Good time to check out swtor

I’m taking a WoW break and decided to take up SWTOR again to finish the story since the main game is free right now. The MMO has improved over the years, but I was surprised by how much it reminded me of WoW in its prime. Here are a few things I like about SWTOR that WoW devs changed or got rid of.

1. No GCD on cooldowns. This was a pleasant surprise. I can use my CDs without feeling like it’s a waste of time since I can immediately damage the enemy with a follow up ability.
  2. Story. Even modern WoW falls far behind on 1.0 SWTOR on story. The quests feel more varied and voice actors actually match with the animations of their character. You go into quests actually understanding your mission and getting motivated to know the next step. The animated/voice acted WoW quests are few and far between and the ones we do get are often cringe.
  3. Something almost every level. SWTOR got rid of talent trees, too. But they replaced it with something that gives you something new and exciting every few levels. Each time I leveled, I was excited to see what new abilities or talents I’d get!

SWTOR isn’t a perfect game by any means. But it’s interesting to see where WoW and SWTOR split in their game design. Back in the day, SWTOR felt like a carbon copy of WoW with a Star Wars filter, but now it’s rekindled my love for MMOs, something I’ve been missing in this expansion.

8 Likes

How does the game work with no GCD??

So you want WotlK again.

1 Like

Yeah look I feel like blizzard should just rip the bandaid off and just drop WotLK servers

I will wait for NewWorld to come out in April.

1 Like

It has been a long while since I played SWTOR but I am pretty sure it has a GCD.

I think people are primarily looking at on use cooldowns and those not being on the GCD when they talk about the GCD.

WoW has ALWAYS had a GCD for the majority of abilities. From a technical standpoint it simply has to or the game just wouldn’t work with people being able to push all their buttons at once simultaneously.

1 Like

Edited for clarity

Wasn’t that one of the reasons they made the big GCD change? A lot of people namely in arenas were just playing the one macro wonders which made it unfun for slower and squishy classes like shadow?

It dosnt have a gcd system its resource based like current state of hunters as for talents you have 8 choices per block 4 blocks total, limited number you can choose but there are options and probably best pvp for an mmo.

Insofar as story progression, SWTOR is absolutely superior (which makes sense, as a few years ago they specifically stated they intended to lean into this niche – they even dropped two expansions without new dungeons/raids, demonstrating how dedicated they were to this notion).

The predominating issue with SWTOR is how clunky the classes play, and how antiquated their underlying combat mechanics are in general – if they seriously attempted a re-design, from the ground up, the game could quite conceivably be considered on-par with WoW or FF.

Wait, Swotr has good PvP now? Last time I played it was just lightsabers or don’t play. Might actually look at the game again if that is true.

I have two words about SWTOR that make the game playable:

Jaesa Willsaam.

I miss running around the world with her. And that’s really about it.

If I recall correctly yes, that was one of the reasons the devs wanted to put more things back onto the GCD. It created “unhealthy” windows of burst damage in PvP all at the push of a macro.

WoW has always had a GCD. SWTOR also has a GCD.

OH yea pvp is pretty balanced overall I spent many hours on a sniper just picking off lightsabers.

you might want to check ffxiv, it’s pretty amazing.

1 Like

IDK what GCD your talking about its all resource based you have 5 basic attacks and 2 ultimate 1 finisher. Basics generate resource like hunter or warrs in wow.

Honestly you can’t go wrong with FF14ARR, ESO or Swtor.

1 Like

Then the resource system is the GCD if not exactly the same thing. There has to be some floodgate to stop players from inputting too many commands simultaneously.

Only downside to swtor is they kinda gave up on raids per say not up to wow standard but they have lfr and story modes and single player story modes you dont have to actually group to do a dungeon etc.

Thor is incorrect about this particular matter – SWTOR has a GCD.