or by magical damage (as most of rets is).

They were forced to make this change years ago, as tanks were unkillable in pvp.

I got a 26k crit on a prot pally just yesterday, killed him in 3 hits.

Yea this is really dumb.

1 Like

Tanks take 50% more dmg in bg’s, you are tankier in feral than in gaurd

if you’re flag running and have heals go moonkin with celestial guardian and guardian aff.

1 Like

Thanks to those who explained the problem. You would think that there would be some kind of in game notification to help people understand this before they waste weeks of their life in bitter frustration.

3 Likes

You are just a couple weeks behind the others. Soon the gear will fill in.

However, you need to get your PVP weapon (good for Feral and Guardian) from Oribos. This is supposed to be your first purchase instead of all the rank 1 sinful on everything.

Also, research Master Shapeshifter (since it is bugged and does not work). Maybe use Thorns instead.

1 Like

how much %5 damage taken decrease with max versatility? When guardian has a solid %50 damage taken? lmao

“soon”

Accept the fact that you will be squishier than a hunter pet.

Completely gear related.

Don’t spec tank for PvP.

Go feral with Guardian affinity and Barkskin legendary if you want to survive.

1 Like

Does that apply to the spec, affinity, or the form overall?

Guardian spec itself.

I am very tanky as a feral druid in bear form.

Two things I see as a problem.

1. Your gear sucks. My mom has better gear and she doesn’t even play.

2. Holding a flag gets you a stacking increase dmg taken debuff

Bears (tanks) do take 50% more dmg in pvp (unfair) but I do not have an issue staying alive 1v1 or even 3v1 for a short while.

2 Likes

I’ll look into that more.

Although Guardian takes 50% more damage… dear God I couldn’t imagine what it would be like if we didn’t, the defensive stack can offset that quite a bit.

I run Guardian/Resto as I like to throw out some Rejuv/Swiftmend combos when others get pressured. Team fight wise I also Roar of the protector, and Den Mother.

Defensive wise Guardians have 2 charges of Frenzied Regen, 2 charges of Survival Instincts, then add in the Order’s Will legendary on top of that.

Although I am sure the guardian affinity increases the survivability of both Feral/Boomkin/Resto main specs. I don’t think it comes near the survivability as guardian, even with the 50% increased damage.

That’s it pretty much right there my dude. Yes gear is a huge factor. I’m not one to blame stuff on gear but 158 is abysmally low. It’s too much to not ignore.

Also, just a lack of experience in pvp perhaps. There’s no such thing, in this scenario, as “so fast I couldn’t press buttons.” Those takes gcds. You definitely could have mitigated a lot of that. Of course conduits and renown matter too which I can assume you’re also behind on. Like someone else mentioned, well-honed instincts is absurdly good.

You’d be surprised.

Im feral with 23% versatility and with Guardian affinity take 6% less damage right off the bat. Thats a solid 17% less damage taken from all sources immediately. With Barkskin legendary, you can pop in bear form, then take 30% reduced damage while healing for 33% of your health and then 12 seconds later another 33% heal. Then you also have a Frenzied regen to toss in there for another 33%.

Guardian takes 56% more damage. Your armor/stam and cooldowns do not ever make up for this 56% increased damage taken. And with your low gear level, you probably don’t have much versatility. So you’re probably taking 60%+ additional damage.

Also remember that most PvP damage is magic damage, which Guardians do not mitigate well.

Also also, your gear is considered horrible by any standard. You could be God himself and if a 200 ilvl rogue opens on you, you’re dead. Same with pretty much any class, especially with magic damage. You just don’t have the stamina and versatility to survive.

Hit me up in game if you want to discuss further. #Rathrune1885

It’s not bad but it’s not guardian tough.

I would be willing to wager it survives very similarly to a Guardian in equal gear. The only thing you get is 1 extra frenzied regen and 1 extra survival instincts. If I go Heart of the Wild, you get 1 extra survival instincts and thats it. Which still doesn’t cover the extra damage taken.

I tank in PvE, so I will test it out for you.