Graphical glitches on laptop

Ok so I have an older (4 years old) laptop I use to play wow when I’m away on business. At the lowest setting I can pull a decent FPS and use it for world quests and farming .

I just came back to wow and I noticed on my laptop some graphic glitches . Shadows appear to not match up and be all over the place . Some ground textures seem to flicker and resememble triangle like shapes . Noticed some pieces of gear have same problem. Cloaks mainly .

So I updated my graphic card driver to the very latest one available and it seemed to work (I didn’t play long enough to tell ) BUT it lagged my computer every time I use the mouse . Like every 3 seconds it would freeze for a second when I moved the mouse . Not just in wow but for everything. However if I pressed the mouse in order to move my character (making the cursor disappear ) there was no lag .

Well I couldn’t find a fix for it, the amd fix I found online didn’t apply to me since I didn’t have the setting option it told me to . So now I feel like I’m stuck looking at texture glitches or playing with bad screen lag . Anyone have any ideas to help ?

Like is there a way to update to a driver that might work ? Not the latest one available but maybe a later one than I currently have ? Lol I don’t have dxdiag or anything available right now since I’m away from home I’m just trying to get some insight on what might help me out here

Hey, Aldrisa! Thanks for the details here! With all of the texture glitches and screen lag, it sounds like the system may be overheating, there’s some hardware concerns, or poor interactions between the drivers, system, or game itself. Laptops are a bit more prone to overheating, especially if you regularly play on soft surfaces like in bed, on your lap, etc.

A bit more information about the system would be helpful in this situation, whenever you can get back to your laptop! If you can include the following:

• A screenshot of HWMonitor while running the game. Use an image sharing website like imgur and paste the URL between two ` (~ key) like so:
    `Link Here`

• DxDiag file. Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:
    ~~~
    DxDiag Here
    ~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

Hmm I don’t think it’s that . I’ve dealt with overheating issues on other devices and this doesn’t feel like it. On my old laptop I would get a serious dip in framerate when my laptop would become too hot. My frame rate remains consistent and I have no slowdown at all. Laptop doesn’t feel hot maybe slightly warm . This glitches occur sometimes when I first boot up the game.

Glitches look like this kind of. Strange triangle like flickering images when I look at the ground but if I rotate the camera they disappear . It’s only in certain areas too . I first noticed it in Silithus near the scar , and areas on Argus (where green fel stuff was on the ground it would flicker ). It’s only in certain areas I noticed it.

Aldrisa, it’s still good to check for any overheating even if the laptop itself doesn’t feel hot or warm. It doesn’t necessarily mean that overheating is the issue. The information requested will allow us to check for any concerns that can cause this issue, like throttling/bottlenecking, or any system errors that could give us some clues as to what’s going. It’s not only for overheating concerns.

We need more information in this situation to find out what’s causing the graphical glitches. From what the description of the glitches, it sound like there’s graphical artifacting happening which is typically caused by overheating or VRAM issues with the card. A screenshot of the in-game glitches may be helpful as well!

As something to try when you can, resetting the in-game settings and the driver settings are a good place to start. Along side checking that the power options are set to high performance.

Outside of this, whenever you can, please include the requested information above and we can take a look at what’s happening in detail :slight_smile:

Ok I figured it out . I changed from directx 12 to 11 and it fixed it

Thanks for the update, Aldrisa! Not sure why this escaped my mind. There was an old issue last year caused by certain driver versions for Nvidia cards, here. Sometimes switching to Dx11 did resolve it for a few folks. The flickering issue was eventually resolved for Nvidia drivers in the 431.60 update if it’s relevant for the situation here :slight_smile: