Greater Pyro isn't great anymore

Oddly this spell feels pretty lackluster. I noticed that my SKB regular pyro proc basically does the same dmg as a gpie at this point in the game with our gear scaling.

Do we run SKB in arenas now? Maybe we should if we aren’t…

I noticed fire mages aren’t getting in RBGs or 3v3s as easily these days even with over qualified experience. Although necro frost is great in RBGs.

Why aren’t mages viewed as solid right now?

It’s definitely not worth it. It’s a 4 second cast for 35% of your hp.

Multiple classes can completely kill you faster than that.

It has its place in 2s when you can completely lock down the enemy team to guarantee you get it on the open with the resonator but that’s about it.

I can confidently say a class like fury could pop every cd not kick or reflect and kill you before you finished cast.

MM could do it before you were 50% through it

Most dps specs could actually

4 Likes

Yeah, gpie doesn’t work because the cast is far too long.

In a meta like this, 2 seconds should be long enough honestly. It was nerfed into the ground because it had no cd and was insanely buffed with haste corruptions but now that it has a 15 sec cd, the cast time shouldn’t be a big deal anymore.

1 Like

Gpy should have never been added to the game. It’s super toxic and either op or worthless. There’s simply no room in pvp for long casts like that, and if it’s possible to stand around casting like that there’s something really wrong with current game design (BfA) and it has to be insanely strong (op) to be worthwhile.

13 Likes

This more or less. I think its a good “fun” ability for like duels/world pvp/bgs/epic bgs but its really hard to make it worth the honor talent slot in rated 3v3.

Its either too op or too useless. I’ve always been an advocate of returning fire to ignite based spreading and mastery focused not combust 121212 i win. Gpyro could potentially have a place here if it just functioned as a pyroclasm instead on 15 second cd.

I think between the cast time and CD its pretty useless atm though, still viable for like duels or everything else outside 3s though.

Def would like to see it converted into a pyroclasm on 15 second CD instead though.

Obviously it was great in BFA when we had more health than damage could do, and no one died before the 10min mark.

1 Like

I think fire had a very good consistent damage profile in legion. Wish they would have stayed on that track for the spec.

I would love to see fire remade back into a consistent hard hitting and focus on ignite and spreading mechanics/talents.

I want to rot teams with ignite burn and pressure.

Combust 12121212 100-0 can be tossed in a dumpster forever

5 Likes

I really miss how strong ignite spreading used to be.

Another option could be to remove gpie and remove the cd from living bomb+up the damage a bit.

That way, you could choose to be set up based to play with a rogue or you could use the LB talent and play with other people.

I really miss the way living bomb used to work.

Wrath has me missing a lot of things actually…

Just had a thought, juke a kick and get a free pie? :joy:

I been trying it on PTR. Its still pretty useless to try. Just about everyone will kill you during cast time since your immune to CC not dmg.

Your still better off juking a poly into gypro in 1v1 settings and opening from there
3s not viable =(

Funny you mention it venruki just went over that. With how wrath damage overall felt better bc of consistent dmg not 10000 modifiers and 0 dmg without cds

3 Likes

Imo, TBC and wrath were the best PVP expansions.

1 Like

They don’t have to be though. DF could easily be the best PVP expansion with them going back to that style of gameplay. With the return of talent trees some simple changes could put the game in a great spot and drag everyone out of classic servers.

• Consistent damage by every spec
  • Less CD stacking/cooldown trading
  • Serious work into the talent trees, overhauling specs and shifting them towards focusing them on their themes
  • NO DOA TALENTS in trees or honor talents. Everything should have a purpose and feel attractive to use to specific playstyles
  • Tone down the survivability, sustain and self heals of majority of DPS specs

Just to list a few things. If there is a single DOA talent then you’ve failed is my big sticking point. There’s no excuse for it and its lazy. Porting over DOA legendaries and slapping them on a talent position and making an entire branch of DOA talents/ported over leggos tilts me

example. This entire branch is already DOA and fluff to bolster the tree.

https://imgur.com/a/GrRfaMT

It never was honey

Well, it was pretty fantastic in Battle for Azeroth because damage was just kind of low for how much health we had, and then it only got even more horrifying with Fire/Destro teams having haste corruptions on the Mage.

I could beat people in duels who were 20+ levels higher than me with it. I thought it was pretty great :joy:

Shadow priest should’ve had a Greater Tenta-…

Nevermind

Dragon flight could be yes. But they are still putting toxic game play interactions into the talent tree like SKB, shifting power. Many of the powers from shadow lands are going into the talent trees. I’m soo sad about it. Playing around SKB isn’t fun. Using shifting power, which is a nature ability isn’t correct with lore. I might not level my mage in dragon flight. It’s really disheartening to see we make such great progress with talent trees and then take 3 steps back with bringing in these powers from shadow lands into the builds.

1 Like

I agree and I already made a post on it on PTR. feel free to add your input as well not enough people are speaking up or giving necessary feedback imo.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mage-baseline-tree-feedback/1332790
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/fire-mage-feedback/1332656

I think the shifting power issue could easily be solved with grisly ice in its place though as its a better fit for final tier of frost branch. It also wasn’t a terrible leggo it was just more personal use and overshadow’d by everything else.

A lot of mages I know are prob gonna play evoker though its its any good. It comes across as a more stable caster gameplay at first glance.

SKB prob won’t see much use in PVP since you would have to run tempered flames for it and the combust duration on it would be reduced by 40% giving you a 2.4 second combust.

Could get SOME value but prob not ideal.

edit: Grisly ice also solves a lot of mage gripes about leveling/solo fights in wpvp/bgs/questing etc or cross kills in 2s reduced to a 1v1. Ice ward would synergize well with it too. Shifting power blows tho i’d hate to be forced into it all of DF

1 Like

I’m planning on evoker. 100%. Hopefully it will fix what can’t seem to be fixed with mages.