Got my charity server blade, but what server was it?!?

I finally received the Charity Server blade I bought back in September about 10 days ago. Only a screw and a little blue piece of the server was broken and rolling around (heard nightmare stories about others with broken blades when received - so I get lucky.)

Anyway, there is no “name” on the blade anywhere. I know I couldn’t pick which server to get, and it was random, but I’d like to know the name of the server, if possible. I tried calling the new blizzard store but they have no record of any orders made in September or earlier - they have a whole new system now. :frowning:

There are quite a few codes and ID tags on the outside of the server - I was thinking if I talked to the right person, they could take the code and tell me what the server name might be.

Any ideas?

From my understanding at least, the way their tech works, it wouldn’t have been a blade from a single server so there’s not really a specific answer for that.

Edit to add Blue:

4 Likes

Thanks for the information. Well, rats! I was hoping it had a name.

So how did these server blades work then? Share realms? I’d like to know more about what I got if I can.

I’m afraid I’m not very tech savvy. I have a basic understanding but I can’t even imagine how to explain it, or even what I’d be permitted to explain.

1 Like

Hmm-- I wonder if I can at least figure out what year its from somehow…

The thing is, server means several things. It can mean a physical device, like the blade you received. It can also mean a software service, like an MMO server / realm. There isn’t necessarily a one to one relationship between a realm and a hardware server. To make things more interesting, many servers today are virtualized (though I don’t know if that’s the case for WoW). That means that it’s quite possible that the blade you’re holding, has performed hardware services for several, or many realms over the course of its life. Of course only Blizzard knows the details of their architecture, but in general, there often just isn’t such a direct relationship between services and specific hardware.

5 Likes