Guardian Buffs Incoming - Updated PTR Notes - April 30

Mastery does not affect FR healing.

So I looked at the tooltip again and I was seeing that it now costs 0 rage for the normal HOT heal, then scaling up to 30 rage after that. Slightly better than 4x the original cost, but it still seems like too much.

Read it again, then.

Then what is making FR do 24% healing instead of 18%?

Frenzied Regeneration heals for 24% of your hp over 3 seconds. One instant tick, and three additional ticks of 6% each.

It is affected by vers. Not mastery.

It’s still not adding up…vers on my bear is 3% which should still only bring the heal from 18% to 21%…confused.

edit: Nvm checked my other druid with completely different stats and its also showing 24% healing for FR. I was reading the wowhead tooltip which says 18%…not sure why.

Because in-game tool-tips don’t change when you’re stats change…Oh that’s right, they do.

Flat % tooltips do not change in game because they are flat %. Vers affecting it is a bug.

K well thx I guess.

That is not how versatility works vis-a-vis Frenzied Regen. It works like this:

Say for sake of ease you have 100,000 HP. FR Heals you for 24% over 4 ticks, or 6% a tick. So for our bear 6000HP per tick. Now let’s say we have 5% versatility; increasing our healing by 5%. That would make our 6000HP ticks heal for 6300 each, or 25,200HP out of 100,000. Or 25.3 %.

1 Like

The WoWhead tooltip says 18% because they are changing FR from 24% over 3 seconds to 18% over 3 seconds plus up to an instant 18% more based on rage spent, up to 30 rage.

1 Like

Bear buffs look pretty decent. Maybe some damage tuning but the utility coming from brez and decursing in bear form is going to be pretty big

BRes was already a thing. So it’s not added utility. The ability to decurse while in form is going to be nice. And about 14 years late. But hey, it’s all good, right? The rage gains will be nice for Bears who have issues controlling button mashing instincts. But… The FR changes completely destroy the Rage gains. So… at the moment, other than the ability to decurse in forms, Bear has gained nothing.

4 Likes

You forgot to mention the damage buff. Fr may eat more but it will also heal more too. Things are looking up this expac for bears.

FR… is still not right. I know a lot of people are just looking at it from a glance and thinking it’s amazing. But it isn’t. It is pretty close to terrible in how it interacts with rage and the cost in IFs, etc. There needs to be some adjustments made to FR still.

And yes, the damage buff is nice, but I’m not sure it has gone far enough, unless they are planning on adding an offensive CD. If they are adding one, then I think we are okay in the dmg dept. We don’t need to be great at everything.

5 Likes

The tooltips on wowhead are not accurate.

That means:

1. If you spend 10 Rage, you’re going to get 6% immediately which is the 6% initial tick of the rank 1 followed by 6% per second for the next 3 seconds, which fulfills the 24% of rank 1.
  2. If you spend 40 Rage, you’re going to get 24% immediately which is the 6% initial tick of the rank 1 plus the full 18% of the rank 3, followed by 6% per second for the next 3 seconds which fulfills the 24% of rank 1.

This basically boils down to that we will need to be even more careful with when and how we use FR. In moderate damage scenarios where you only need the baseline rank 1 healing, you’re going to target its use between 10-15 rage. In higher damage scenarios where you want to maximize the healing from rank 3, you’re going to pool rage and use it closer to 40 rage.

I respect the fact that the designers are trying to find ways to improve the depth of Guardian’s game play given how many people say its boring, but frankly most tanks are boring once you master it; so I find that to be a moot point.

This certainly does add another dimension to the game play of Guardian, but I think this change does so in a detrimental way which seems counter to the goals of actually trying to improve bear in 8.2.

4 Likes

The damage buff for Mangle and Thrash are there to make other talents that we have mostly ignored this expansion more competitive and optimal in certain encounter design situations or those that are poor at threat management be able to have a slightly easier time with AoE threat; that’s about it.

As for FR, yes it does heal for more but that adds another layer of depth to the bear game play which shouldn’t be there, at least not in the way in which they implemented it because it completely negates the goal of improving rage generation and us being able to maintain adequate IF stacks.

2 Likes

I agree with this. They are trying to make it interesting. But instead of focusing on making your damage interesting, they are making your healing and mitigation interesting. That’s… backwards. Disco Bear was fun because having your own rave party for your victims was a blast. Making you have to do calculus to figure out if you are going to live is not fun. Giving more interaction with the mobs would be fun. A ranged interrupt or silence would be fun. Some form of enrage where the lower in health you get the more damage you do would be fun. Getting the ability to help yourself and others with certain debuffs is great. Tying your IF and FR together in this dance of competition for all the rage you will be generating now is not so fun. Especially since they also compete for a GCD. Not fun. Anyone who hasn’t started to consider GCDs as part of your resource along side rage, energy, whatever hasn’t been thinking things through.

Anyway, random chain of thoughts, but basically… Yeah, make it fun. But don’t make it painful. Me not that kind of Bear.

4 Likes

Is any tanking really fun though? I remember back when we only had a 3 target swipe and no defense cooldowns. Things have came a long way. The great thing about bears right nos is there going to keep getting small buffs. If the trend continues, end of expac we will be back on top.

It isn’t about being “on top”; it’s about being effective at our job and being equally competitive at it just like the other 5 tank classes.

That should not be something that we have to wait for 12-18 months and get to enjoy it the last half or quarter of the expansion. That’s why small buffs aren’t the answer unless those actually provide some meaningful and clearly recognizable benefits.

I could care less if Guardian is at the bottom when we rank the tanks, so long as we have the tools and means to be competitive. There will always be a clear class at the top and one at the bottom, but if that margin of difference is negliable, it becomes an irrelevant point.

3 Likes